Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Núñez ready to rumble for revised term limits

I don't think so!!!

http://www.sacbee.com/111/story/122055.html

Once an amateur boxer, Assembly Speaker Fabian Núñez is no stranger to a slugfest or a political controversy.

Now Núñez is preparing for another bout -- one to extend his legacy, and tenure, as speaker.

Núñez is banned by state law from serving another term as head of the Legislature's lower house. But he is pushing to change that.

"I'd like to stick around this job another four to six years," he said. "I think it would be great, if the voters give us an opportunity and if my members continue to support my leadership."

The Los Angeles Democrat is promoting a plan to alter term limits by allowing lawmakers to serve up to 12 years in the state Assembly or Senate, or a combination of both.

From pugilist to politician, Núñez refuses to be counted out.

Núñez, one of 12 children of Mexican immigrants -- his father was a gardener, his mother a maid -- had never held public office before joining the Assembly in 2002. Yet he ascended to leader in his freshman term.

Fast forward four years, and Núñez, 40, has grown into arguably the most powerful Assembly speaker since Willie Brown.

His influence has skyrocketed through strong ties to organized labor, big-bucks fundraising and a growing friendship with Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger. He operates with a high-energy style, a willingness to butt heads, and a penchant for pushing major, high-profile legislation.

"He has emerged, I think, as a real power," said Bob Stern, president of the Center for Governmental Studies in Los Angeles.

But critics claim that Núñez -- a champion of Latino and gay rights -- tilts too far to the left, gives Republicans short shrift, and excessively polishes his own image for higher office.

"He's grandiose in his thinking," said Kevin Spillane, a GOP political consultant. "And when politicians get grandiose, they often get into trouble."

Núñez, who claims to "thrive on controversy," has done much as Assembly leader, including:

• Propose and pass a first-of-its-kind California law to commit the state to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

• Strike deals with Schwarzenegger to raise the state's minimum wage and to force drug companies to offer discounts to people lacking health insurance.

• Craft successful legislation to allow telephone companies to offer cable TV programming.

• Permit a partial takeover of the Los Angeles Unified School District by Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, an effort currently stalled in the courts.

Meanwhile, he racked up a ton of frequent-flier miles. He has traveled to the World Economic Forum in Switzerland, to Sweden and France to study preschool education, to Maui for a prison officers' conference and to Mexico to visit then-President Vicente Fox.

Around the Capitol, he is generous with those who work with him. But he can turn on those who don't.

He rewarded 20 of his top staffers last year with raises of 8 percent or more, including a $30,000 pay hike to Dan Eaton, his chief of staff, whose salary is $200,000.

But when Assemblyman Juan Arambula angered the speaker on a bond vote last year, Núñez banished the Fresno Democrat to the Capitol's tiniest office and temporarily stripped him of a committee chairmanship.

Arambula said he understands.

"What I can say is I've developed a very high respect for the difficulty of his position and how well he handles it," he said.

Apparently, so does Assemblywoman Bonnie Garcia, a Cathedral City Republican who was targeted for defeat by Núñez last year. She bears no grudge.

"His job is to take me out, and my job is to stay in," she said. "But outside of politics and the political arena, I have a great deal of respect for him."

Núñez, who helped lead the successful fight against Schwarzenegger's slate of GOP ballot initiatives in 2005, is known to poke fun at himself.

Twice married to the same woman, Núñez drew chuckles recently in his acceptance speech for another term as speaker.

"I must admit, it is the nicest vote of confidence I have received since Maria agreed to remarry me," he said, smiling.

"I've officially been speaker again for five minutes," he added. "Already, I've got six members who want a different office, three who want a different chief of staff and one who wants a different seat mate."

Schwarzenegger, in a written statement, said his relationship with Núñez "exemplifies the kind of leadership that will continue to move California forward."

Núñez said he hasn't forgotten his humble roots growing up in San Diego.

"Whether it's the janitorial staff or the person washing dishes at a restaurant, you're no more important than anybody else," he said.

The Assembly speaker said he is driven by policy goals, not prestige or higher office.

Núñez and Senate President Pro Tem Don Perata favor moving the presidential primary from June to February, which supporters claim would give California more clout.

The two also plan to consider proposals to let an independent commission, rather than legislators, draw legislative districts.

The relationship between the Assembly and the Senate occasionally has been testy. Last year, each side blamed the other for torpedoing a redistricting bill.

Yet Perata insists Núñez is an ally, not a rival.

"We have different world views, different interests ... but he is a remarkably skilled politician, particularly for his age," Perata said. "He's a real talent."

Perata and Núñez vow to work together to revamp term limits, which they argue will provide for a more experienced Legislature.

The duo also would benefit personally from passage of a term-limits measure in an early primary: Núñez could stay in office for six additional years, Perata for four. Assembly members are now limited to three two-year terms and state senators are capped at two four-year terms.

Núñez, with more than $7 million in campaign coffers, says he isn't desperate to stay in office.

But Spillane, the GOP consultant, counters that Núñez clearly savors the Capitol spotlight.

"You can just see the glee on his face, sitting in the limousine with the driver taking him around," Spillane said. "So I'm not surprised that he's willing to do whatever it takes to hang on to that."

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar
    This is the main slick con-man that puts California in league with Mexico. If he gets his way, he will control the whole state! I've seen his kind in other southwestern state governments and they are like a disease for which there is no cure.

Now Núñez is preparing for another bout -- one to extend his legacy, and tenure, as speaker.

Núñez is banned by state law from serving another term as head of the Legislature's lower house. But he is pushing to change that.
    No problem Nunez. Just declare you didn't leave office, the office left you. Keep going as an undocumented guest worker representative.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

California be aware

If this man gets to stay in office something is wrong. Where is he getting all the money? More than likely funnelled from Mexico! An open border, pro-amnesty crazy.

I saw a picture of Nunez not too long ago on the Internet I think, wherein he was giving the Mexican salute to their flag when he was in Mexico.

Here is article which really says what Nunez is all about.

http://www.americanpatrol.com/RECONQUIS ... 90726.html

California Coalition for Immigration Reform

5942 Edinger, Ste. 113-117
    Huntington Beach, CA 92649
    Ph: 714-665-2500/Fx: 714-846-9682

Fabian Nunez was a moderator at a panel of The National Association of Latino Elected Officials' (NALEO) campaign strategies conference at Chapman College JULY 25-26, 1998.

1) Fabian Nunez is an activist with ONE STOP IMMIGRATION, headed by Juan Jose Gutierrez. ONE STOP is one of the most vocal pro illegal alien advocacy groups in California and is under investigation by the FBI for misappropriation of federal and state grants. They coordinated the massive Los Angeles "Grande Marcha" against Prop 187 in October 1994, where thousands waving Mexican flags outraged Americans throughout the country. Nunez was on stage much of the time, directing speakers.

2) Mr. Nunez was a speaker at the Latino Summit Response to Prop 187 at U.C. Riverside in January, 1995. where 500 pro-alien activists, along with Art Torres' now infamous "Prop 187 is the last gasp of white America in California" statement, made racist, seditious speeches such as:

called for establishment of "AZTLAN" in "occupied territories of Mexico"; called the United States "AmeriKKKa" & "United Snakes of America"; referred to our southern border as "the false border"; claimed "187 is a declaration of war on the Latino community"; called Pete Wilson another Orville Faubus & Pee Wee Wilson; stated "gringos" stole the land of the territorial minority; stated "a classroom is just another space in which to organize, our areas are "sin fronteras" (without borders); human rights are violated when people crossing the border have to show green cards; claimed white men are the invaders; naturalization is a step to get back "what was ours - our land"; claimed the need for Chicano studies in schools & "English should be a foreign language"; "We're in a state of war, a vicious threat to our existence"; "We live in the annexed territories of AZTLAN"; "We live under occupying alien forces"; "We 're hostages in our own land, prisoners of war"; "We're the owners of this land"; "The white man keeps us ignorant"; "We'll take over our campuses, have joint educational planning with Mexico"; "By 2015 we'll be the majority, this means a transfer of power, historically we are going to win."

Mr. Nunez' verbatim (edited) speech at that conference follows:

"...there's only two kinds of power in this country and in this world ... economic power, and we don't have economic power because we don't own the means of production, but there's another form of power, and that's the power of the masses. So you can be as revolutionary as you want, you can be Chicano nationalists, you can be Mexican-American, you can be Hispanic, you can believe in the concept of AZTLAN, you can believe in the concept of multi-culturalism ... somebody can say "I am the only one that has reached revolutionary completeness" ...I'll tell you that on October 16th, 150,000 representatives from the sleeping giant we're not in a coma, but rather we're marching down the streets of Los Angeles saying that enough is enough and we're no longer going to tolerate the racism against our community... we can talk to our people all we want about Chicano nationalism ... give one moment of thought to what the importance of a national march on Washington DC in 1996 would mean for the mass movement of our community ... each of you get ten people to go with us on that march in Washington DC and I guarantee you just as we mobilized 150 [intended to say 150,000] to the streets of Los Angeles on October 16th, we will mobilize 1 million people and bring Washington to a standstill, and those rednecks that are out there making decisions for the betterment of their communities will think twice before they push forward anti- immigrant legislation against our community ... if you're still debating the question of whether they're Chicanos or Mexicanos ... we're not learning from the lessons of 10 - 15 years ago. The time has come for unity... in 1996 we are going to Washington on a mass mobilization there to bring Washington to a standstill so that they know we are there and that we begin to put into place those things that are necessary to insure that we advance the interests of our community."

QUESTION: Mr. Nunez' statements at that conference referencing "we", "our", etc. vs "they" appear to imply that anyone who is of Mexican descent is not a loyal American citizen, but is working with him to overthrow the US government and put the US under the control of Hispanic ethnic tyranny. Would you agree that is an accurate evaluation of his statements?

3) ONE STOP IMMIGRATION conducted the "Latino March on Washington" in October 1996, where 30 speakers supported "rights" for illegal aliens such as free education through college, free medical care, $7 minimum wage with rights to union membership, and another massive amnesty. Another leader of ONE STOP, Umberto Camacho, publicized that rally stating, Marcha Reference

"There is no difference between citizens and the undocumented, and we are taking citizenship to make that happen."

QUESTION: As a ONE STOP leader, does Mr. Nunez hold our citizenship laws in contempt as does Umberto Camacho?

4) ONE STOP IMMIGRATION conducted the "March 9 Coalition" rally at Los Angeles City Hall on March 9, 1997. Fabian Nunez introduced many speakers, one of whom was a representative from M.E.Ch.A., the militant student wing of the AZTLAN movement. She shouted from the rally stage,

"We are in solidarity with those who are being victimized under this racist system - we have lived under the tyranny that has lasted over 500 years - we are victims of genocide ... when the people in this building (including City Hall) no long listen to the community then we must burn the building. Thin they'll wake up. There is no justice - they're killing us ... this is our land - this is our fight? Forward, Mexican people!"

QUESTION: As ONE STOP IMMIGRATION leader at that rally, Nunez never criticized nor distanced himself from those statements. Does this mean that your NALEO moderator, Nunez, supports the anti-American hate violence and revolutionary literature being published on our campuses by M.E.Ch.A. which advocates the US southwestern states be reclaimed for Mexico and, ultimately, total control of the US government and the implementation communism as promoted by M.E.Ch.A?

CCIR is amazed that Fabian Nunez, a confirmed militant revolutionary, was chosen as a NALEO spokesperson, and that you, a visible Republican political figure, associate with him at NALEO functions. We will appreciate both your personal response as well as the response from Southern California Edison.

Thank you,

Barbara Coe Chairperson

Permit a partial takeover of the Los Angeles Unified School District by Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, an effort currently stalled in the courts. Does anyone no what these two are doing here ? this does not sound very legal, I've never heard such a thing!! take over to do what with?
    You people in Claif. better watch these two, and this is the exact reason we have to have term limits.

He should never be let in any office again, nor his buddy.I would like to know do these guys ever do what is right for white or black American?

What the heck is this take over of Los Angeles schools! what are they going to do next give taxpayer schools to (LA RAZA)?
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)