Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

MEXICO: Calderón slams U.S. idea of building wall at border

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/14992586.htm

Posted on Sat, Jul. 08, 2006
    MEXICO
    Calderón slams U.S. idea of building wall at border
    Mexico's next president rejected the notion of a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border, instead embracing a citizenship proposal.

BY KEVIN G. HALL
    McClatchy News Service

MEXICO CITY - President-elect Felipe Calderón on Friday took sides in the battle over immigration, blasting a U.S. congressional plan to build a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border while endorsing a U.S. Senate proposal that would offer a route to legal citizenship for millions of undocumented Mexicans living in the United States.

''The solution for migration is not to build walls,'' he said.

Calderón also called for a joint development fund among Mexico, the United States and Canada that would finance public works construction in poor areas of Mexico.

''A kilometer of highway in Zacatecas or Michoacán can do more to reduce migration than 10 kilometers of wall in Texas or Arizona,'' he said.

He also ruled out reopening the agriculture provisions of the North American Free Trade Agreement, which took effect in 1994. Instead, he pledged a new government program focused on helping farmers hurt by imported U.S. corn.

ELECTION TUG OF WAR

Calderón's comments to foreign reporters were his first since the completion Thursday of the official ballot count that showed him the winner by a slim 0.58 percentage point. His leftist rival, Andrés Manuel López Obrador, has promised to challenge the result. Calderón had met with Mexican reporters on Wednesday.

But Calderón appeared as confident in his victory as if he'd won the election by a landslide. In addition to criticizing proposals for a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border, he rapped China for its human rights record and promised an aggressive foreign policy that would push Mexico into a leadership role in the Western Hemisphere.

He said a ballot-by-ballot recount demanded by López Obrador was unnecessary and predicted that the Federal Electoral Tribunal would quickly validate his win.

He made a point of bolstering his democratic credentials, pointing out that his National Action Party, or PAN, fought for decades to make Mexico democratic when it was ruled for 71 years by the oft-corrupt Institutional Revolutionary Party, or PRI.

TOUTING DEMOCRACY

And he questioned his opponent's democratic pedigree, noting that López Obrador's campaign coordinator, Manuel Camacho Solís, held the same job in 1988 for the PRI when it was largely seen as having stolen the presidential election from the founder of López Obrador's Party of the Democratic Revolution (PRD).

''Let me remind you that I was fighting for democracy when my political adversaries were fighting against democracy,'' Calderón said.

Calderón will be only the second Mexican president not affiliated with the PRI since the 1920s. In 2000, the current president, Vicente Fox, also a PAN member, became the first. For the first time, the PAN will also control the largest number of seats in Congress, though not a majority.

But Calderón said he would quickly reach out to small splinter parties and the PRI to build a majority.

Calderón's apparent victory ends the streak of Latin American elections that put left-leaning governments in office. Mexico joins Colombia as the only other Latin nation with a conservative government, and Calderón said he would work hard to bridge ideological differences and forge closer relations with neighbors in the hemisphere.

A key reason for Calderón's apparent win was his attack ads on López Obrador, which compared him to Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez, a vocal U.S. critic. Calderón smiled broadly when a Venezuelan TV correspondent asked about Venezuela's vice president, José Vicente Rangel, who labeled Mexico's election results as ``suspicious.''

''I'm sorry to have disappointed them by winning,'' he said.

MENDING CUBA RIFT

Mexico's relationship with Cuba was severely strained under Fox, who joined the United States in criticizing the lack of civil liberties on the island nation. Calderón said he'd seek a constructive relationship with Cuba because it would be in the interest of Mexicans.

But he also took a backhanded jab at Castro by noting that ``before I was even born, he was in power.''
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

He also ruled out reopening the agriculture provisions of the North American Free Trade Agreement, which took effect in 1994. Instead, he pledged a new government program focused on helping farmers hurt by imported U.S. corn.
    Now I'm no NAFTA fan......I'm also not an open borders fan. But you can't have it both ways. They would have their cake and eat it to and we're stuck taking out the trash.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Calderón also called for a joint development fund among Mexico, the United States and Canada that would finance public works construction in poor areas of Mexico.
    Thems Fightin Words you piece of crap!

THANK YOU for injecting me with a huge shot of adrenalin!!!

And, my gut says that this is only the beginning of Americans kicking your cheating, Mex ass along with the rest of the globalists and that includes the American administration & Congress with a little UN thrown in for good measure

EQUAL OPPORTUNITY KICK-ASS is what I'm now calling it
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)