Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Migrants Sheltered in NYC’s Field Camp are Leaving the Tents to Knock on Doors, Beggi

Migrants Sheltered in NYC’s Field Camp are Leaving the Tents to Knock on Doors, Begging for Food and Money

Story by Fatma Khaled • 14m

December 23, 2023

Migrants Sheltered in NYC’s Field Camp are Leaving the Tents to Knock on Doors, Begging for Food and Money

One resident said there is 'a lot of nervousness' in the Brooklyn neighborhood because of the asylum seekers showing up at people's houses

Published |Updated

Fatma Khaled

Floyd Bennett Field, a former air base, was selected as a temporary site to house migrants in New York City earlier this year Gmerrill/Wikimedia Commons© Gmerrill/Wikimedia Commons

Migrants sheltered at the Floyd Bennett Field in New York City started going door to door in the neighborhood begging for food, money, and clothes, according to a report.

Some residents told The New York Post on Friday that a number of asylum seekers are showing up at their doorsteps in Brooklyn’s Marine Park neighborhood in recent weeks, asking for assistance.

“There’s definitely an invasion of immigrants from Floyd Bennett Field in our neighborhood and I see them sitting outside stores … outside the mall and going around to all the houses in the neighborhood, knocking on the door looking for money,” David Fitzgerald, 62, told the Post.

New York City has been struggling with housing a large number of migrants coming from the southern border over the past months. Nearly 100,000 asylum seekers have arrived in the city seeking shelter since 2022.

To deal with the influx of asylum seekers, the city considered housing options at college campuses, tent shelters, and hotels.

The city decided to use the now defunct Floyd Bennett Field as another housing solution and started reconstructing the former military base to shelter 500 migrant families with children. But, some New York lawmakers pushed back against the plan, arguing that it is not the right location for a migrant shelter.

Fitzgerald told the Post on Friday that there is “a lot of nervousness” in the Brooklyn neighborhood because of the asylum seekers showing up at neighbor’s houses asking for help after coming from the city-run shelter site.

“I certainly sympathize with their situation, but to have people knocking at your door looking for food that don’t speak English, it’s annoying. I don’t like it. We have never had this before, ever,” he said.

Meanwhile, Paul Sanzone, 56, who lived in the neighborhood for 30 years, said they knock on his front door on a “regular basis.”

“I am all for charity, 100%. I’ll give you the shirt off my back, the money in my pocket, but not this way. It has got to stop,” said Sanzone, adding that he and his wife had been “on edge” since two people, who came asking for food and money, were wearing ankle monitors.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mi...0b5aa3e7&ei=14
    Last edited by Beezer; 12-23-2023 at 01:23 PM.
    ILLEGAL ALIENS HAVE "BROKEN" OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM

DO NOT REWARD THEM - DEPORT THEM ALL

Direct these freeloading FOREIGN CITIZENS to their Embassy or Consulate in New York for their free stuff.

Consulate General of Mexico in New York

27 E 39th St, New York, NY 10016

(212) 217-6400

Give them nothing and report them to the police.

ILLEGAL ALIENS HAVE "BROKEN" OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM

DO NOT REWARD THEM - DEPORT THEM ALL