Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mexico Travel Alert

Travel Alert Hurting Local Businesses
    Monday , April 23, 2007 Posted: 06:40 PM

Mexico Travel Alert

Related Stories:
    Monday , April 23, 2007
    Caution Advised for Travel in Mexico

State Department cautions people headed to Mexico

MCALLEN - A government-issued alert about traveling in Mexico is already hurting some local businesses.

The State Department is warning Americans to be careful when crossing the border and traveling in Mexico. They specifically mention the Texas-Mexico border.

Liz Cerda sells insurance to people who drive into Mexico. She says business is down forty percent.

"We have people who panic," she says. "They are saying, 'I heard the alert. How does this affect me? Can I get my money back?'"

The State Department says mounting drug-related violence and kidnappings in Mexico could put Americans in danger. Since 2004, NEWSCHANNEL 5 has been investigating an ongoing drug turf war, which has literally taken thousands of lives.

The Mexican government reports at least 700 drug-related murders this year.

Miriam Garcia of the Mexican Consulate says, "We respect that kind of advisory, but we see things in a border context."

Garcia tells us Mexico is a safe place for tourists and the violence mainly affects members of the drug gangs.

"We have been seeing some problems as well on this side," she adds.

Garcia points out we've also seen dozens of drug-related kidnappings in the Valley over the past few years. There have also been drug-related home invasions, shootouts, and murders.

But much more blood has spilled in Mexico.

The State Department advises people traveling into the Mexico to stay on the main roads and try not to drive at night. They also say stick with well-known tourist areas which tend to have better security.
    http://www.newschannel5.tv/2007/4/23/96 ... usinesses-
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Someone should TELL Garcia...:HEY....KEEP IT IN MEXICO!!!"
    We do not need or WANT that crap up here.
    What has happend to COMMON SENSE?
    <div>MY eyes HAVE seen the GLORY... And that GLORY BELONGS to US... We the PEOPLE!</div>

"We have people who panic," she says. "They are saying, 'I heard the alert. How does this affect me? Can I get my money back?'"
    I wouldn't call it a panic....I'd call it using your head.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)