Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Migrant student is winner of contest, Washington trip

www.azcentral.com

Yvonne Wingett
    The Arizona Republic
    May. 27, 2005 12:00 AM

Miguel Angel Mendez came to the United States seven years ago, the son of a migrant family. He had dreams of making his parents proud, learning English and going to college.

Now he's on his way to reaching those dreams, and maybe even reaching higher.

Mendez, the soon-to-be high school freshman, beat out dozens of middle and high school students to win a state-sponsored autobiography contest, writing about his experiences as a migrant student, and was awarded a trip to the nation's capital.

Mendez and a small group of students on Sunday traveled to Washington, D.C. They learned about U.S. history, politics and the benefits of community service.

"(My parents) were proud because no one of us have gone before (to Washington, D.C), only heard about it," Mendez said a few days before the trip. "I want to learn about the history of this country, the people who've done stuff to make history happen."

Mendez was selected to represent the Arizona Migrant Education Program. He is enrolled in the federally funded program, which helps families with school supplies and tutoring and some health care, through the Peoria Unified School District. Officials in the Arizona Department of Education judged the autobiographical essay contests.

The Close Up Program for New Americans, through the Close Up Foundation, sponsored the trip to the nation's capitol. It is a non-profit group that seeks to inspire immigrant children to become active in the United States.

"It's a great experience," said Teresa Campa, records clerk and community liaison for the migrant program. "They get to meet some of the senators, and it's just a very, very good experience for them. It's a learning experience."

Mendez graduated recently from the eighth grade at Cotton Boll Elementary School in Peoria. He will attend Raymond Kellis High School in the fall. He has had to overcome challenges at school and the belief by some "people who don't think I can do the same things they can because of where I come from," Mendez said.

Good grades, extracurricular activities and the two-page story of his challenges and dreams helped Mendez rise to the top.

The following is a portion of his autobiography:

"To me, being a migrant student is something really special and I love being Mexican. A person I really admire and thank is Cesar Chavez. The reason I admire this great person is that he was the one that helped us Mexicans fight for our rights and our freedoms. Our lifestyle is a little harder than other famil(ies). We don't have much, but what we have I really appreciate. My goals for the future are to go to high school and receive a scholarship. I hope to go to college and become the first in my family to graduate. I just want to have a good career and become something better and have a great life."

Reach the reporter at (602) 444-4712 or yvonne.wingett@arizonarepublic.com.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

A person I really admire and thank is Cesar Chavez. The reason I admire this great person is that he was the one that helped us Mexicans fight for our rights and our freedoms.

Too bad you people didn't fight for your rights in your own sorry country.
    When we gonna wake up?

migrant winner of contest

Is this student supposed to be representing the future of our country?!

quote: following is a portion of his autobiography:

"To me, being a migrant student is something really special and I love being Mexican. A person I really admire and thank is Cesar Chavez. The reason I admire this great person is that he was the one that helped us Mexicans fight for our rights and our freedoms. Our lifestyle is a little harder than other famil(ies). We don't have much, but what we have I really appreciate.

What the heck kind of contest was it? Who foot the bill for his trip? How stupid of me to even ask!!
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn