http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/ ... cans.shtml

Monday, June 26, 2006

Mexican workers held in Skowhegan jail

By LARRY GRARD, Blethen Maine News Service

Copyright © 2006 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.
E-mail this story to a friend

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ADVERTISEMENT

Email: *
Name: *
Cancel Send

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SKOWHEGAN — Three Mexican workers with Washington state addresses, working on construction of a greenhouse in Madison for a Dutch company, were placed on immigrations holds Sunday, and two of them were questioned about the reported sexual assault of a Waterville woman. Daniel A. Summers, a Skowhegan police detective, said U.S. immigration officials, acting on word from Skowhegan police about the assault report, made the detentions early Sunday morning. Summers said he spent the next 10 hours interviewing the two suspects and will continue his investigation today.

Summers said he had 48 hours either to make arrests or allow the immigration agency to deport the workers if they are in the country illegally.

Aldo Jacobo-Rojas, 19, Micol Olguin-Estrada, 18, and Antonio Galuan-Mejia, 26, are being held at the Somerset County Jail in Skowhegan on the immigration holds. They all have addresses in Sunnyfield, Wash., Summers said.

He said the men were working on construction of a tomato greenhouse owned by U.S. Functional Foods. Verbakel/Bomkas, a European designer and builder of greenhouses for horticultural use, is building the greenhouse for Functional Foods.

Sgt. Dean Tracy received the complaint of gross sexual assault early Sunday morning and notified Summers at 5:30 a.m. Summers said the incident was reported to have occurred at 58 Greenwood Ave.

The people in question had been in local bars, Summers said.

"I have been investigating this all day and will be (conferring) with the assistant district attorney with the information that I have," Summers said. "I'm going to be doing a lot more work here."

Summers said he spent time trying to locate a Spanish interpreter and finally was able to find a nun who agreed to interpret for the men, who don't speak English.