Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mother charged in slaying of her refugee daughter

There is a very good possibility that the mother did this if the daughter was becoming to "Americanized" or "westernized." It's not unusual, especially if the female was seen with a male who was not a relative or was associating with infidels.

Front page
    Najia Omar Mohamad, left, is accused of killing her daughter, Rohina Abdul Ali, with a sledgehammer.
    courtesy of KHOU

photos

Nov. 11, 2006, 1:56AM

Mother charged in slaying of her refugee daughter

The 22-year-old Afghan escaped a country at war, only to find death in Houston home

By ROSANNA RUIZ and ANNE MARIE KILDAY
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Rohina Abdul Ali fled her home in war-torn Afghanistan and settled a year and a half ago in a sprawling apartment complex in southwest Houston.

With the help of a resettlement agency that works with political refugees, the 22-year-old Ali soon was enrolled in a sewing class.

Her goal was to work while staying home with her young daughter and mother. She was featured in promotional photographs for the initiative.

"She was a poster child for the program," recalled Sue Davis, a board member and spokeswoman for the Alliance for Multicultural Community Services.

But that promise of a new and better life in the United States ended a week ago with Ali's bludgeoning death with a sledgehammer and, police now say, at the hands of her mother.

Najia Omar Mohamad, 49, was charged Thursday with murder in connection with the slaying.

She remained in jail in lieu of $100,000 bail.

At the Glendale Park apartment complex at 8701 Gustine, residents said Ali's family appeared happy, although some reported hearing troubling sounds coming from unit 4606.

The balcony of the family's apartment remained decorated Friday with a small wooden table and bouquets of artificial flowers, with a child's pink-and-purple tricycle tucked under it.

A small three-tiered shelf held several pairs of shoes.

'Thumping' sounds
    Adriana Nuñez, who lives directly below, said her 4-year-old daughter, Jasmine, complained Nov. 3 about loud "thumping or knocking sounds" coming from the apartment upstairs.

"We heard it lots of times on Friday night. My daughter was scared, but I told her it was not our problem, that we should stay inside," Nuñez said.

She added that she was unaware that Ali had been killed until late the following day. Nuñez said that she left early that Saturday to go to her brother's house.

On Thursday, Nuñez said, she saw Mohamad outside her apartment, where she "was crying all day." Nuñez also saw her talking to a Houston police officer, she said.

The sprawling complex where Mohamad and Ali lived is in southwest Houston near Gessner and South Braeswood.

Visiting nurse Michelle Rhem works in one of the apartments, for an immigrant who needs round-the-clock nursing care.

"I worked a couple of nights over here, and I could hear a young woman yelling. I heard that a couple of weeks ago," Rhem said.

Lashon Holloway, a resident of another nearby apartment, said she did not suspect anything was wrong.

"The young lady seemed to be a very happy lady," Holloway said. She described Ali's 4-year-old daughter as "very, very beautiful, always with a big smile."

Holloway said the older woman frequently sat next to the wooden table upstairs, where she played with her granddaughter on the balcony or watched her ride her tricycle.

"The grandmother would sit up there and the little girl would be playing with a big smile on her face," Holloway said. "Jesus, this makes me so sad. I can't believe it. I can't believe it."

Police lack motive
    Originally, police said, Mohamad reported that her daughter was dead when she found her lying in bed Nov. 4. After the woman's arrest, police said they did not have a motive for the slaying.

Ali's brother, who had moved to Louisiana in search of work, is back in Houston trying to gain custody of his niece, Davis said.

Mohamad was unemployed, Davis said, and the agency had helped her to and from medical appointments to treat arthritis, Davis said. She said the woman's record does not indicate any other medical issue.

Ali's brother and family friends declined to be interviewed.

The Islamic Society of Greater Houston paid for Ali's funeral and other costs, Davis said.

Other Afghan refugees who knew Ali are donating money to the organization to defray the expenses.

"The Afghan community is a very tight-knit community," Davis said. "They do not have the concept of welfare we have here. The community takes care of themselves. The community is coalescing around the family and trying to do what they can within the community for them."

rosanna.ruiz@chron.com;

anne.kilday@chron.com
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4327248.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

police said they did not have a motive for the slaying.
    They did not have a motive they could understand within the framework of "western" culture.
    "Liberty CANNOT be preserved without general knowledge among people" John Adams (August 1765)