Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Telephone
    Information and Referral Hotline [for Texas callers] :
    (800) 843-5789

Citizen's Opinion Hotline [for Texas callers] :
    (800) 252-9600

Information and Referral and Opinion Hotline [for Austin, Texas and out-of-state callers] :
    (512) 463-1782

Office of the Governor Main Switchboard [office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CST] :
    (512) 463-2000

Citizen's Assistance Telecommunications Device
    If you are using a telecommunication device for the deaf (TDD),
    call 711 to reach Relay Texas
    Office of the Governor Fax:
    (512) 463-1849
    http://www.governor.state.tx.us/contact/
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Banned
    Without the assistance of the Mexican consulate, Humberto Leal received disgracefully inadequate legal representation. One of his trial attorneys has been reprimanded or suspended from the practice of law on multiple occasions as a result of ethical violations. Mr. Leal was convicted on the basis of junk "bite mark" science, since discredited by the National Academy of Sciences, and patently unreliable forensic evidence. Although the prosecution's case was reed thin, his defense failed to effectively challenge any of this evidence. During his sentencing hearing, which lasted only a single day, Mr. Leal's attorneys failed to present any of the profoundly mitigating evidence that later came to light with the assistance of the Mexican government. The jury that sentenced Mr. Leal to death never learned that he was the victim of horrific sexual abuse by his parish priest, which had severe and lasting effects. Jurors never realized that Mr. Leal had struggled to overcome learning disabilities and frontal lobe brain damage and spent his childhood dodging neighborhood gangs and beatings from his parents. Based on the distorted, incomplete picture of Mr. Leal provided by the prosecution, he never stood a chance.

Former President Bush directed the Texas courts to review Mr. Leal's conviction and sentence in accordance with the ICJ's decision, but Texas refused. The United States Supreme Court has found that while the U.S. has an international legal obligation to comply with the ICJ's decision, only Congress can implement the decision by passing legislation. Congress is now poised to do just that -- but Texas has announced that it nonetheless intends to go forward with Mr. Leal's execution. A stay of execution is essential to prevent an irreparable breach of the United States' treaty commitments, and to protect the rights of all Americans who rely on the protections of the Vienna Convention. And unless Mr. Leal receives a reprieve, he will die before he ever sees justice.

For more information about Mr. Leal's case and the efforts to save his life, visit www.humbertoleal.org.

Excerpt from The Huff Post . Just anthor poor misunderstood Mexican I guess. He could have had any lawyer he wanted represent him. I am sure the people of Texas would have rather had the Mexican Government pay for his defense rather than them. He killed in Texas , he was tried in Texas, and he will die in Texas. He got as fair a trial as any other person gets Illegal or not. Looks like Mr Perry will hear from me again. seems to be happening a lot lately. I should be on a first name basis with him by now.

Mexican government wants Texas execution stopped

Print Story Published: 6/29 12:10 pm Share Updated: 6/29 12:10 pmHOUSTON (AP) — The Mexican government has joined the legal fight to spare a Mexican national from execution in Texas next week.

Monterrey, Mexico, native Humberto Leal faces lethal injection July 7 in Huntsville for the 1994 rape-slaying of a 16-year-old San Antonio girl.

A petition from the Mexican government accompanies an appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court from Leal's attorneys Tuesday.

They contend the lethal injection should be blocked because Leal wasn't told he could contact the Mexican consulate for legal help after his arrest in the death of Adria Sauceda. An attorney for the Mexican government says the execution would call into question the United States' ability and willingness to comply with its treaty commitments.

http://www.woai.com/news/state/story/Me ... spx?rss=69
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

tough toenails Messico... do us a favor, boycott us or recall all your invaders since their lives are so very very precious to you! Oh wait, they're only precious to you when they are making a monetary remittance to Messico.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12