Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

MO: Mennonites to leave state over photo IDs

http://www.columbiatribune.com/2007/...301News001.asp

Mennonites to leave state over photo IDs

By SARA AGNEW of the Tribune’s staff
    Published Thursday, March 1, 2007

RANDOLPH COUNTY - When Frank Christner and others from his Mennonite community near Sedalia moved their families here seven years ago, they planned to lay down roots and raise up their children.

Don Shrubshell photos
    Matt Thornburg is outraged that the state’s photo ID law for driver’s licenses is prompting his Mennonite neighbors in Randolph County to move to Arkansas. Sect members believe the Bible forbids them from posing for photographs.

They built homes, a church and a school. Leo Kempf opened a meat processing plant; Christner started an excavating business; and his brother, Doug, set up a cabinetmaking shop. The Mennonites created a community along this rural stretch of roadway eight miles southwest of Huntsville. This was to be the promised land.

Plans have changed. A new state law that would force them to have their pictures taken to get a driver’s license has led them to sell their homes. Mennonites believe the Bible forbids them from posing for photographs, so they’re moving to Arkansas.

Christner, 46, and his neighbors say if they adhere to the principles of their religion, they have no choice. Fifteen families have decided to pull up stakes and move to Arkansas, where state law offers Mennonites an exemption from having a photograph on their driver’s license. He said Missouri’s six other Mennonite communities are considering a similar move.

"We aren’t down on the government," said 40-year-old Kempf, who is raising seven children with his wife, Pam. "We believe the government is ordained by God, and we believe we should follow what they say as long as it is not against the word of God. God comes first."

Matt Thornburg is outraged that his neighbors are being forced to leave. He and wife, Diane, have lived in the area for two years and don’t understand why the government won’t make an exception.

"These people aren’t a security risk. They are more than willing to document themselves. They pay their taxes, " Matt Thornburg said. "I want people to know there is an injustice going on here. We don’t want these folks moving out. My gosh, they’re good citizens!"

Maura Browning of the Missouri Department of Revenue said the Missouri General Assembly passed a law in 2004 that tightened security standards for issuing driver’s licenses. Before the change, a religious exemption allowed Mennonites not to have a picture taken to receive a driver’s license. Now, they have the option of not having a photograph on their personal license, but a picture must be on file with the state.

"We don’t have the ability or authority to change state law," Browning said.

State Rep. Gary Dusenberg, chairman of a special committee on homeland security, said Missouri changed its requirements to comply with upcoming federal legislation. The Republican from Blue Springs believes the federal Real ID Act, scheduled to take effect in 2008, will force every state to require pictures be on file when issuing driver’s licenses.

"This has to do with stopping terrorism," Dusenberg said. "It’s unfortunate that these folks are leaving the state. I know the Mennonites are good citizens. It is one of those unfortunate things."

Russ Knocke, a spokesman for the Department of Homeland Security’s Office of Public Affairs in Washington, D.C., said the Real ID Act is expected to "make uniform the security standards states use for issuing driver’s licenses." He declined to say whether requiring a picture would be part of the proposed standards.

"Eighteen of the 19 hijackers during 9/11 used fake IDs," Knocke said. "The two individuals who flew the plane into the Pentagon bought Virginia driver’s licenses from an illegal alien in the parking lot of a 7-Eleven" convenience store. "Clearly, there is a vulnerability that needs to be addressed."

For now, however, Frank Christner and his fellow Mennonites have to make a living. For him, that means being free to drive and follow his religious convictions.

Christner realizes Arkansas might eventually impose the same restriction as Missouri, but it’s a risk he is willing to take. Arkansas now issues six-year licenses with religious exemptions. "It’s a lesser of two evils," Christner said. "We can either stay here and struggle or move to Arkansas and have at least six years to drive and work."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Reach Sara Agnew at 573-815-1723 or sjagnew@tribmail.com.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sect members believe the Bible forbids them from posing for photographs.
    But he posed for a picture in the paper? Did the Devil make him do that?

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Dixie, I was thinking the same thing.....maybe they sneaked up on him!

Where in the Bible do they get this?? I have never heard of such a thing. Since there were no cameras in biblical times, it must have something to do with "graven images", but that obviously is idolarty. Beats me! They surely are missing a lot by not having pictures of their children growing up, etc.

I found this:

For many Amish-Mennonites, photos are a symbol of self-admiration and pride, contrary to their beliefs and way of life. Taking a picture is tantamount to creating a graven image — a sin in their faith.
    Not all Mennonites believe this way, only certain enclaves. I would argue that, in this case, it has nothing to do with self-admiration, but rather obeying the law of the land.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie

Dixie
    That is funny, Dixie, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe it was a sneak attack by the photographer.

Arkansas now issues six-year licenses with religious exemptions. "It’s a lesser of two evils," Christner said. "We can either stay here and struggle or move to Arkansas and have at least six years to drive and work."

Don't you love the religious exemption? This man is moving to get a way from a camera, but will probably be neighbors with the terrorists!! They will also want the same exemption. Goodness gracious, life barely makes sense to me any more.

Your right Dixie.

This guy is full of balony!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Dixie
    He was sitting on the truck and the guy shot his photo. Doesn't mean he posed. I don't know what the answer is, but it's a real shame to lose Menonites and Amish folk from a community.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Hmm, now I'm confused. It doesn't actually say HE is a Mennonite but it IMPLIES that he is.

Quote Originally Posted by JadedBaztard
    I made the same mistake guys when I first read this. The guy in the photo is the neighbor. He's not a Mennonite. The Mennonites I have been around looked very similar to the Amish in appearance. The men all have beards and wore overalls with big hats on.
    It was funnier when we thought that he was the Mennonite. LOL! Now, we've got nothin'.

Quote Originally Posted by loservillelabor

Dixie
    He was sitting on the truck and the guy shot his photo. Doesn't mean he posed. I don't know what the answer is, but it's a real shame to lose Menonites and Amish folk from a community.
    I agree loserville.
    Deportacion? Si Se Puede!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gofer
    Dixie, I was thinking the same thing.....maybe they sneaked up on him!

Where in the Bible do they get this?? I have never heard of such a thing. Since there were no cameras in biblical times, it must have something to do with "graven images", but that obviously is idolarty. Beats me! They surely are missing a lot by not having pictures of their children growing up, etc.

I found this:

For many Amish-Mennonites, photos are a symbol of self-admiration and pride, contrary to their beliefs and way of life. Taking a picture is tantamount to creating a graven image — a sin in their faith.
    Not all Mennonites believe this way, only certain enclaves. I would argue that, in this case, it has nothing to do with self-admiration, but rather obeying the law of the land.
    Graven images are not just idols. Ancient Hebrew art was not allowed to make any depiction of a person or living thing unless specified by God (as in the depiction of the Cherubim on the Ark of the Covenant). The Muslims brought the concept into their religion as well, which is why Islamic art features geometric patterns rather than organic images. Reasonable people may differ on the meaning of the prohibition, but conscientiously held religious beliefs should be accommodated. That is the essence of the religious liberty guaranteed by Amendment I. As a matter of fact, while the Constitution SPECIFICALLY grants freedom of expression of religious beliefs, NOWHERE does it empower the federal government to impose an ID on Americans. If surrendering your own rights to the nanny state makes you feel better, go for it, but it is morally and legally wrong to use the power of the majority to force others to abandon their hard-won rights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast