Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

More undocumented immigrants are able to buy homes

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4093518.html

Aug. 4, 2006, 1:19AM

REAL ESTATE
    Renters no more
    More undocumented immigrants are able to buy homes

By OLIVIA BLANCO MULLINS
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Despite being in the U.S. illegally, undocumented immigrants can legally buy a house.

Certain lenders don't ask for immigration papers. And buyers using a special tax ID often don't need a lengthy credit history.

That has allowed many undocumented workers to realize the American Dream, experts said, while contributing to an upturn in the real estate market.

For Jorge and Maribel, a couple from Mexico who have lived illegally in Houston since 1996, an Individual Tax Identification Number, known as an ITIN, and a Texas driver's license were enough to secure their mortgage, allowing them to purchase a home in 2002.

"I was really surprised when I found out that it could be done," said Jorge, who bought his home through Gloria Castrejón's realty firm, La Palma.

Like Maribel, Jorge asked to be identified by only his first name.

The fact is, it can be easier for many undocumented immigrants to buy houses than to get jobs.

To complete the purchase, they don't need a Social Security number.

An ITIN, their last two yearly tax returns, an official ID such as a consular registration card and a few credit references, such as electricity and telephone bills, are enough to apply for a mortgage and buy a home, according to experts.

"Residency has never been a condition to purchase a home," said Frances Martinez Myers, president of the National Association of Hispanic Real Estate Professionals, which is based in Washington, D.C.

"Being in the country legally or not is not an issue when you are buying a house."

If a buyer does provide a Social Security number, real estate agencies and lenders may request proof of legal status, according to Myers. But that is usually not the case with an ITIN.

"It is not illegal for an undocumented immigrant to buy a house. What is illegal is to do so using a false Social Security number," Houston immigration lawyer José Vega warned.

Although real estate deals involving non-U.S. residents have been going on for a while, Myers said that banks have only recently begun processing mortgages with ITIN numbers.

The Internal Revenue Service started issuing ITIN numbers in 1996 to enable people without Social Security numbers, including nonresident investors and illegal immigrants, to pay U.S. taxes, according to agency spokesperson Irma Trevino. The IRS has issued 9 million ITIN numbers.

Several real estate experts, including Wendy Buitron of the Texas Department of Banking, which oversees the state's financial system, confirmed that using an ITIN to obtain a mortgage is legal.

Real risks
    For illegal immigrants, however, buying a home can carry risks.

The biggest, said Houston real estate consultant Óscar González, of González Group, is deportation. If homeowners are forced to leave the country, they might be unable to afford payments and, therefore, could lose their home, Myers said.

Fraud is another risk. Paco Felici, spokesman for the Texas Attorney General's Office, said a Dallas operation that was selling homes to Hispanics without giving them property titles was busted in June.

Another caveat for undocumented buyers: Financial institutions tend to charge illegal immigrants higher interest rates — sometimes several points higher — than other borrowers.

As for banks and lending institutions that grant ITIN loans, the risk is low, experts said. For example, Banco Popular limits ITIN loans to a maximum of $150,000, spokesman Juan Carlos Cruz said.

Banks approach such mortgages differently.

Banco Popular, which has been issuing ITIN mortgages since 1997, does not believe it is the bank's responsibility to determine the immigration status of a person, Cruz said.

Checking the papers
    That view is not shared by Julie Davis, spokeswoman for Bank of America, who said it is her bank's policy to verify the immigration papers of a borrower when it processes ITIN mortgages.

"We do not loan money to people who are in the country illegally," said Davis, adding that customers can open a checking account with Bank of America by using a consular registration document as identification.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, 48 percent of the more than 40 million Hispanics in this country were homeowners in 2002, the last year for which such figures are available.

Although some anti-immigration groups claim that those in the country illegally pose an economic burden, a study by the National Association of Hispanic Real Estate Professionals said that home purchases by undocumented workers could result in $60 billion in mortgages over the next few years.

The total value of mortgages granted for home purchases in 2005 was $1.5 trillion, according to the Mortgage Bankers Association in Washington, D.C.

Estimates on the number of illegal immigrants in the U.S. vary.

The U.S. Census Bureau puts the figure at 11 million.

The Pew Hispanic Center, a Washington D.C.-based think tank, puts it at 12 million.

The Hispanic real estate group's study estimates more than 150,000 illegal immigrants who rent housing could afford a $98,000 home.

González is convinced that Hispanics, including illegal immigrants, are revitalizing the U.S. housing market.

"The real estate companies are focusing on the nontraditional buyers. Things are slowing down, and the focus has shifted to the Hispanic home buyer because of their numbers," he said.

Castrejón, Jorge and Maribel's agent, said one in five of her clients are undocumented immigrants. Castrejón said she sells 30 to 40 properties a year.

"This is much better than renting," Maribel said.

"We're not throwing our money away anymore."

olivia.blanco@chron.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

homes

Real Estate in Houston, Texas: real estate agents for selling or ...A directory of real estate agents in Houston, Texas. ... Castrejon, Gloria - La Palma Realty 5326 W Bellfort St, Houston, TX (713) 726-9907 ...
    www.realestatesmarter.com/real_estate_a ... s_12.shtml - 90k - Supplemental Result - Cached - Similar pages

Is this allowed? Got this on the interenet. Ms. Castrejon is knowingly selling homes to illegal aliens.

Love the 'undocumented immigrants' in the title.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We do not loan money to people who are in the country illegally," said Davis, adding that customers can open a checking account with Bank of America by using a consular registration document as identification.
    HELLO, Bank of America. Those conuslar registration documents are easy to get with fake ID. Do your research!!!!
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

Isn't "providing housing" for, mentioned in the statute along with "aiding and abetting" in the Law. How in the *&%*& can you buy property in a country that you are NOT supposed to be in and breaking the law by doing so?? I don't understand how this can be legal?? Looks to me like it would be the same as employing them!

MW
    "This is much better than renting," Maribel said.

"We're not throwing our money away anymore."
    Want to bet! If we can get our federal government to start arresting those that hire illegal immigrants, you're going to lose your job first - and then your home! Sorry, mortgage lenders in the United States do not take goats or chickens as payment.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I work in the industry.

Most of the time they pay cash. I don't work with them but I have suspected people in my office do. There is no way for me to confirm that, because agents don't ask for any identification in a transaction. Just name, address, etc. But you may never see a drivers license or ss card.

And they are not
    revitalizing the U.S. housing market
    the housing market had a boom on it's own due to low interest rates the last few years. It had nothing to do with any ethnicity.
    The John McCain Call Center
    [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/815000/images/_818096_foxphone150.jpg[/]

Just as a PS, I know at the title company they ask for a drivers license, so I don't know what an illegal would use for I.D. in that situation.
    The John McCain Call Center
    [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/815000/images/_818096_foxphone150.jpg[/]

TexasCowgirl,

I don't work with them but I have suspected people in my office do.
    Does it not bother you that you "suspect" an illegal alien is buying a house on American soil? American's can build but cannot buy land in Mexico, but an illegal can in our country.
    Work together for the benefit of all mankind

What's going to happen to all these homes when the housing market bottoms out like it's about to do.

I know nothing about mortgages but heard a young single mother of two on tv this morning say her mortgage went up by "4 points" which added $250 to her house payment each month.

If the illegal homeowner works in construction, he could loose his job and house. This would be poetic justice.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

had_enuf

What's going to happen to all these homes when the housing market bottoms out like it's about to do.
    The mortgage companies with the loans will "belly up", I suppose.

But let's turn this around for a minute - in reality, because we're contributing to the "benefits" received by these illegals (so they don't have to pay for their own medical, etc., we're putting them in a position to buy a house.

We need to shut the spigot off

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast