Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mexico official: Walls can't stop migration

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 24082.html

Mexico official: Walls can't stop migration

08:16 PM CDT on Thursday, May 12, 2005

By LAURENCE ILIFF / The Dallas Morning News

MEXICO CITY – A top Mexican official said Thursday that "there is no wall that can stop" the flow of illegal workers from Mexico to the U.S. and that money spent on such measures would be better used to "regularize" immigration and fight terrorism.

Interior Minister Santiago Creel, a likely presidential candidate next year, said U.S. attempts to halt migration over the last 100 years have failed. And so will new measures approved by the U.S. Senate this week and signed into law by President Bush, he said.

"We see this as bad because building walls in no way contributes to the construction of a good neighborhood," Mr. Creel said during a news conference with foreign journalists.

"It seems to us an extreme measure," said Mr. Creel, whose powerful ministry is responsible for internal political order, national security and Mexico's National Migration Institute.

The measures to dissuade illegal immigration approved by the U.S. Senate were included in an $82 billion military-operations spending bill, which passed unanimously Tuesday. The provisions include a ban on issuing driver's licenses to illegal workers. The bill also provides funds to complete a San Diego-area border fence separating California and Mexico.

But Mr. Creel complained that while Mexico is addressing American concerns – such as deporting about 250,000 foreigners a year who use this country as a trampoline to the United States – it has received nothing in return.

Neither the U.S. Congress nor the Bush administration has moved forward on immigration issues that Mexico wants resolved, such as an expanded guest-worker program and some type of "regularization" plan to make illegal workers legal over time, he said.

The Mexican government does look positively on some immigration proposals, such as one being promoted by Sens. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., and John McCain, R-Ariz., because such plans include both a guest-worker program and a path to legal permanent residence, Mr. Creel said.

E-mail liliff@dallasnews.com

IMMIGRATION BILL HIGHLIGHTS

Here are key elements of an immigration plan introduced in the U.S. Senate on Thursday by Sens. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Edward Kennedy, D-Mass.:

•Provides visas for up to six years for foreigners who want to work in the U.S., covering those already in the country illegally and workers seeking to come to the U.S.

•Provides that, after the six years, temporary workers could apply for permanent residency if they clear additional security checks, can prove they've paid their taxes and meet English proficiency and civics requirements.

•Strengthens enforcement and raises penalties against employers who hire illegal immigrants.

•Requires Mexico and other governments to enter into migration agreements with the U.S. to help control the flow of their citizens northward and encourage the reintegration of those returning home.

–Michelle Mittelstadt

"We see this as bad because building walls in no way contributes to the construction of a good neighborhood," Mr. Creel said during a news conference with foreign journalists.
    It might not help your side, Mr. Creel, but I'm bettin' our side gets a whole lot better.

But Mr. Creel complained that while Mexico is addressing American concerns – such as deporting about 250,000 foreigners a year who use this country as a trampoline to the United States – it has received nothing in return.
    This is too easy. Mr. Creel, you buffoon, how about your second largest source of national income - money sent back from immigrants legal and illegal working here.

The Mexican government does look positively on some immigration proposals, such as one being promoted by Sens. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., and John McCain, R-Ariz., because such plans include both a guest-worker program and a path to legal permanent residence, Mr. Creel said.
    Of course they're for it. It rids them of umpteen million unwanted poor people who theygot rid of when they came here and who will send billions back there.

I have more news for Mr. Creel. There is a wall that will stop illegal immigration, drug smuggling, etc. cold - a wall of U.S. Troops and tanks.
    When we gonna wake up?

Walls

Good neighborhood? This is how neighbors treat each other? I wonder what my neighbor would think if I made my way into his home and told him I was only there to work. In the meantime, he had to feed me, give me access to his ATM card, his HMO card, and if he said anything about it i could call him a racist and get the ACLU to sue him. Oh yeah, I could rape his wife, which would send me back to my house next door. But I could go back to his house when I got out of jail, if I were sent to jail in the first place, and start the same thing all over again.These people have taken leave of their senses.

Kennedy I can understand, but McCain? Senator from Arizona?
    Looks to me like some of the money that is sent back to Mexico via Western Union on Friday is making it's way to D.C. on Monday. Do we have any real people representing us, the American citizens? Until I came to ALIPAC, I had no idea of the perversion and deceit that this issue gives rise to. I knew about the problem here in TEXAS, but I was naive enough to think that it was because we are in such close proximity to Mexico.
    I am truly amazed by what I read here daily. Maine is a sanctuary state?
    North Dakota? WOW!!! I am just at a loss for words, which for me is REALLY LOST!!! Anybody got any smelling sauce, I think I am going to faint. OUTSTANDING DARLENE!!!!!
    FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Sixx, I feel your pain. I have been on board just a couple of weeks and my eyes have been opened by this group. What is great is that people consolidate so much information here on this site. You can keep right on top of the issue and then vent your feelings. What a concept.

Remember, deep breathing, relax, we're on the side of right.
    When we gonna wake up?

Right on Sixx. How much more arrogant are these people gonna get?

One: Just the fact that this clown is whining that no walls will keep Mexican nationals out of our nation is an absolute confession on his part that he is a total FAILURE in providing for his own people. This only underscores the whole parasitical nature of the Mexican gov't. I don't blame them for keeping their people illiterate.

Two: This statement is, to me, a declaration of War.

BobC - "Right on?" That takes me back to my misspent youth in the sixties. You wouldn't be one of those aging baby boomers (like me) would you?
    When we gonna wake up?

Oh My God--This Creel Makes Me Reel!!

See, these people haven't lost their minds, they didn't have any to begin with!!

They don't GET IT YET!!

We're not going to have immigration treaties negotiated by the State Department with Mexico!!

Immigration with Mexico is over!!
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Judy
    Oh My God--This Creel Makes Me Reel!!

See, these people haven't lost their minds, they didn't have any to begin with!!

They don't GET IT YET!!

We're not going to have immigration treaties negotiated by the State Department with Mexico!!

Immigration with Mexico is over!!
    Me too, but when CAFTA and the FTAA passes there wont be any immigration issues, becuase the borders will be wide open.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Our best weapon is to educate the people as to what is going on. In the past if you harped on any of this they thought you were too political or labeled you a nut, especially Rush, everyone's idle.

People were too busy going about their everyday life and just listened to the news from the Major Media and believed it.

Trade Deals just made your eyes glaze over. We trusted our leaders.

Now that they are tripping over the illegals and having them outbid them for cheaper wages they are starting to wake up.

But we still don't have enough people willing to do anything.

They are still waiting for others to do it for them, they don't want to get involved as long as it is happening to someone else and not them.

The Minutemen have made all of the difference in the world to this issue, and I say THANK GOD!

We must spread the word....the more people we have on our side, the more power we have and then the more we can do.

This is a issue that crosses all party lines, it is a fight for our country.

Any ideas that anyone has post them.

Don't think that you are going to change Bushes mind, it was made up before they even let him run, and yes if you happen to make it into the arena and are not one of the chosen they will destroy you.

Look what happened in the past to some of the unchosen.

I have no answers except Educate, Educate, Educate.

My Rant for the day!

AGREE 100% DARLENE!!

Facts, Research, Connect the Dots, Educate, Guard, Deport, Impeach, Prosecute.

FRCDEGDIP!!

Pron: "Frack Deg Dip"

OUR SECRET CODE FOR OUR SECRET WEAPON!!

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn