Judge orders 10-year term in bar fight death
By Heather Ratcliffe
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
03/29/2008

St. Louis — A violent encounter outside a bar ended the dream for two fathers who immigrated to the United States years ago in hopes to build a better life.

While one died a violent death the night of July 2, 2006, the other's plans crumbled Friday as a St. Louis Circuit Court judge sentenced him to 10 years in prison.

Bekir Ademovic, 31, was convicted of voluntary manslaughter in the death of a Sejfudin Suljic, 42, who was found dead in a alley next to the Kemix Bar, at 4701 Morganford Road.

Defense attorney Ted Luby argued Friday that Ademovic's violent response during a bar fight was instinctive for a man who spent years steeped in a war in Bosnia and held in a prison camp. Advertisement

"In spite of the struggles he had in his life, he has lived an honest life," Luby said of his client. "No one disputes that this is an awful tragedy. He's already told the jury that he regrets what happened that night."

Investigators said the two men quarreled in the Kemix bar, where Suljic worked. The victim chased Ademovic outside with a stun gun, and a fistfight ensued.

During the trial, witnesses testified that blood covered Ademovic's knuckles when he went to another bar to talk to a friend after the beating. Suljic suffered fractures to his facial bones, a damaged eye and displaced teeth. Prosecutors said they found evidence that Suljic also may have been choked.

Ademovic, of the 4400 block of Morganford, who is married with two young sons, testified that the beating was self-defense.

Before the sentencing, Suljic's two daughters, wife and sister each told the judge how his death has impacted their lives.

"It's really hard," his wife, Hasnija Suljic, said through an interpreter. "I don't know what to do with my life. There is no one to help me."

Judge Robert H. Dierker paused with emotion as he considered the story of the two men. He said Ademovic's life struggles don't outweigh the need for justice.

"You and the victim came to this country for many of the same reasons that my ancestors came here," Dierker said. "That flag behind me stands for something — freedom — but also the rule of law."

hratcliffe@post-dispatch.com | 314-621-5804

Link