Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mexico Gets Go Ahead For Consulate In Boise

Mexico gets U.S. go-ahead for consulate in Boise
    Congressman Bill Sali had sought a delay, voicing concerns about ID cards for illegal immigrants.

BY ERIKA BOLSTAD - ebolstad@idahostatesman.com
    Edition Date: 05/03/08

WASHINGTON - The Mexican Embassy hasn't set a date for opening its consulate in Boise, but Mexican officials say the U.S. State Department has green-lighted the plan.
    The Mexican government is still looking for a location and hasn't determined who the highest-ranking official will be or how many consular staffers there will be, said Ricardo Alday, a Washington, D.C., spokesman for the Mexican Embassy.

The consulate is set to be the Mexican government's 49th in the U.S.

All consulates require the approval of the U.S. State Department.

Generally, consulates open without objection. But this week, Rep. Bill Sali, R-Idaho, asked Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice to delay approval for the Boise location until the U.S. government had addressed "the moral and constitutional duty to take into consideration how foreign consulates affect our fellow citizens here in our own country."

Sali said in a press release that he is especially concerned about the "consular cards" issued by the Mexican government at consulates across the U.S. Illegal immigrants often use such cards as identification when they rent apartments or open bank accounts.

But the U.S. government has typically welcomed Mexican consulates with open arms. Last week, President Bush and Mexican President Felipe Caldern reopened the New Orleans consulate, which originally opened in 1822, the New Orleans Time-Picayune reported. The two presidents were in New Orleans, along with Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, for the North American Leaders Summit.

The Mexican government closed its New Orleans consulate in 2002 as a belt-tightening measure, the Times-Picayune reported. But the government reconsidered its decision in 2005 after Hurricane Katrina, when thousands of immigrant workers - both documented and undocumented - moved to New Orleans for cleanup and construction jobs.

Until the New Orleans consulate reopened last week, an estimated 30,000 Mexican citizens in southeast Louisiana were relying on diplomatic services provided out of Houston, the Times-Picayune reported.

Typically, a consulate's role is to protect citizens abroad, provide government services, strengthen relations between countries and promote cultural and business ties.

Often, Alday said, the government chooses places where local government or business leaders have requested a consulate or where there is a significant need in the population.

In addition to the Boise office, the State Department also approved the Mexican government's plans to open a consulate in Anchorage, Alaska. No site has been chosen yet for the Alaskan consulate either, Alday said.

Boise officials said Friday they had not received an application for a Mexican consulate.

Despite repeated questions by the Statesman, Gov. Butch Otter's office wouldn't say this week whether he discussed plans for an Idaho consulate during his recent trade mission to Mexico. Otter spokesman Jon Hanian said the subject wasn't on the trip itinerary.

Otter has said in the past that a consulate would help Idaho increase trade with Mexico and would mutually benefit both governments, Hanian said.

Once opened, the Mexican consulate in Boise will be the first full consular office in Idaho. Boise already is home to honorary consular officials from France and other countries.

Erika Bolstad: 202-383-6104
    Kathleen Kreller contributed to this report.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/newsupdat ... 69376.html
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Hope these consulates are well equipped with giving their citizens ID to go back to Mexico, we are TAPPED OUT!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

All consulates require the approval of the U.S. State Department.
    Isn't the State Department concerned as to why Mexico would need and is requesting permission to open up additional consulates?

Mexicans who have entered this country legally or have permanent citizenship would no longer be in need of a Mexican Consulate. So what's driving the need for the additional Mexican Consulates that have been opening across this country.

I would think the State Department has an obligation to investigate such needs as opposed to "green" lighting these requests from Mexico.

Tiny and SoSad, I'm posting my comments on Statesman too.

Li'l Tater Tot
    PRESS 1 FOR ENGLISH. PRESS 2 FOR DEPORTATION.

I saw that, Ex_OC, keep up the good work. I actually believe we are getting through to some of these people in there, just by reading some of their posts. There seems to be a lot more against illegal aliens, than are for them today. I also posted a link for Alipac, and will do so again before I'm done today.

Tiny, I have been on maliengus's back all day. Hhahah. so far, he has not countered many of my posts. Well, he is an idiot, what do you expect.

Now, I am battling it out with brt929. We shall see. Hehehehe. I love doing this! It is sooooo easy to counter them. Hhahah. They are "illegal immigration newbies" and staunch lib-idiots! Hahhaha. Like I give a shit. hahhahah. I just love torturing them and throwing back their own words at them. Coz they go "Huh? Wait a sec...how did that happen?" LOL!!!

Oh! Tiny, I almost forgot. I FLAGGED maliengus and brt929 for "PERSONAL ATTACKS." maliengus called me "Ex_Lax" and brt called me "an idiot." Hahahahha. They are soooo stupid and impulsive, they forget that they are libeling another person online. Hhahahhaa. All I did was use the posting rules of the Idaho Statesman against them. Hhahhaha.

Weeks ago, I flagged siagon. So lately, I noticed he is trying not to engage me....until today. My response? "I already told you I was not speaking to you. So I will not answer you question."

HAHHAHAHAHAH.

MW
    The consulate is set to be the Mexican government's 49th in the U.S.
    I don't know this for fact, but I'll bet there is no other country in the world that has 49 consulates from a single country. Anyone want to bet?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I tnink you're right, MW.

Ex_OC, sorry I didn't get back to you right away. I've been gone all day. Good job in the comment section of this article. I've had my run ins with some of them who post there, too. They can be real jerks at times. The other day, the Statesman did a clean up on them, so I noticed it was a little quieter in there today. But hopefully we can change some minds about illegal immigration, and get us some new Alipac members.

Mexico gets U.S. go-ahead for consulate in Boise
    The nasty CFR is at it again. They don't stop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast