Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

Migrant workers get help with `survival ` english

Migrant workers get help with 'survival' English
    6/29/2008 11:42 PM 0 comment(s) on this story E-mail this story to a friend

By ROB NOVIT
    Senior writer
    For several years, Jaime Munoz and Armando Munoz have traveled to various parts of the United States from Hidalgo, Mexico, for seasonal work.
    The two men, who are not related, are among a large contingent of migrant workers at mostly peach farms in the Ridge Spring/Monetta area.
    They are away from their families in the town of Zacualtipan for as much as nine months a year, and that's really hard for them.
    "But they pay more here than in Mexico," said Armando Munoz through an interpreter. "There, it is not enough money for the children's education."
    Not surprisingly, most of the seasonal workers face language barriers in trying to communicate at grocery stores and restaurants and with medical personnel. Thanks to a new initiative through the Aiken County School District, about 40 men and women are getting assistance with basic "survival" English this summer.
    About 15 Hispanic workers arrived at Ridge Spring-Monetta High School on Sunday for English instruction from three teachers and two teaching assistants. On Monday through Thursday, the teachers will visit one of the four migrant camps operated by the farms - the attendance varying based on work schedules.
    "It's my first time learning English at any school," Jaime Munoz said, as translated by teacher Marty Foss.
    For nearly 40 years, the Aiken County School District provided a summer school program for children of migrant workers.
    "It was the first program in the state and among the first in the country," said King Laurence, the district's federal funds coordinator. "But recently, the families are not bringing their kids with them, which is a statewide trend. It's simply easier, and they just prefer to leave the children at home and send money there."
    The State Department of Education formally provides funding for those workers 18-21. However, the school district also is serving older adults who want to learn English, said Mary McGuire, the Title III/English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) coordinator in Laurence's office.
    The planning began in late 2007, "and we didn't know what the response would be," McGuire said. "I was in adult education for a long time and felt they would be interested in something like this. Still, I've been very surprised and pleased with the response. We've got about 35 to 40 people in the program."
    McGuire and Laurence praised the interest and enthusiasm of teacher Gwen Byrd -- who, in turn, said the program couldn't function without Foss, the only Spanish-speaking instructor among the group. Byrd and Foss admitted to initial concerns about visiting the camps - concerns that proved unwarranted.
    The workers "have been so gracious. Some of the guys brought us peaches," Byrd said. "They really want to learn English, to say the things we take for granted every day. They could be resting, but they'll even postpone dinner to come to our sessions."
    The men and women are a delight to work with, Foss said. She admires their work ethic and concern about their families.
    "This has opened my eyes to agriculture in South Carolina," Foss said, "to the importance of labor that the migrant workers provide us."
    In Zacualtipan, the workers would make about $70 for a 40-hour week. In Aiken County and surrounding areas, they're making $300 and sometimes more per week. They send at least $200 home, reluctantly keeping the rest for essential needs and for phone cards or cell phones to keep in touch with their families.
    "Two of my children are in preschool, and I really want to be with them to help out at home," said Jaime Munoz. "But I have no choice but to be here. In Mexico I have to pay for the school, and, if I stayed there, I would have to take my children out of the school."
    Contact Rob Novit at rnovit@aikenstandard.com.

http://www.aikenstandard.com/0630-migrant-school
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

In Mexico I have to pay for the school,

And here we would get to pay for your kids. At least this guy leaves them home!
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Why the hell is the school district using taxpayer funds to teach ADULTS (who are most probably in the country illegally) ENGLISH? This is absurd. These classes shouldn't be for free and shouldn't be given to anyone who is not legally present.

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieMay
    In Mexico I have to pay for the school,

And here we would get to pay for your kids. At least this guy leaves them home!
    Yea, they may leave their kids in mexico, but they have no problems creating new families while here, complete with several anchor babies that we get to pay for...
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)