Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mexico Issues 5 Racist Stamps of Black Character

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050629/ap_ ... ontroversy

Mexico Issues Stamps of Black Character
    By MARK STEVENSON, Associated Press Writer
    June 29,2005

MEXICO CITY - The Mexican government has issued postage stamps depicting an exaggerated black cartoon character known as Memin Pinguin, just weeks after remarks by President Vicente Fox angered U.S. blacks.

The series of five stamps released Wednesday depicts a hapless boy drawn with exaggerated features, thick lips and wide-open eyes. His appearance, speech and mannerisms are the subject of kidding by white characters in the comic book, which started in the 1940s and is still published in Mexico.

Activists criticized the stamps as offensive, though officials denied it.

"One would hope the Mexican government would be a little more careful and avoid continually opening wounds," said Sergio Penalosa, an activist in Mexico's small black community on the southern Pacific coast.

"But we've learned to expect anything from this government, just anything," Penalosa said.

In May, Fox riled many by saying Mexican migrants take jobs in the United States that "not even blacks" want. Fox later expressed regret for any offense the remarks may have caused, but insisted his comments had been misinterpreted.

Carlos Caballero, assistant marketing director for the Mexican Postal Service, said the new stamps are not offensive, nor were they intended to be.

"This is a traditional character that reflects part of Mexico's culture," Caballero said. "His mischievous nature is part of that character."

However, Penalosa said many Mexicans still assume all blacks are foreigners, despite the fact that at one point early in the Spanish colonial era, Africans outnumbered Spanish in Mexico.

"At this point in time, it was probably pretty insensitive" to issue the stamps, said Elisa Velazquez, an anthropologist who studies Mexico's black communities for the National Institute of Anthropology and History.

"This character is a classic, but it's from another era," Velazquez said. "It's a stereotype and you don't want to encourage ignorance or prejudices."

The 6.50-peso (60 cent) stamps â€â€
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"But we've learned to expect anything from this government, just anything," Penalosa said.
    So have we and it usually is not good.

Carlos Caballero, assistant marketing director for the Mexican Postal Service, said the new stamps are not offensive, nor were they intended to be.
    They should issue an idiot stamp featuring Mr. Caballero.

"At this point in time, it was probably pretty insensitive" to issue the stamps, said Elisa Velazquez, an anthropologist who studies Mexico's black communities for the National Institute of Anthropology and History.
    At last a Mexican official with a bit of a clue.

The stamps are part of a series that pays tribute to Mexican comic books.
    What about the tribute to their border crossing handbook?

Publisher Manelick De la Parra told the government news agency Notimex the character would be a sort of goodwill ambassador on Mexican letters and postcards.
    You are joking. Aren't you????
    http://www.alipac.us Enforce immigration laws!

Re: Mexico Issues 5 Racist Stamps of Black Character

[quote="butterbean"]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050629/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/mexico_stamp_controversy

Mexico Issues Stamps of Black Character
    By MARK STEVENSON, Associated Press Writer
    June 29,2005

MEXICO CITY - The Mexican government has issued postage stamps depicting an exaggerated black cartoon character known as Memin Pinguin, just weeks after remarks by President Vicente Fox angered U.S. blacks.

Sixx says: The mexican "government, and the mexican people are racist.
    Look at what they say here in our streets. Look at the motto of LaRaza. Well I have news for these people: When the backlash comes you can only term it as "The Hate That Hate Created".

The series of five stamps released Wednesday depicts a hapless boy drawn with exaggerated features, thick lips and wide-open eyes. His appearance, speech and mannerisms are the subject of kidding by white characters in the comic book, which started in the 1940s and is still published in Mexico.

Sixx says: I always wondered what happened to
    Buckwheat, Stepinfetchit, and Amos and Andy. I wonder how many of these stamps Jesse Jackson and Shelia Jackson-Lee have ordered for those Christmas cards

Activists criticized the stamps as offensive, though officials denied it.

"One would hope the Mexican government would be a little more careful and avoid continually opening wounds," said Sergio Penalosa, an activist in Mexico's small black community on the southern Pacific coast.

Sixx says: I wonder if the black mexicans are even allowed to try to cross the border. The NAACP (can't give you the Sixx defintion here), Urban League, Rainbow Coalition say nothing about the rights of these blacks. This is disgusting.

In May, Fox riled many by saying Mexican migrants take jobs in the United States that "not even blacks" want. Fox later expressed regret for any offense the remarks may have caused, but insisted his comments had been misinterpreted.

"This is a traditional character that reflects part of Mexico's culture," Caballero said. "His mischievous nature is part of that character."

However, Penalosa said many Mexicans still assume all blacks are foreigners, despite the fact that at one point early in the Spanish colonial era, Africans outnumbered Spanish in Mexico.

Sixx says: The "old " Mex have monuments that look black in Mexico. These people are living in Jim Crow America at the hands of their own people. This is just so sad. I can't believe this.

"This character is a classic, but it's from another era," Velazquez said. "It's a stereotype and you don't want to encourage ignorance or prejudices."

Sixx says: Sounds like Mississippi in the 1950's to me. But what do I know? I am just a black man that lived through that tragic episode in this great nation.

The 6.50-peso (60 cent) stamps â€â€
    FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

California or ground zero of the invasion

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

No Sixx, believe me you are not alone!

This is the one I was trying to send you. All black Americans should see this! They say this stamp is supposed to be an "ambassador of good will"?????? I think that guy has eaten to many tequilla worms! He has to be hallucinating!

I think they knew exactly what reaction it would get and they did it to see if anyone in the US would react or just sit on their ass and take it!

Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Sheila Jackson Lee.....maybe we should send them some stamps and see what their reaction will be. Probably nothing!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God

WOW!! Mexico really stepped in their own mess this time.

True Colors....showing!!

Mexico is racist!! The entire nation is racist!! Their President is racist!! Their people are racist!!

THIS NEEDS TO be shown around the world in my opinion to show just HOW racist the nation of Mexico is and has been all along.

They have eliminated their black population down to less than 1%. Remember the article? They have done this through attrition and intermarriage.

NOW THINK PEOPLE!! When people like us who have had very little contact with Mexico compared to our El Presidente, you know the El Capitain, Condoleezza Rice, Carlos Gutierrez, knew these people were racist, HOW DID they not know? Carlos Gutierrez, the US Secretary of Commerce is Cuban, supposedly, but was raised in Mexico? He knows. Condoleezza Rice, US Secretary of State, having her "love fest" with Mexico, flew to Mexico to "assure President Foxey and his band of goons" that the United States will not tolerate racism...in response to false claims that our Minute Men are racists? She knows. Tony Garza, US Ambassador to Mexico? He knows. Bushey Boy having a love fest with Mexico his whole life? He knows.

WHY WOULD WE SEND ONE DIME OF TAX PAYER MONEY TO A RACIST NATION?

WHY WOULD WE SEND ONE FACTORY OR ONE DIME OF AMERICAN CORPORATE INVESTMENT OR ONE JOB TO A RACIST NATION?

WHY WOULD WE PUT RACISTS IN CHARGE OF OUR SECURITY AND PROSPERITY THROUGH A TRADE AND SECURITY PACT WITH MEXICO?

WHY WOULD WE OPEN OUR BORDERS TO A RACIST FOREIGN PEOPLE LIKE MEXICO?

WE WOULDN'T.

But, guess who did and can't seem to get enough of these racists?

OUR GOVERNMENT!!

This needs to be broadcast and the beans spilled on Mexico and every single employee of the United States Government that has had any involvement in this illegal immigration of racists into the United States in violation of and ....I shall repeat:

US IMMIGRATION, US LABOR AND US CIVIL RIGHTS LAW.

See now why I always include US CIVIL RIGHTS LAW?

These racists in Mexico and the United States trying to flood our nation with more racists....are doing DOWN DOWN DOWN!!!

Is this not the most ironical conspiracy in the history of the world?

The labelling of us as "racist", when we aren't, is just a smokescreen, or diversion, to hide the fact that they are!

"and the plot thickens"

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Stamps/character

Hi everyone, dont worry, God is in control, Jesus Christ, Lord and Savior, friendly Mexican here. Think you guys got dirt on Mexico? Before you point fingers, maybe you should look in the mirror. Mexico Racist? thats a joke, racist of who? We are the most loving people on earth. Now the Media and Government distorts your attention to a "Stamp", with a cartoon character Mexicans "Love". The funniest thing is that it "worked". You guys are in here bickering about a cartoon character. Where were you in the Speedy Gonzalez days? Hmmm. Its because we got more to live for than to attack cartoon artists and call them racist. Like I said, God is in control. In the Bible, God says, Vengence is mine. God bless you all and I love you all. If God was Mexican and came here illegaly, would you call him a dirty mexican, wetback, beaner, illegal Alien? Like I said, look at the mirror when you ever think of attacking another. Have a great 4th of July weekend.

Verdad? Then explain to me why you guys think it is okay for your military and police to abuse, rob, rape south and central americans who cross your border. To you guys, that is not a human rights issue, but Mexican illegal immigrants cry racist if the american border ranchers call the INS when illegal aliens trespass on their property.

Ah yes, America has a racist past. We used to have such things as Sambo, and Speedy Gonzales, etc. However, we have, for the most part, eliminated such racist stereotyping in our country. Mexico, on the other hand, still maintains it's racist attitudes, and in fact proudly displays their racism on their stamps. What makes such racism especially repugnant is they, and apparently you too, are too stupid to even recognize that it IS racist. With the exception of the Klan with a Tan (Mecha, LaRaza, and their ilk) most American do not give a damn about race. And, as explained a thousand times.. MEXICAN IS NOT A RACE... IT IS A NATIONALITY.

By the way MEXICAN, if you are here illegally, then get your ass back to mexico and get out of my country. In fact, even if your here legally, you are a guest in our land, so if you do not like what we the CITIZENS have to say, then you can LEAVE.

We used to have such things as Sambo, and Speedy Gonzales, etc.
    What, no mention of ELMER FUDD..the dumb as dirt white guy with a serious speech impediment? All things being equal, how can we ignore this obvious stereotype (tongue firmly in cheek)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast