Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

N.C.: Fake ID business is booming

Modified Fri, Nov 27, 2009 05:14 AM
    Fake ID business is booming

North Carolina officials are reporting an alarming growth in the size and sophistication of the fake identification business, which has graduated from nuisance industry to national security threat.

At the end of October, the Department of Motor Vehicles had recorded 373 arrests for driver's license fraud, which includes both manufacturing and possessing the bogus IDs. That's a larger number in 10 months than the 294 arrests made during all of last year.

The state Alcohol Law Enforcement Division closed down a "document lab" in a Beaufort County trailer park a week ago. One suspect arrested, Raul Alexander Pinto-Gonzales, had been previously deported and is awaiting deportation again.

Also last week, state and local police shut down an operation in south Charlotte, two months after seizing document labs in Forest City and Gastonia that had been churning out fake driver's licenses for six states, Social Security cards, resident alien cards and birth certificates.

When authorities seized the lab in Forest City, Inspector J.T. Ratliff of the Division of Motor Vehicles saw something that scared him.

"We found evidence where he appeared to be tampering with military IDs, experimenting with making them," Ratliff said.

Demand among illegal immigrants is helping drive the growth of the fraudulent ID business, state officials said. Those undocumented residents need identification to transact business and to drive. All six of the suspects in the Charlotte, Forest City and Gastonia labs were either illegal immigrants or were suspected to be.

One card begets more

"It's not just [underage kids] getting a driver's license to be able to beat the guy at the door to get into the club. It's getting to be a much more serious problem for everybody," said DMV Commissioner Mike Robertson. "If you look at what businesses accept, your North Carolina driver's license is your ticket. It gets you on an airplane. It cashes your checks. It gets you other identification."

No terrorism suspect so far has used fake identification, but the opportunity is obvious, said Del Richburg, the Charlotte-based assistant special agent in charge of Immigration and Customs Enforcement for North Carolina.

"It is vulnerability," Richburg said. "If they're readily available, they're readily available to anybody."

Verification up

Law enforcement is gaining a couple more weapons in this battle.

The DMV in September finished shifting its operations so that all driver's licenses are issued from the agency's central office in Raleigh. Applicants still go to field offices and turn in their paperwork and proof of identification, but they only get a temporary license. The agency takes an additional 15 to 20 days to run the applicant's information through federal databases, to verify that the applicant is the person who walked in the door and that the address given actually exists. Then DMV mails out the license.

Those steps have cut down tremendously on attempts to get a fraudulent license at DMV field offices, Robertson said.

Unfortunately, it has also driven more business to the document labs.

The march of technology helps the law abiding and criminals alike.

When Ratliff and other officers arrested Jose Jeremias Marquez at his apartment in Charlotte last week, they didn't find a bank of blinking lights and plasma screens. The technology inside looked much like a standard home computer, Ratliff said. A bogus identification shop needs a high quality laser printer, the right card stock and a bit of know-how, and soon it's mimicking special inks and shiny holograms that probably will fool a check casher.

Criminals adapt

The Internet offers a variety of forums for ID forgers who share tricks to duplicating cards and the latest security mechanisms.

"The fraudulent side is always trying to keep up with the security features," said Richburg, of ICE. "They adapt, as do all criminal enterprises."

Some peddlers of phony IDs don't have to hide from law enforcement, because they are based outside the country. The Web site www.newidcards.com, which has a United Kingdom telephone number, also offers live operators who take questions in an Internet chat room.

When The News & Observer asked whether the company was concerned that its products were designed to help people break the law, the operator left the chat room.

www.newsobserver.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The agency takes an additional 15 to 20 days to run the applicant's information through federal databases, to verify that the applicant is the person who walked in the door and that the address given actually exists. Then DMV mails out the license.
    Yea, then they just start stealing them out of your mailbox! Face it most people are at work when the mail comes, and in these trying times BOTH adults are working... so who's watching the mail boxes? In my neighborhood there are 10-12 people living in one home... all the men work and the women are cranking out anchors, I have seen them go to several mail boxes at one time.

Most of them working in NC have taken the construction and landscaping jobs from Americans and use forged SS to give to the subcontractors who hire them.
    There is no pressure applied to these small businesses to use E-verify. I was in a NC Wal-Mart yesterday for Black Friday, and I saw alot of Spanish speaking people buying big ticket items so I assume many of them are staying employed.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Makes you grit your teeth together ,doesn't it? There is evidence galore our there as to what these people are doing. And still nothing is truly being done to get these criminals out of my state and out of my country!
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

In the end we are going to be forced to fight to take back what was rightfully ours.

They're are all criminals which is why they're illegal aliens to begin with. Decent people don't sneak into another country "looking for a better life" by stealing someone else's. That's why this "if they haven't broken any laws, then let them stay" makes my head explode. They've broken more laws that we can even list just being here.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I can only imagine how bad fake ID makers are here in NY as the MSM rarely reports about it.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)