MTG presses Biden impeachment inquiry to expand to border crisis, suggests treason involved

"And I'm starting to think impeachment is not enough" says Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, who also says Biden's intentional lack of legal enforcement of immigration law at the border is "treason."

By John Solomon

Published: December 19, 2023 11:14pm
Updated: December 20, 2023 1:15am

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga., is putting her GOP leadership and all of Washington on notice: she’s not settling for the status quo in 2024. Her first declared mission of the new year: to widen President Joe Biden’s impeachment inquiry to include the border crisis.

“We should be impeaching Joe Biden over the border,” Greene told Just the News in a wide-ranging interview Tuesday where she made clear she intends to pressure new House Speaker Mike Johnson to deliver on GOP promises made during the 2022 election.

The Georgia Republican and darling of Donald Trump’s MAGA audience laid out plans to start 2024 with a flurry, including:

• Filing an ethics complaint or motion of censure for Rep. Eric Swalwell, D-Calif., for helping Hunter Biden stage a Capitol Hill press conference last week that defied the first son’s required appearance under subpoena for a deposition in the impeachment inquiry;
  • Introducing privileged motions every week to force votes on impeaching Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas if House Homeland Security Chairman Mark Green, R-Tenn., doesn’t hold a vote early in the year; and
  • Creating pressure to expand Joe Biden’s impeachment inquiry to include the failure to enforcement immigration laws.

Americans “share our frustration that Republicans have not impeached Mayorkas at a minimum is outrageous,” she told the John Solomon Reports podcast. “We should be impeaching Joe Biden over the border. And I'm starting to think impeachment is not enough. I think these people should be held accountable for treason over what is happening at our southern border.”

Asked whether she would recommend adding a treason or other charge related to the border to House Oversight Committee Chairman James Comer’s impeachment inquiry, Greene said: “It should be 100%. It should be. But I think it's a lower percentage of my Republican colleagues that would actually go there.”

The second-term congresswoman made clear in unvarnished terms that she will pressure, cajole and if necessary shame her GOP leadership next year if it continues to fail to deliver in its core 2022 "Commitment to America" promises, ranging from FISA reform to shrinking the size and cost of government.

“I don't understand many of them,” she said of her GOP conference members. “I don't. I'm mad at my own conference right now. I'm upset that our leadership and our new Speaker hasn't done more to reflect what our voters want, because I think that's what we should be doing, and actually just do the right thing. It's easy to do the right thing. But no, we just don’t.”

She cited as an example of failure the House GOP’s year-end, frenzied passage of a National Defense Authorization Act that extended FISA surveillance laws for 90 days without changes while refusing to rein in woke policies inside the Pentagon. Those laws continue to allow warrantless surveillance on U.S. citizens.
“The NDAA that just got passed under Mike Johnson was unbelievable. A clean reauthorization of FISA, abortion travel paid, trans(genders) in the military,” she said. “And the one that is just so insulting is Mike Johnson allowed this 30% pay increase to be taken out that we had put in, that happened under Kevin McCarthy.

“Our first bill for the NDAA included a 30% pay increase for junior military members with rankings, i.e. E1 through E6. These guys and these ladies make $22,000 a year, and we wanted to give them a 30% pay increase, because they need it and they deserve it under this inflation that is crushing so many people. And the NDAA that got passed under Mike Johnson before we left Washington, took it out, took out that 30% pay increase. And I think that's absolutely unforgivable.”

Fellow Republicans aren’t the only ones likely to feel the brunt of Greene’s dissatisfaction. She proposed taking actions against Swalwell, the California Democrat too.

“I'd be happy to write an ethics complaint against him. I think there should be charges against Eric Swalwell,” she said. “If we actually had a legitimate Department of Justice, I think we would see charges against him as a member of Congress for aiding and abetting Hunter Biden to totally deny his subpoena, refuse to show up, which is breaking federal law," she said.

"But," continued Taylor-Greene, "we don't have a legitimate Department of Justice. We have a politicized and weaponized Department of Justice, that would do nothing … So at a minimum, an ethics complaint. Yes, we need to file one, I'd be happy to file it.”

Greene, who also pushed for censure resolutions, said that also is an option she may pursue against Swalwell.

“Yes, we can censure him. Think about it, if we were a legitimate body of Congress, we would consider expelling him for breaking federal law. But again, we don’t have a Congress that is that is willing to hold anyone accountable."

She added: “Shame on Republicans. Shame on my own conference for not stepping up and doing everything within our power to stop it. I'm purely disgusted with my own conference.”

https://justthenews.com/government/c...ed-over-border