Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Morristown rape suspect wants 5th lawyer

Morristown rape suspect wants 5th lawyer

Judge lashes out after man, 27, seeks attorney who's Spanish-speaking

BY PEGGY WRIGHT
    DAILY RECORD
    Thursday, April 26, 2007

The trial of a man charged with dragging a woman off a Morristown sidewalk and raping her was put on hold Wednesday after he demanded a new attorney, his fifth in 21 months.

Superior Court Judge Joseph A. Falcone, sitting in Morristown, agreed to relieve the latest lawyer for suspect Joel A. Romero, 27, because Romero refuses to speak to counsel Douglas Del Tufo and claims he does not have "his best interests at heart."

Since he was caught in the act of assaulting a 20-year-old woman on July 10, 2005, Romero has gone through three public defenders and one private lawyer, Del Tufo.

The Morris County Office of the Public Defender is expected to reassign Romero's first lawyer, Jessica Moses, to represent him on multiple charges that include kidnapping and aggravated sexual assault.

Falcone reluctantly let Del Tufo step down from the case while acknowledging that the attorney has been a strong advocate for Romero at court conferences. But Falcone said he did not want to force a trial with built-in attorney-client conflicts as grounds for appeal.

The judge in February set a trial date of May 7, but said Wednesday he would give Romero until May 30 to either accept a plea bargain or go to trial. The Morris County Prosecutor's Office has extended a 30-year plea deal. Falcone said he had been willing to consider a 24-year sentence but upped the offer back to 30 years Wednesday after Romero started making demands, through a Spanish-to-English court interpreter.

I want one who speaks Spanish," said Romero, who is in the United States illegally from Honduras.

"Too bad!" blurted out deputy Public Defender Dolores Mann, who was watching the hearing in court.

"And I want to win the lottery!" the judge snapped at Romero. "You don't run the system. Let me say this again: You don't run the system."

Romero and co-defendant Juan Antonio Amendano, now 25, of Morristown, were charged together on July 10, 2005, with sexually assaulting the victim, a citizen of Great Britain doing an internship in New Jersey. On Tuesday, Amendano accepted a 10-year bargain and pleaded guilty to aggravated sexual assault as an accomplice to Romero.

A chilling account

In a chilling version of events, Amendano -- an illegal immigrant from Ecuador --said he heard screams and choking sounds while heading home along Lafayette Avenue around 2 a.m. after a night of drinking. He said he followed the noise and saw a man sexually abusing a naked woman. Amendano said he complied with the stranger's request that he hold down the woman while he -- Romero -- continued his assault.

Amendano said he held the woman on her chest and stomach to keep her still but ran when he heard sirens. He was nabbed running away. Romero, police said, was caught in the act of assaulting the victim.

Romero told Falcone Wednesday that he still might plead guilty, but he didn't want to talk about a plea with Del Tufo. Del Tufo, meanwhile, said he had spoken numerous times to Romero, stressed the seriousness of the charges, but that Romero by Wednesday morning would no longer speak to him.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 7704260338
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The arrogance of these illegal aliens is beyond comprehension.
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>

MW
    pjr40 wrote:

The arrogance of these illegal aliens is beyond comprehension.
    As their number grow - so does the arrogant attitudes. Just wait and see what happens if we give 20+ million of them amnesty.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

As their number grow - so does the arrogant attitudes. Just wait and see what happens if we give 20+ million of them amnesty.
    The thought of that scares me to death.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This just makes me sick!!

I can't believe the "stranger" HELPED the illegal sexually assault the poor woman, instead of knocking him off her!!

I'm so happy that the judge and prosecuter REFUSED to deal with his crap!! I think that illegals should have the choice of one attorney ONLY! They don't have rights in this country to begin with, so they shouldn't have the option to waste our taxpayer money on multiple lawyers!! I hardly think they should be allowed an interpreter as it is. If you're a legal American, you most likely at least speak basic English, and you DON'T NEED an interpreter!!!

I don't think illegals should get the same rights as legal Americans in the U.S. court system to begin with!!

I can see nationwide protests from Americans if this amnesty bill goes through!! (Will the illegals fight back or run away, I wonder?)

TexasGal

Boy I'll tell you what....

They just keep costing us and costing us and costing us...

How much are we saving on that head of lettuce?

How much does a public defender cost?
    How much will this cost the taxpayers in court fees?
    How much will the woman's medical and emotional care cost us?
    How much will it cost to house and feed him once he is in jail?
    How much to deport him?

Looks like he has been pandered to long enough if he's asking for his 5th lawyer, its way past time that Judge got pissed off and then some.

I couldn't even imagine what this has cost the taxpayer for some one that was caught in the act. Where is the justice for the victim, throw the book at him and get it over with for crying out loud. He has the right to a speedy trial, give it to him.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

OMG

As a human being my first thought would be to yell for help, call the police, anything but what happened...

The arrogance really is getting beyond pale. The demands... Like recently after the raid in Chicago -the 'community' thought it shouldn't have happned, was to heavy-handed, etc...