Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mexicans invade Westfield, IN

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... /809180309

September 18, 2008

Hispanic-run businesses are growing in Westfield

Westfield business one of many Hispanic-run shops

By Melanie D. Hayes
    melanie.d.hayes@indystar.com

When Maracela Cortes moved to Westfield 10 years ago, there were few Hispanic-run businesses in Indianapolis or Hamilton County.

"There were no Mexican stores in all of Indianapolis, maybe just two," she said. "And here, there were definitely none."

A decade later, businesses owned by Hispanics are much more common. Cortes has joined the growing trend by opening her own beauty shop, Salon Talexa, in Westfield 10 months ago.

The Hispanic population has grown by 158 percent in Hamilton County since 2000, according to the 2007 census. In Washington Township, the Hispanic or Latino population was the largest minority at 4.38 percent.

Cortes, originally from Mexico, moved from California. She's noticed major changes in the Hispanic community during her years living here.

Now there are several Hispanic businesses in Westfield, including hair salons, restaurants and grocery stores.

"(Hispanics) are making an effort to learn more English so they can open their own businesses," Cortes said. "In California, hardly anyone (Hispanic) spoke English. But here, they pay for lessons to speak because here it is necessary."

Denis Sanchez, who was getting his hair cut by Cortes on Saturday, said he plans to learn English. Sanchez moved to Westfield four months ago from Honduras. He has family members in Westfield who encouraged him to move there.

Sanchez, 25, was surprised at how many Hispanics live in Westfield. Although that helps him feel more comfortable in this new land, he wants to adapt.

"I'm definitely going to take English classes," he said. "It's important to learn because in this country, without knowing English, you can't make it."

Sanchez landed a job with a Westfield-based landscaping company.

"I like it because it is relaxed," he said of the city. "And it sounds like there are more jobs available (in Indiana) than in other states -- and that's what one comes here for, to work."

Cortes says about 80 percent of her clientele is Hispanic, with the majority from Mexico.

"I like the tranquility," she said of Westfield. "It's very pretty, green and there are good schools."

When Westfield Middle School Principal Ed Mendoza moved to Westfield 13 years ago, there were very few Hispanics living in the town. The first non-English speaking student, a girl from Mexico, didn't arrive at his school until 1998.

Within the next two years, about a dozen non-English speaking students enrolled and the school started an English as a Second Language program. Now the school has 45.

Mendoza, who was born in Mexico and moved to the U.S. when he was 7, helps Hispanic families adjust to their new lives through cultural enrichment programs. He teaches them about the culture, helps them find jobs, translates for them and prepares them for citizenship tests. He also is an advocate for Hispanic children in the school district.

"When people move, they move in groups. It's through word of mouth. A lot of people who come here know someone who lives here. We notice that when they enroll their kids in school, they are related to someone here.

"It also has a lot to do, in this particular area, with the construction industry. There are a lot of painters, roofers, farmers, masons, and a lot of people who work in the landscaping business," he said.

The safe neighborhoods, good schools and jobs keep them here.

The number of Hispanics moving to Westfield has slowed a bit, with some families moving away because the service-industry jobs they're seeking are more scarce, Mendoza said.

"I think we are going to see a lot more (Hispanics) moving here, particularly after the economy turns the corner," he said.

Westfield Mayor Andy Cook hopes the city continues to draw a more diverse population.

"Part of our Hoosier culture has been that we have not attracted much minorities around here, and that is not a good thing, really," he said. "We here in Central Indiana, we seem to absorb minorities much later than maybe the coasts do. It's not our fault or aversion to minorities. It's just our geographical location."

Cook has seen how diversity can add to a community's culture and lifestyle. His daughter lives in West Lafayette, which has a higher minority mix because of the academic environment, he said.

Cook has seen how diversity can add to a community's culture and lifestyle.
    Are we talking about the American culture and lifestyle? Our American culture and lifestyle is being changed to that of their home countries.

Melanie D. Hayes seems giddy over these recent revelations. And not a single mention of the word 'illegal' in this entire story! How about that!

I guess we being made to believe that every single one of these new immigrants came to this country legally and are just dying to assimilate...
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Tell me what they add to the culture and lifestyle. I always hear the word "enrich" tossed around. I suppose what they mean is there is a separate business that caters solely to Hispanics......from grocery to beauty salons. Plus, don't forget all those signs everywhere, in Spanish.

Denis Sanchez, who was getting his hair cut by Cortes on Saturday, said he plans to learn English. Sanchez moved to Westfield four months ago from Honduras. He has family members in Westfield who encouraged him to move there.

Sanchez, 25, was surprised at how many Hispanics live in Westfield. Although that helps him feel more comfortable in this new land, he wants to adapt.
    It just makes me sick the way they idly chat about coming here from Honduras because his family in Westfield encouraged him to move there. And Sanchez is so surprised at how many Hispanics there are and it makes him feel "more comfortable in this new land."

HELLO? THESE ARE ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS. THEY ARE TRIPLING OUR POPULATION. NO ONE WANTS OR ASKED THEM TO COME HERE ILLEGALLY. THEY ARE ADDING TO URBAN SPRAWL, CROWDING OUR SCHOOLS AND HOSPITALS. YET THEY JUST ACT NO NONCHALANT ABOUT THE WHOLE THING.

IF ONLY I WERE IN CHARGE...................
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I am not surprised at any of this. Just driving around the city, a hotel maid that made up my room every day was from Eritrea. The guys that own the local gas station are from India, the guys in the computer shop are from China, the guy that is at the convenience store is from Uzbekistan, and there are a couple of guys working at the local health food store speak Russian amongst themselves, the grocery employees and managers at the store around the corner speak every dialect of Spanish from Central and South America, there are a few employees from Korea at the local office supply store, and the folks manning a local medical supply store are from Lithuania and one of my mom's doctors is Nigerian. I could go on but I won't.
    I usually tell the person what a lovely accent they have and where did they originally come from? Cute, the Chinese guy at the computer repair shop said he also could not understand what the Microsoft call centers in India were talking about when he needed to ask questions.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"I like the tranquility," she said of Westfield. "It's very pretty, green and there are good schools."

That's what it used to be for many of us........

Have to atleast give them credit for wanting to learn English and to adapt to atleast some this culture......as long as in their attempt to adapt, they aren't running the regular residents out and confusing that with fitting in. The latest ones have been far from "fitting in" as much as running people out and taking over.

Does kill me that the attitude is you just call and say come on down and the whole town comes in to join you. Old home week, except not at home.