Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

MSU: Students express anger, concern over conduct of adminis

http://www.statenews.com/article.phtml?pk=40862

WEB UPDATE: Students express anger, concern over conduct of administrators, police with YAF-sponsored event

By JOEY NOWAK
    and COLLEEN MAXWELL

The State News

Students claimed Friday the arrests of five protesters at an on-campus speech given by the president of the Minuteman Civil Defense Corps were a result of racial profiling. Those arrested, all of whom are Mexican American, also said police used unnecessary force during the arrests.

About 50 students gathered on the steps of the Administration Building to voice their anger and concern with how MSU administrators and police handled Thursday's event.

"We are a country that promotes free speech," said history sophomore Raul Perez, who was arrested on the felony charge of resisting and obstructing. "Everybody that is standing with me right now was exercising their right to free speech and got arrested for it."

Perez said administrators stood by and watched students get harassed.

"I want my university officials to explain to me why this keep happening to me — why I was choked by police officers," he said. "Why did it take eight police officers to take me down? I'm not that big of a guy."

MSU police Chief Jim Dunlap could not be reached for comment Friday.

The event, sponsored by MSU Young Americans for Freedom and MSU College Republicans, brought Minuteman co-founder and president Chris Simcox.

Four of those arrested are MSU students.

Two students were held on charges of resisting and obstructing and violating a university ordinance that prohibits any person from disrupting the normal operation of any properly authorized university activity.

The other three were charged only for the ordinance violation.

University spokesman Terry Denbow said any racial profiling would be "heinous."

"I know there was no profiling or targeting last night because the university would not accept that kind of attitude on the part of police or any one of us," he said. "I can be sure of that."

The students listed six demands, including removal of charges, compensation for victims, a public apology from the university and police and removal of MSU YAF and College Republicans.

"We refuse to back down until we receive all of those demands," interdisciplinary studies and community relations junior Ileana Cortez said.

To hold YAF or the College Republicans accountable, students must take the proper steps, said Lee June, vice president for student affairs and services.

"Just because a person calls for a student organization to be disbanded — we can't do that," June said. "One way is through the speaker's policy. If (a registered student organization) violates certain principles, then we can go after them there."

Students plan to file a hearing and get a meeting set up with university officials to discuss Thursday's events, social relations sophomore Doug Schraufnagle said.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... 01/opinion

Published April 19, 2007
    [ From LSJ.com ]
    4 arrested at Minutemen co-founder's speech
    Evening update

Matthew Miller
    Lansing State Journal

EAST LANSING — Just before Minutemen co-founder Chris Simcox began his speech this evening at MSU, more than 100 protesters were gathered in front of Conrad Hall under a banner that read, “No human being is illegal.”

Later, about 7:45 p.m., four protesters were arrested when they refused to let the speech go forward.

Student activist Jose Villagran said the group had come to “visibly protest someone who promotes terrorism against our people.”

“Human life is more important than racist laws,” Villagran said in a speech to the protesters.

The Minutemen are an anti-illegal immigration group and serve as self-appointed guardians of the border with Mexico.

Simcox was brought to campus by two student groups: the Michigan State University College Republicans and the Young Americans for Freedom.

Protesters exchanged cat-calls — and arguments about the nature of free speech — with members of the groups sponsoring the speech.

Inside Conrad Hall, before his speech, Simcox said he was unfazed by the opposition.

“I feel sorry for them that they come from such a place of ignorance and hate,” he said. “They’re the true hate groups.”
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Student activist Jose Villagran said the group had come to “visibly protest someone who promotes terrorism against our people.”
    Who do you consider "our people" Jose? Here in the U.S.A. "my people" are American/legal citizens, of ALL ethnic backgrounds, who work hard to feed their familes.

Did it ever occur to you Jose, that the same slave wage "hispanic" illegals you are defending today are going to be relaced with the even lower wage accepting illegals that will continue to flood over our borders?

Yeah, what a plan you have there Jose.

MW
    "I want my university officials to explain to me why this keep happening to me — why I was choked by police officers," he said. "Why did it take eight police officers to take me down?
    I'll explain it to you! You were taken down because you resisted arrest. Police officers are trained in specific techniques to take down those that resist. The choking you experienced was the result of a neck hold which is standard procedure for immobilizing a suspect and the utilization of numerous officers is the basic procedure used to overpower the suspect. The more officers the better because it helps prevent injury to the officers and ensures an officer won't be overpowered and his gun taken. There, now you don't require an explanation from your university officials.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Great explanation MW, I like it!!

These people sure would like to take away our freedom of speech, This is happening at colleges all over the country.

They are also at every rally anti-illegal protesters have, doing everything they can to interupt it. I just wonder if our government see's any of this.

maybe these people need to learn our constitution before they are aloud into this country so they understand they are not allowed to infringe on the rights of American citizens, or May be our coward President should come on national t v and explain our rights to these people.

At least they arrested them, about time!!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

The students listed six demands, including removal of charges, compensation for victims, a public apology from the university and police and removal of MSU YAF and College Republicans.
    How about a few demands from American's while were at it.

How about compensation for American Victims from all the countries of illegal aliens that kill us at the rate of 25 american's per day?

How about an apology from your countries for dumping people like you in our country?

Oh yes, and how about the removal of all illegal aliens that broke our laws by sneaking across our borders demanding everything they can't get in their own country!

I want my university officials to explain to me why this keep happening to me —
    Your university? You mean because we "allowed you" to educate yourself in "OUR" universities, possible at "OUR" expense, this doesn't mean you can demand anything.

Now about someone explaining why this keeps happening to you? Surely you can't be this stupid, if so maybe you should go back and get an education, it seems you forgot the most basic part of why it keeps happening to you.

Here's a novel idea for "your people" as you call it.. Stop disrupting events that doesn't coincide with your views. We do have the right to speak our minds without "YOUR MOUTHS" running all the time.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn