Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mexican president push immigrant rights visit to Sacramento

By Edwin Garcia
    Mercury News Sacramento Bureau
    Article Launched: 02/14/2008 01:32:46 AM PST

SACRAMENTO - Mexican President Felipe Calderón pleaded Wednesday for California to recognize that immigration should be "legal, safe and organized," yet he also sought to assure state lawmakers that his government does not encourage its residents to migrate to the United States.

"While my government is committed to protecting the rights of all Mexicans, including those living beyond our borders, we are taking great efforts," he said, "to ensure that in the future no Mexican needs to leave our country to find job opportunities elsewhere."

"I am a president who is not glad to see Mexicans migrating to the United States."

Calderón's comments to a joint session of the Legislature came in the middle of a nearly weeklong tour of several cities from coast to coast - his first visit to the United States as president - where he has highlighted the need to restructure the immigration system and scheduled meetings with groups of Mexican nationals in places such as Chicago, Los Angeles and Sonoma.

While careful not to mention the word "illegal" or "undocumented" in his 19-minute address, which he delivered in English, Calderón has long been a staunch supporter of several failed efforts in Congress to legalize the status of millions of immigrants who either overstayed their visas or sneaked across the border.

In many ways, Calderón's speech was similar to the address former President Vicente Fox delivered to the Legislature
    Advertisement
    in May 2006. Both leaders said their administrations were profoundly improving the Mexican economy in a way that would curb future immigration.

Though some legislators may dispute that statement, particularly Republicans who have failed at numerous attempts to pass laws to discourage illegal immigration, they restrained from publicly protesting Calderón's speech. During Fox's visit, several Republicans either skipped the speech or wore buttons with the words "No más," referring to policies they believe encourage illegal immigration.

Assemblyman John Benoit, R-Riverside, called the speech "cordial" and "optimistic," and believes that Calderón, in the second year of a six-year term, will make strides at reducing illegal immigration.

"I think he meant it when he said he doesn't want to see those people leaving," said Benoit, who has proposed legislation to pressure the federal government to compensate California for the cost of incarcerating illegal immigrants.

Assembly Speaker Fabian Núñez, D-Los Angeles, who along with Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger invited Calderón to Sacramento, was upbeat after the speech.

"President Calderón demonstrated today he's got the right approach to solving illegal immigration by working to improve economic conditions in Mexico," Núñez said in a prepared statement. "That's why he's working on improving the pension system and it's why he's working on making sure he keeps inflation down."

Early in his address, Calderón reminded legislators of the common roots, history and economy that bind Mexico and California, a relationship, he said, that benefits both sides.

Quoting from a study by the Council of Economic Advisers, who report to President Bush, Calderón said immigrant workers don't displace American workers and contribute more in taxes than they receive in public services.

"I know that immigration is a controversial issue today in this great nation," he said. "But I strongly believe that Mexican and Mexican-American workers are a large reason for the dynamic economy in California."

Calderón, a former Mexican energy secretary who earned a master's degree from Harvard, invited the senators and Assembly members to work with his administration to find long-lasting solutions to immigration.

"We are at a historical turning point," he said. "Future generations will judge us by the decisions we take today. Did we work together to provide organized and humane migration, or did we continue to allow hundreds to die each year?"

While Mexican citizens receive more than $23 billion a year sent by family members abroad - mostly from the United States - Calderón tried to dispel the notion that Mexico encourages migration to fuel its economy.

Migration, he said, separates thousands of families and "carries off the best among us: our bravest, our youngest and our strongest people." He said his administration was "working really hard" to create conditions that can lead to well-paid jobs within Mexico.

Calderón and first lady Margarita Zavala arrived in Sacramento on Tuesday night after visiting Boston, New York and Chicago.

The president met privately with the Latino Legislative Caucus, Núñez, Republican and Democratic legislative leaders and Schwarzenegger.

In another meeting, cabinet officials from both governments, Mexico and California, signed a memorandum of understanding to formalize a working relationship on environmental issues such as air-quality monitoring.

"I'm so fond of you because you believe very strongly in building the economy but at the same time protecting the environment," Schwarzenegger told Calderón during the signing ceremony in the Cabinet Room.

Schwarzenegger, who visited Mexico on a trade mission in November 2006, weeks before Calderón took office, told Calderón he looked forward to another trade mission, though a date hasn't been established.

The leaders attended a luncheon in the president's honor, then Calderón shuttled to Sonoma County to visit Robledo Family Winery, whose founder is a former migrant worker from the president's home state, Michoacán.

With rolling hills and rows of grape vines as the backdrop, Calderón said he would like to work with Schwarzenegger and the federal government to establish a program for immigrant workers.

Speaking in Spanish to a group of Mexican migrant workers and winemakers gathered for the event, Calderón said, "We came to be here with you to defend thousands of families of Mexican workers that are here because of a natural phenomenon, that compliments the economy of the U.S. and the economy of Mexico. If we want to seek prosperity for our cities we have to have this prosperity together."

Robledo said it was rewarding to have the work of Mexicans recognized by Calderon.

"I feel very happy and proud," Robledo said, also speaking in Spanish. "This is a historic day to have the president see us here."

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_8258426

Banned
    "I know that immigration is a controversial issue today in this great nation," he said. "But I strongly believe that Mexican and Mexican-American workers are a large reason for the dynamic economy in California."

Last I heard , the economy of Calif was in the sewer

I wonder if someone told him that that booming economy in California is 14 billion dallars in debt..UMMMM probably not!!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Quoting from a study by the Council of Economic Advisers, who report to President Bush, Calderón said immigrant workers don't displace American workers and contribute more in taxes than they receive in public services.
    Blantant lies. Propoganda.

"We are at a historical turning point," he said. "Future generations will judge us by the decisions we take today. Did we work together to provide organized and humane migration, or did we continue to allow hundreds to die each year?"
    It has been reported that illegal immigrants die illegally crossing the border when the group they are with abandons them and leaves them to die.

Read over 200 die annually while illegally crossing the border--they knew the risk and made the decision.
    9490 American citizens die annually as the result of illegal immigration and not one of them had a choice in the matter.

While Mexican citizens receive more than $23 billion a year sent by family members abroad - mostly from the United States - Calderón tried to dispel the notion that Mexico encourages migration to fuel its economy.
    Calderon has 23 billion reasons for amnesty. There should be a hefty tax on remittances to foreign countries. He seeks amnesty for a huge bloc of potential voters who 'put Mexico first'.

"I'm so fond of you because you believe very strongly in building the economy but at the same time protecting the environment," Schwarzenegger told Calderón during the signing ceremony in the Cabinet Room.
    How touching--Schwarzenegger is fond of Calderón because of building the economy and protecting the enviroment.

How about some concern over the attacks on our border agents and the new booby trap intended to decapitate a border agent! What about some compassion for those killed, injured or harmed by illegal immigration Governor Schwarzenegger!

"The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic state itself. That, in its essence, is fascism - ownership of government by an individual, by a group, or any controlling private power."
    Franklin D. Roosevelt
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)