http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-fox23.html

Mexico's Fox 'not even' close to apology on jobs comment

May 23, 2005

BY MORGAN LEE

MEXICO CITY -- President Vicente Fox on Sunday defended his commitment to minorities and human rights on a U.S. radio show, in his first public response to his controversial comment that Mexicans take the U.S. jobs that ''not even'' blacks want.

The Rev. Jesse Jackson pressed the Mexican president to apologize for the remark, which has strained relations between U.S. blacks and Hispanics, during an interview on Chicago's Gospel Radio 1390AM.

''I very much regret the misinterpretation,'' said Fox, touting laws created under his administration that outlaw discrimination and protect minorities.

Sharpton up next

Fox met with Jackson behind closed doors Wednesday in Mexico City after the president's comments ignited a fire storm of criticism from the black community and angered the U.S. government. The president had explained himself only through his spokespeople until Sunday's on-the-air encounter with Jackson.

''Why not apologize?'' Jackson said.

''My government has proven its high commitment to human rights,'' said Fox, adding he is eager to work with minority groups in the United States to improve labor conditions.

''That's why I feel so well in my conscience and well in my position: Because I am a passionate defender of human rights and integration of minorities and full respect to every person in his aspirations,'' Fox said. ''My comment was fully oriented in that direction.''

Jackson thanked Fox for ''showing a contrite spirit.''

The 30-minute interview may not be the end of hard questions for Fox. Activist Al Sharpton has demanded that Fox apologize when the two meet today in Mexico City.

Saturday, Jackson said he was forming a multiracial coalition in response to Fox's comments. Jackson said his Rainbow/PUSH Coalition will work with other black and Latino groups to address education, jobs and immigration. AP