Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Minuteman Project gathers strength

Link to article

Minuteman Project gathers strength
    By: EDWARD SIFUENTES - Staff Writer

TOMBSTONE, Ariz. ---- While hundreds of supporters of a controversial border-watch effort gathered Thursday in the historic western town of Tombstone, Ariz., a handful of human-rights activists gathered across the border in Agua Prieta, Mexico, to counter the border-watch group, which calls itself the Minuteman Project.

In Tombstone, more than a hundred volunteers waited on the first day of the monthlong project, which was spearheaded by Californians who said they wanted to shine light on problems with border security. The group's mission, they said, is to observe and report illegal immigrants coming across a 20-mile stretch of the border near the town of Naco, Ariz.

Organizers of the Minuteman Project said they had registered more than 600 volunteers by Friday morning.

Nearly an equal number of reporters were covering the border watch for national and international news organizations.

A number of participants in the border watch and its opposition efforts are from North County and Southwest Riverside County.

Famous for its 1881 gunfight at the OK Corral, Tombstone took on a surreal atmosphere with dozens of colorful volunteers carrying flags, some of them carrying handguns ---- which are legal in the state ---- while actors dressed as cowboys walked the streets of the town.

Minuteman Project volunteers are expected to take their observing posts after training and orientation, organizers said. Human-rights advocates said they plan protests and other activities opposing the border-watch group throughout the month beginning Friday with a rally and vigil.

Jim Gilchrist, a retired Orange County accountant who organized the Minuteman Project, said the number of volunteers who had arrived to participate proved to him that there is widespread support of his effort.

"It's a common thread," he said inside a building where volunteers were being registered 10 people at a time. "They want this issue addressed."

Gilchrist said he wants the federal government to increase resources and boost the number of agents patrolling the border with Mexico.

Immigration authorities said this week that more than 500 additional agents are being sent to Arizona to help stem the flow of illegal immigrants into the country.

Arizona has become the main route for illegal immigrants coming into the country, after the government increased resources at the border and fences were built up along the California-Mexico border in the mid-1990s.

In Agua Prieta, members of the National Alliance for Human Rights, a loose-knit group organized by UC Riverside professor Armando Navarro, held a press conference to announce a rally Saturday to denounce the Minuteman Project.

About 10 people from various immigrant- and human-rights groups, several from San Diego and Riverside counties, attended the press conference to announce their efforts, which include a vigil and legal observers to monitor the Minuteman volunteers for any offenses against the rights of migrants.

"There are legal means to accomplish what they want," said Hector Muro, a Fallbrook Latino-rights activist who traveled to Arizona to oppose the Minuteman Project. "Hunting down the most vulnerable is not the way to go about it."

In the dusty border town near Douglas, Ariz., hundreds of Mexican workers gather to stage their attempts to cross the border illegally each day. But local residents said that the problem is not as widespread as it was four years ago, when the U.S. Border Patrol began to crack down on illegal immigrant traffic through the area.

Commissioner Robert C. Bonner, who heads the U.S. Customs and Border Protection, said this week that the agency was sending 534 additional agents and 23 additional aircraft to the Arizona section of the border.

Two hundred of those additional agents have already been deployed, and the rest will be deployed this year.

Local residents said there was a noticeably higher number of Border Patrol vehicles patrolling.

"It's the most I've ever seen," said Bill Davis, 66, a Minuteman volunteer who has lived in the area for 13 years. "You can hardly go a mile without seeing one of them."

Supporters of the Minuteman Project called Bonner's announcement a victory, while human-rights groups said the federal government was bowing to groups they consider vigilantes.

Human-rights activists said they were concerned that many of the participants in the Minuteman Project were civilians, untrained in law enforcement tactics, who could react improperly with their guns.

Many volunteers defended carrying their weapons, saying that it was their right and that their guns were for self-defense only. Most said they had chosen not to carry weapons because their plan was to report immigrants, not confront them.

"I haven't carried a weapon since I learned I could kill a man with my bare hands," Davis said with a grin. "I don't need a gun."
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan

CNN is doing stories on the MMP with interviews in Tomestone. For a change the CNN stories seem to be leaning more toward MMP. Hope it continues to stay in the same light.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: Minuteman Project gathers strength

By: EDWARD SIFUENTES - Staff Writer

Tombstone, Ariz., a handful of human-rights activists gathered across the border in Agua Prieta, Mexico, to counter the border-watch group, which calls itself the Minuteman Project.
    If they cross the border, arrest them.

Organizers of the Minuteman Project said they had registered more than 600 volunteers by Friday morning.
    Great!!!!

Nearly an equal number of reporters were covering the border watch for national and international news organizations.
    Even better!!!

"It's a common thread," he said inside a building where volunteers were being registered 10 people at a time. "They want this issue addressed."
    I think they are starting to listen.

About 10 people from various immigrant- and human-rights groups, several from San Diego and Riverside counties, attended the press conference to announce their efforts, which include a vigil and legal observers to monitor the Minuteman volunteers for any offenses against the rights of migrants.
    Real big crowd, huh? They sure have a lot of support.

"There are legal means to accomplish what they want," said Hector Muro, a Fallbrook Latino-rights activist who traveled to Arizona to oppose the Minuteman Project. "Hunting down the most vulnerable is not the way to go about it."
    Legal means? Precisely what is illegal about patrolling OUR border?
    If you are not a citizen of the US or have the proper authorization to
    be in the US, stay out!!!! Mr. Muro, why don't you THINK before
    running your mouth off?

But local residents said that the problem is not as widespread as it was four years ago, when the U.S. Border Patrol began to crack down on illegal immigrant traffic through the area.
    Pardon me, but I can't say that I am relieved by this revelation.

Supporters of the Minuteman Project called Bonner's announcement a victory, while human-rights groups said the federal government was bowing to groups they consider vigilantes.
    How many times do we have to say that they are "undocumented
    border control agents?" They just want our laws enforced.

Human-rights activists said they were concerned that many of the participants in the Minuteman Project were civilians, untrained in law enforcement tactics, who could react improperly with their guns.
    Maybe you should be more concerned about the illegals sneaking over
    the border.
    http://www.alipac.us Enforce immigration laws!

On Yahoo News MMP

Volunteers to Patrol Arizona-Mexico Border

Sat Apr 2,12:41 AM ET U.S. National - AP

By JACQUES BILLEAUD, Associated Press Writer

TOMBSTONE, Ariz. - About 450 volunteers gathered Friday for a monthlong effort to patrol the Mexican border for illegal immigrants and smugglers, an organizer of the project said.

The idea, according to organizers of the Minuteman Project, is for the volunteers to fan out across 23 miles of the San Pedro Valley to watch the border and report any illegal activity to federal agents â€â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"We want (migrants) to know we'll be on alert to make sure their human rights are not violated," said Arturo Salinas, Mexico's assistant interior secretary.�

How do these people think they have any rights? People that come here illegally have to rights, including violating our laws in the manner of getting here. Arturo Salinas needs a wake up call, how can this person advocate that these people coming here have any rights? I just don’t get what they are trying to say, and how they can such stupid stuff. I don’t get it, and iam rather frustrated every time I see something this stupid made by an official of Mexico. Iam going ballistic, I’ve been writing every congressman and senate that I can.

Acidrain