Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member controlledImmigration's Avatar

Migrants consider leaving after AZ's new employer law

Sunday, September 16, 2007
    Migrants consider leaving after Arizona passes new employer sanctions law
    AMANDA LEE MYERS - The Associated Press

PHOENIX -- A tough new employer sanctions law in Arizona has many illegal immigrants contemplating something they once thought was unthinkable -- returning to their home countries to fewer jobs, less money and limited opportunities for their children.

The law goes into effect in January and requires employers to verify the eligibility of workers through a federal database. They would face having their business licenses revoked after a second offense.

Since it was signed into law in July, illegal immigrants have been wondering how they will be affected. They're asking Mexican Consulates to explain the law, calling Spanish-language radio stations for advice and keeping an eye on community newspapers.

Those who are considering going home say they're waiting until January to see whether their bosses will start asking them for papers.

"If I lose my job, we'll go back to Mexico," said 30-year-old Elias Velasquez, an illegal immigrant who came to Arizona from Puebla with his wife a year ago.

Velasquez, who works at a Phoenix grocery store, said he hasn't yet been asked to prove that he's in the country legally. He said he wants to stay in Arizona to better support his wife, a 4-year-old son, and a daughter on the way who, if she is born here, would be a U.S. citizen.

"I came here to get a job, to work," he said. "I'm afraid to go back. There's no money in Mexico."

Alfredo Gutierrez, a vocal leader in the Hispanic community who also hosts a radio program in Spanish about immigration issues, said the seeds of panic have been sown among illegal immigrants.

"There's a lot of fear that they have to prepare for the worst," he said. "The concern is extreme. I don't have any doubts that for people who are thinking about leaving, this may be the last straw."

Gutierrez referred to a recent spate of anti-illegal immigrant legislation in the state and an overall hostile atmosphere in Arizona. The state is the busiest illegal entry point along the U.S.-Mexico border and the Pew Hispanic Center has estimated that illegal immigrants account for one in 10 workers in Arizona.

Activists plugged into the immigrant community say they haven't yet heard of anyone leaving Arizona because of the employer sanctions law, but that it's certainly possible. And as January nears, they say it becomes more likely.

State Rep. Russell Pearce, who authored the employer sanctions law, said it was designed to force illegal immigrants to "self-deport."

"Just like Disney -- turn off the lights, shut down the rides and the crowd goes home. No more free stuff," he said.

"We have the inherent authority to enforce the law," he said. "And Arizona is leading the way to do that. We intend to go after employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants. I hope rest of nation follows our lead."

Arizona isn't the only place in the country where illegal immigrants are scared about crackdowns. In Panama City Beach, Fla., some illegal immigrants have been leaving since sheriff's deputies there started pulling up to construction sites in force to see who would run.

The sheriff's department says it has conducted dozens of such raids and reported more than 500 people to immigration officials since November.

Other places have sought to crack down on illegal immigrants by passing strict legislation. In Hazleton, Penn., officials created the Illegal Immigration Relief Act, which sought to impose fines on landlords who rent to illegal immigrants and deny business permits to companies that give them jobs. A federal judge struck down the law, but the city is appealing his decision.

Back in Arizona, Angelina Medina, a 25-year-old mother of two who cleans houses for a living, said she and her husband started talking about leaving when they first heard about the employer sanctions law a couple of months ago.

Medina and her husband are in the country illegally, but their 6- and 4-year-old children were born here. "I'm afraid for my children," Medina said. "I don't want to go home."

Shela Chavez, an illegal immigrant who came to Arizona with her husband from Guatemala nine years ago, said they're seriously considering going back.

"It's unfair," she said. "We do all the hard work in this country."

Chavez said she worries for her 5- and 1-year-old daughters, who are U.S. citizens. If the Chavez family moves to Guatemala, the girls will have to grow up in a much poorer country with few jobs and low wages.

"For them, this is their country," Chavez said. "I want to stay so my girls can study, go to college and then work. I want them to have a better life than I did."

On the Net:Arizona Legislature: www.azleg.gov

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/237661/4/

Re: Migrants consider leaving after AZ's new employer law

Activists plugged into the immigrant community say they haven't yet heard of anyone leaving Arizona because of the employer sanctions law, but that it's certainly possible. And as January nears, they say it becomes more likely.

I wouldn't listen to this. It's either the latest in propoganda in order to make it appear that all of our efforts are failing miserably, or they aren't plugged in like they think are. I believe it's the former.

I manage an 80 home manufactured housing development. Currently, there are 14 homes For Sale, the owners of which have already either gone back to Mexico, or are making final preparations to do so. I also have another 5 Intent to Vacate notices on my desk,and know of at least 8 people who have lost their jobs and cannot find new employment. My eviction rate for non-payment is the highest it's ever been.

Does this sound like no one is leaving, planning to leave, or that enforcement isn't going to work? Not to me it doesn't, and it sure doesn't seem like it to my employer who is taking one hell of a hit in his wallet these days because he owns several properties and they're all being impacted.

I even have a tenant who doesn't believe the pro-illegal crowd anymore, and he's an illegal himself....albeit only temporarily until a problem with his visa is squared away. His opinion is that they are giving illegals false hope because without them, these people are nobody, so they don't want the illegals to leave. Along that same line of thinking, he also believes that the rash of boycotts lately, is not just a protest, but to cover up for things like far less Latinos crowding stores, and buying things....not because they are boycotting, but because they are losing jobs and/or returning to Mexico.

Quite frankly, I'll listen to the talk in the neighborhood and go by what I see happening before I'll ever, ever, believe anything the pro-illegal advocates have to say.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I manage an 80 home manufactured housing development. Currently, there are 14 homes For Sale, the owners of which have already either gone back to Mexico, or are making final preparations to do so. I also have another 5 Intent to Vacate notices on my desk,and know of at least 8 people who have lost their jobs and cannot find new employment. My eviction rate for non-payment is the highest it's ever been.
    I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote Originally Posted by Nouveauxpoor
    I love it when a plan comes together.[/quote

Yep....and it's coming together alright So much for the cock and bull contentions that laws.....and the actual enforcement of those laws.....won't work
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)