Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Move Against TX Transportation Boss

Senator says Perry should replace transportation chief
    Carona says Ric Williamson has 'worn out his welcome'
    By Ben Wear
    AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
    Friday, January 19, 2007
    Gov. Rick Perry should find someone other than his longtime friend Ric Williamson to lead the Texas Transportation Commission, the chairman of the Senate's transportation committee said Thursday.

Sen. John Carona, R-Dallas, said Williamson's "abrasiveness" and single-minded commitment to toll roads and privatization as the solution to traffic congestion "has worn out his welcome in many communities across the state."

"I think it would be in the best interest of the state that he step aside in favor of new leadership on the commission," he said.

Williamson, whose six-year appointed term ends Feb. 1, declined to comment, citing a standing policy of not responding publicly to statements made by elected officials.

Perry spokesman Robert Black said significant changes such as those the governor and Williamson have made to how roads are built will inevitably ruffle some feathers.

"If Sen. Carona is one of those whose feathers are a bit ruffled, then so be it," Black said. "The governor has to think about the long-term transportation viability of this state, and he's going to do it."

Black said Perry has not made a decision about the Williamson slot on the commission.

Williamson, if reappointed during the current legislative session, would not be able to serve beyond the end of the session in late May unless confirmed by the Senate. However, Perry could choose to appoint no one during the session. Under that scenario, Williamson could serve in holdover status indefinitely.

Commissioner John Johnson, for example, has continued to serve even though his term expired during the 2005 legislative session. Perry recently named a replacement.

Williamson, an oil executive from Weatherford, served in the Legislature from 1985 to 1998, a period that overlapped with some of Perry's time in the House. He was appointed to the commission by Perry in March 2001 and was named chairman effective Jan. 29, 2004.

Williamson, particularly since becoming chairman, has been a dogged advocate for Perry's toll road policies, including having the Texas Department of Transportation analyze all new highway construction for the possibility of charging tolls.

Perry, who has a general aversion to tax increases, supports tolls because users pay for the roads, rather than the public, and because they allow borrowing so roads can be built sooner than they might otherwise be.

In addition, Williamson and the commission have aggressively moved the department toward reaching agreements with private companies, typically at the companies' expense, to build and operate tollways as private concessions on state-owned highway right of way. The centerpiece of that policy is the proposed Trans-Texas Corridor, a network of tollways, railroads and utility corridors paralleling the existing interstate highways.

Carona, who has led the Senate Transportation and Homeland Security Committee since February, has made it clear that he diverges from Perry and Williamson on much of that agenda. Carona supports toll roads in certain circumstances, but he said Thursday that the Trans-Texas Corridor plan was a mistake and that turning highway construction over to private operators is wrong. Such arrangements, Carona said, lead to higher tolls than if government agencies were running tollways.

He supports allowing the state's 20-cents-a-gallon gas tax to increase with an inflation index tied to the growth in highway construction costs and has filed a bill this session to make that happen.

He said Williamson has not been open to that and other options.

"Ric Williamson and his group take any discussion that seems to move away from their core position as a threat," Carona said. Williamson is bright and committed to transportation, Carona said, and always cooperative in appearing before legislators to discuss the subject.

"He is quick to speak, but not necessarily quick to listen," Carona said. "I think with the new session and the governor's new term, it would be a good time to begin a new relationship."

bwear@statesman.com; 445-3698
    THE POOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT IN MY AVATAR CROSSED OVER THE WRONG BORDER FENCE!!!

This guy is a HUGE proponent of the TransTexas Corridor. He even had the audacity to say Texas should be proud about a loan the state would receive to build the TTC because the bulk of the money came from TX taxpayers. Number one: I'll never be proud of the TTC. Number two: I'll never be proud of any LOAN! A grant, ok. A loan, no way.

I was told by three DPS officers here in Texas that Federal law they don't enforce...I am talking the Federal Motor Carrier Rules...they said it was an old law...and it is not up to them to make sure 18 wheeler drivers understand English as long as they can hand the officer a log book...that is good enough...Not speaking English is a out of service violation and the truck should be shut down...They rule states the driver must be able to read and speak ENGLISH with the general public...I called DOT and they didn't beleive me till I presented the facts verbatum with officer names and then they didn't know what to say...now where is Alberto to hang these officers out to dry as they will not follow the law of the land...
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

Heck, Alberto is just like these officers. He won't enforce the laws of the land, either. Throw in Congress, the Senate, and the prez with that group.

Quote Originally Posted by redbadger
    I was told by three DPS officers here in Texas that Federal law they don't enforce...I am talking the Federal Motor Carrier Rules...they said it was an old law...and it is not up to them to make sure 18 wheeler drivers understand English as long as they can hand the officer a log book...that is good enough...Not speaking English is a out of service violation and the truck should be shut down...They rule states the driver must be able to read and speak ENGLISH with the general public...I called DOT and they didn't beleive me till I presented the facts verbatum with officer names and then they didn't know what to say...now where is Alberto to hang these officers out to dry as they will not follow the law of the land...
    You should send your information to WorldNetDaily and also complain to your Senators and members of Congress. Get some press on it.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)