Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Miamians Protest Illegal Immigration Laws

Dozens rally in Little Havana against bills aimed at illegal immigrants
    By AMARA SOHN (Immigants or ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS RALLY )
    Updated 7:00 AM EDT, Tue, Mar 29, 2011 Dozens rallied through the streets of Little Havana Monday afternoon against a handful of Arizona-style immigration laws that have been filed in the state legislature for this legislative session.

Members of the Florida Immigrant Coalition took aim at one particular bill during their "Freedom Walk" yesterday: Senate Bill 2040, filed by State Senator Anitere Flores, a Cuban-American who represents southwest Miami-Dade.

"We were completely surprised," said Carlos Pereirra. "Her district is almost completely formed by immigrants."

The legislation would require local police to question the immigration status of any person arrested and mandate all businesses to verify the legal status of all their employees through the federal e-verify system. That would prevent undocumented citizens, like Gaby Pacheco, who was born in Ecuador and brought to the U.S. illegally by her parents from finding a job.

"What they're trying to do is put us in jail," Pacheco said. "Senator Anitere Flores, who I volunteered for her campaign, she knows me very well, tell her not to do this to us."

Demonstrators called it racial profiling, while some argued the state should tackle what they say are more important issues like education and health.

Sen. Flores was not available for an interview, but she sent NBC Miami this statement:

"I want to clarify that there are various different immigration proposals in the legislature right now. The Senate's current position is very different from any Arizona type laws. Some people want to strike fear, but I reiterate that I would never support legislation that would criminalize our nation's immigrants."

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Miam ... 18599.html

Banned
    They should have protested years ago before they let the cubans take south florida.

Members of the Florida Immigrant Coalition took aim at one particular bill during their "Freedom Walk" yesterday: Senate Bill 2040, filed by State Senator Anitere Flores, a Cuban-American who represents southwest Miami-Dade.

"We were completely surprised," said Carlos Pereirra. "Her district is almost completely formed by immigrants."
    Hate to burst your bubble Carlos but legal immigrants are against illegal immigration.

"What they're trying to do is put us in jail," Pacheco said. "Senator Anitere Flores, who I volunteered for her campaign, she knows me very well, tell her not to do this to us."
    What jail, Gabby? We want to send you back to your home country, where your whole family can be together. Good for Senator Flores for listening to her constituents and not illegal aliens.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Quote Originally Posted by duckman
    They should have protested years ago before they let the cubans take south florida.
    I agree. Look at all the medicaid fraud, medicare fraud, politicians in trouble for fraud, mortgage fraud, marriages for greencard scams, and marijuana grow house, etc. the majority of the time it involves Cubans. Every time there is an arrest for those crimes people can't help but write more of those who claim they made Miami what it is today.

Here are two examples from today's Miami Herald:

CRIME SCENE | HEALTH CARE
    Medicare fraud charges follow sting
    Ernesto Angel Montaner and his son are accused of submitting millions of dollars in phony bills to the federal healthcare program for the elderly and disabled. - 7:41 AM ET

Miami family charged with health care fraud.
    The Associated Press
    MIAMI -- A mother and her two daughters have been charged in Miami with health care fraud.

Prosecutors announced Monday the arrests of 48-year-old Isabel Torres, 21-year-old Samantha Carta and 24-year-old Natasha Miranda.

Torres was also charged with numerous counts of identity theft. Carta and Miranda were each also charged with one count of making a false statement to law enforcement.

The indictment alleges that Torres had family members serve as nominee owners of several durable medical equipment companies. Torres allegedly recruited her daughters to manage the daily operations and distribute checks to hide the ownership of the companies.

According to the indictment, the three women and other family members submitted more than $12 million in fraudulent claims to Medicare.

A trial date has not been scheduled.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/03/29/2 ... z1Hzwzqa22
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"What they're trying to do is put us in jail
    Actually we don't want you in our jails but to just leave and put the burden on your own countries. You are here illegally which in laymens terms means you are not suppose to be here if you do not have the legal papers to migrate to this country.
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

tackle what they say are more important issues like education and health.
    And where do you think our money is going? We are trying to get rid of the problems of illegals collecting and using these benefits (meant for citizenry) .
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by uniteasone
    tackle what they say are more important issues like education and health.
    And where do you think our money is going? We are trying to get rid of the problems of illegals collecting and using these benefits (meant for citizenry) .
    Exactly! Check my other post about a fugitive who got free healthcare. A Colombian drug importer at that. It makes you sick.

Miami is my hometown, born and raised there, and I want it back!

I know what you mean. Today I spoke to a man and he told me to speak slow since he has been living here for 4 months and is from Germany. This guy spoke perfect English and had no problems communicating in English. If only others did the same.

It's good that SOME immigrants still respect us!!!!!!!!

I just emailed both Rubio and Nelson in support of the bill, and I mentioned that I am half Hispanic just in case that would help. :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast