Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Published January 22 2011
    Minnesota illegal worker firings illustrate immigration reform tactical shift
    Instead of raiding businesses and hauling away illegal workers, federal agents now study their paperwork. If the "I-9s" aren't in order, agents demand that employers keep only those employees who can prove they belong in this country. The change in strategy has resulted in a spike in actions against employers across the country, according to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
    By: James Walsh, Star Tribune (Minneapolis) / MCT

MINNEAPOLIS

The firing of hundreds of Chipotle restaurant workers in Minnesota offered a dramatic glimpse into new trends in immigration reform.

Instead of raiding businesses and hauling away illegal workers, federal agents now study their paperwork. If the "I-9s" aren't in order, agents demand that employers keep only those employees who can prove they belong in this country. The change in strategy has resulted in a spike in actions against employers across the country, according to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

In fiscal year 2010, the agency criminally charged a record-breaking 180 owners, employers, managers or supervisors, up from 135 in 2008 and 114 in 2009. ICE also conducted more than 2,200 I-9 audits, compared to more than 1,400 in 2009.

Those actions have led to nearly $7 million in fines to companies in 2010, compared to $1 million the year before.

Federal officials say the new approach is less heavy-handed and puts more emphasis on employers ensuring that they have a legal workforce. But it's still an approach that is heavy on enforcement, and employers and fired workers alike complain that they're paying the price for a strategy that they say doesn't address real reform.

The workers are not arrested or deported. Most are simply fired. That, workers' advocates contend, does little to solve the problem of illegal immigration because workers often just move on to the next job, and the cycle repeats itself.

"We want to end illegal immigration. The question is how do you do it? Does this do it? Absolutely not," said Javier Morillo, president of Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Local 26, which has protested on behalf of the fired workers.

Attorney DeAnne Hilgers, who works with employers to get their paperwork in order, said advocacy groups and business leaders recognize the need for real reform. "Both recognize that what we have is not working," she said.

ICE cracking down

In 2009, ICE changed its strategy from rounding up illegal workers in workplace raids to a quieter approach of auditing I-9 forms against Social Security and immigration records.

Employers are now required to ask for, review and keep paperwork -- I-9 forms -- on file for every worker that shows they are eligible to work in the United States.

"An effective, comprehensive worksite enforcement strategy must address employers who knowingly hire illegal workers in order reduce the demand for illegal employment and protect employment opportunities for the nation's lawful workforce," said ICE spokesman Shawn Neudauer.

Employers can avoid trouble, Neudauer said, by participating in programs such as ICE's IMAGE program or E-Verify by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, which allow employers to quickly check their employees' records against federal records online.

Morillo questions how much pain employers really feel. Chipotle quickly replaced the estimated 700 Minnesota workers it fired in December without missing a beat, he said.

"It's only the employees who are paying the price," he said.

Maria, who would not give her full name or say if she is here illegally, said she worked at the Lake Calhoun Chipotle for six years before she was fired without explanation on Dec. 13.

She and 13 co-workers at the one store were fired, she said, despite the fact they'd helped it win awards for customer service. They even worked overtime to train their replacements, although they didn't know it then. "Why did they let us work for so many years without it being a problem?" she said. "Now, suddenly, it's a problem."

Hilgers said that employers are paying a price in time and money and personnel needed to make sure documentation is in order. For companies in agriculture, food service and hospitality industries, where ICE has focused much of its attention, it is especially important. Mistakes can lead to fines and, worse, criminal penalties.

"This personally hurts people on both sides," she said.

Untenable system

John Keller of the Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota agreed, saying "ghost" costs for employers -- hiring lawyers and adding to human resources departments -- is jacking up the cost of doing business. At least it is for companies that follow the law.

Other employers, just like many displaced illegal workers, go underground, paying workers in cash and avoiding taxes. Even people on opposite ends of the political spectrum agree that something has to change, Keller said.

"We can agree, and I think this is an important thing for the people of this state to understand: The status quo is doing no one any favors," he said.

Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.
    http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/a ... id/191023/
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

According to the Patriot Act, illegals are not allowed to have bank accounts, let alone safety deposit boxes...all their "credit cards" are actually pre-paid debit cards, that Mastercard and Visa make a fortune on in transaction fees. These companies are in violation of the RICO satatute (sp) criminal racketeering...look it up

Welcome to ALIPAC stevietwiz, good points.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

One of the protest organizers, Greg Nammacher, secretary-treasurer of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), Local 26 in St. Paul, said the purpose of the demonstration was "to send a message to corporations that they can't sell Mexican culture and Mexican food and sell out Mexican workers."

That is the dumbest statement ever. What the hell does Mexican culture and Mexican food have to do with whether the worker is legal or not? Frankly, I would rather Mexican culture and Mexican food go away! I'm sick to death of it.

1,200 employees at its 50 Minnesota restaurants
    That's 24 illegals per restaurant!!!

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by stevietwiz
    According to the Patriot Act, illegals are not allowed to have bank accounts, let alone safety deposit boxes...all their "credit cards" are actually pre-paid debit cards, that Mastercard and Visa make a fortune on in transaction fees. These companies are in violation of the RICO satatute (sp) criminal racketeering...look it up
    Welcome to ALIPAC and thanks for the info
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Banned
    They not only need to be fired ...they need to be along with their families be deported. Followup needs to be done and see just how many were actually deported. With luck it will be all of them but thats almost too much to ask for.

1,200 employment vacancies for American citizens! Good work...
    When you aid and support criminals, you live a criminal life style yourself:

Banned
    Ok
    Here is what really happens

Juan gets fired from Chipo# 6

He then gets new papers and becomes Pedro and gets hired at Chipo # 10

How long before ICE runs the records again? 5 years .... If ever

Meanwhile if this business was raided and the illegals arrested and deported , it would be a whole new ball of wax

This idiotic ICE program does nothing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12