Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Migrants pin hopes on speech

http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/14569243.htm

Posted on Sat, May. 13, 2006

Migrants pin hopes on speech

LAURA FIGUEROA
    Herald Staff Writer

MANATEE - Migdalina Zuniga will spend yet another Mother's Day in Mexico without her son.

For her son, Ismael Zuniga, 27, not seeing his family is a reality he has had to contend with for the past 12 years, ever since he left his native Michoacan, Mexico, for Palmetto in hopes for a better life.

Monday night Ismael Zuniga's eyes and ears will be fixed on his television screen. He said he plans on watching President Bush's address on immigration reform at 8 p.m., hoping the president will offer insight into the status of the 12 million undocumented immigrants working in the United States.

After organizing rallies and boycotts in support of immigration reform on April 10 and May 1, area immigrants and immigration reform advocates will be paying close attention to see if their efforts will resound not only in the president's speech, but in decisions made by the U.S. Senate as it restarts debate on a new immigration bill.

"I think the pressure is on," said Jim Delgado, with the Mexican Council of Florida, a coalition of Latino-owned businesses that organized the events on April 10 and May 1. "I think everybody on all sides understands that. We're pretty much at wait and see. Personally, I'm going to try to be as positive as I can."

Bush is expected to speak on establishing a guest-worker program to include in the immigration reform bill. But for Zuniga, who has been trying for 11 years to earn his residency, he questions how a guest worker policy or amnesty program for those living in the country could work.

"If I've been trying for 11 years to do it the right way and get my residency papers in order, and I'm still waiting for approval, then what are guys who have only been here two or three years going to have to face?" Zuniga said.

With the president's approval ratings at the lowest levels of his presidency, immigrants like Zuniga are wary of the political clout Bush can muster on the issue.

"What good will it do if the president feels one way, but Congress feels another way?" Zuniga said. "Yes, he is the president and he has a powerful voice, but he is just one voice out of the many out there opposing."

Others remain optimistic that Bush's speech will bridge the divide on the issue of immigration.

"I hope he will remain consistent with his message of having a guest worker program," said Luz Corcuera, chairwoman of the Latino Community Network of Manatee County. "Still, I am a little anxious. I'm afraid that with emotions so high on this subject, emotional reactions will override the real message of trying to reach a suitable immigration bill."

Sitting outside of his Palmetto duplex, Alejandro Calel, 24, a native of Guatemala, was surrounded by piles of coiled wire. He stripped the wires of their white and black plastic linings, unveiling strands of copper. Selling the copper strands could amount to $2 a pound, explained Calel.

He entered the United States at the age of 18. After his father died, he became the "man of the household" and had to find a means to support his mom Juana and 10 siblings.

"What I make here in one week, I could not make in Guatemala in one month," Calel said. In Guatemala he was a carpenter, now he picks tomatoes.

Calel also left behind his 8-month-old daughter Estella. She is now 7 years old, and has never seen her father, only talked to him on the phone.

"Yes, I've been paying attention to what's going on," Calel said as he pierced through a white plastic cord with a blade. "It gives me hope that one day I can get my driver's license. It would mean that I could finally go back to see my daughter and not worry that I couldn't work here."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Oh, I am about to cry.

It amazes me that these poor people with such Great SOB stories dont put as much effort into Fixing thier OWN countries problems as they protest and demand from Ours.. Just think what Vincinti Fox would do if one day he woke up and found 11 to 20 million of his people protesting and calling for the complete and total re-establishment of thier countries Government. I know what he would do he would seek Political assilum in Our country.
    Your Rights END where MY Rights Begin. You have NO Rights if You Are ILLEGAL.

V. Fox

BldHnd,

PERFECT! Maybe we could get our press to start bringing that idea up! Personal responsibility of each country for it's OWN citizens! What a concept!

Sure..............
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!