Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

MULTICULTURALISM, IMMIGRATION AND AZTLAN*

One of the standard arguments invoked by those in favor of massive immigration into the United States is that our country is founded on immigrants who have always been successfully assimilated into America's mainstream culture and society. As one commentator put it, "Assimilation evokes the misty past of Ellis Island, through which millions entered, eventually seeing their descendants become as American as George Washington."1

Nothing more vividly testifies against that romantic faith in America's ability to continuously assimilate new members than the events of October 16, 1994 in Los Angeles. On that day, 70,000 people marched beneath "a sea of Mexican flags" protesting Proposition 187, a referendum measure that would deny many state benefits to illegal immigrants and their children. Two weeks later, more protestors marched down the street, this time carrying an American flag upside down.2 Both protests point to a disturbing and rising phenomenon of Chicano separatism in the United States â€â€
    "I can because I will, I will because I can" ME

Are they saying that George Washington was an immigrate? Or am i miss reading this?

P

the meaning

P; The phrase;

"Assimilation evokes the misty past of Ellis Island, through which millions entered, eventually seeing their descendants become as American as George Washington."1

I believe what the writer is talking about is that once you have entered these United States lawfully and have been processed through immigration, and then beyond that, SWORN THE OATH OF CITIZENSHIP,

you are from that moment forward imbued with all the rights priviliges and responsibilities of American citizenship, and forthwith command the same stature as the Founding Fathers, including Washington himself.

We are Equal, under the LAW. That ultimate LAW, by which States, and people within them must comply, is The Constitution of these United States.

The document is short and very readable. All told Constitutional readers(booklets) are not more than 50 pages.

This is the gift of citizenship to be an equal to such as the people who founded the Nation. cheers glenn