Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

MO: New Legislation Could Prohibit Undocumented Students Fro

New Legislation Could Prohibit Undocumented Students From Higher Education
    Reported by: Carlos Correa
    04/14/2007 08:59pm

The dream of going to college could soon be unatainable for one growing group of people, that's if state leaders pass current legislation.

A Republican sponsored house bill would ban illegal aliens from attending public universities in Missouri.

Groups like the Hispanic American Leadership Organization or HALO out of Missouri State University are conducting workshops to help educate other students about the proposal.

It's a proposal causing debate on many campuses across Missouri.

House Bill 269, which was introduced earlier this year would prohibit undocumentated students from attending higher education.

MSU Student Nelson Vowels says, "I think that people are supporting House Bill 269 because, basically they are not informed. I personally, have been lobbying in Jefferson City and there is a lot of misinformation. There's a lot of misconception going around."

Vowels is among the many other students at Missouri State University interested in learning about the Bill and how it will affect some of their peers.

MSU Student Moris Montejo says, "I think its basically just ignorant. They really don't know where we are coming from, where similar Latino families come from, what the status is and they only have one stereotype of the whole Hispanic culture."

Student Orlando Hodges added, "to ignore that we are diverse inheritenly is wrong and to fully understand who we are, we have to understand who everyone else is and I think that's what people will need to realize and people need to understand."

The Bill is also proposing that each university register with state level authorities, verifying the status of all students.

Community advocate Jessica Ayala says, "I think that it will not only hurt Latinos, but any undocumentated student from any country, if anywhere, but what it will do is it will take them from their dreams."

Many people who oppose the Bill say it will hurt the area's economy if undocumentated students aren't able to graduate with a college degree.

MSU Student Erica West says, "the idea in general of being able to have education for everyone is something that we need to have in this country."

Sponsors of the Bill say its needed in Missouri to insure the state is spending taxpayer money for students who are here legally.

The Bill recently passed out of Senate committee and is now on the Senate floor.

Those who oppose the proposal say it has three weeks before it lands on the desk of Governor Matt Blunt.

This Bill would not affect private institutions.

Students who are undocumented cannot get federal aide because its federal money.

If they don't have papers or are in the process of obtaining citizenship they will not be able to get that aide.

So many of them will have to fundraise or get extra jobs to pay their tuition.

http://www.ozarksfirst.com/content/fulltext/?cid=6489
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Student Orlando Hodges added, "to ignore that we are diverse inheritenly is wrong and to fully understand who we are, we have to understand who everyone else is and I think that's what people will need to realize and people need to understand."
    I wonder what Orlando smokes?

It worries me how "liberal" so many of the students are in the colleges. I doubt if they understand the ramifications of importing millions upon millions of illegal aliens into America and the irreversible destruction that will cause to their American culture.
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>