Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

N.J. hasn't passed immigration law in 2007

N.J. hasn't passed immigration law in 2007

By RAJU CHEBIUM
    Gannett News Service

WASHINGTON
    New Jersey is one of nine states that haven't passed immigration-related laws this year, according to a new report.

From January through July 2, 41 states passed laws aimed at cracking down on illegal immigrants and helping recent arrivals better assimilate into U.S. society, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

The measures do things like prohibit businesses from hiring undocumented workers, require proof of lawful residence before people can buy firearms or get benefits like unemployment compensation, and require school districts to teach English to foreign students.

States are tackling immigration because Congress has failed to overhaul the system, according to the NCSL.

New Jersey waded into the issue Monday, when Gov. Jon S. Corzine announced a 27-member panel to recommend ways to help Garden State immigrants integrate into mainstream society. Headed by state Public Advocate Ronald Chen, the panel will examine issues such as English proficiency, civil rights and housing. It's scheduled to issue a report 15 months after it first meets.

In a state where one in five residents is foreign born, immigration reform is "not seen particularly as a state issue. It has been seen all along as a national issue," Monmouth University pollster Patrick Murray said Tuesday. "It's becoming more of a state issue because nothing has been done in Congress."

Though 30 percent of New Jerseyans strongly oppose illegal immigration, residents mostly agree that legal immigrants are assets, Murray said. Because of New Jersey's more "nuanced view" of immigration, politicians haven't been under fierce pressure to pass anti-immigrant laws, he said.

Reach Raju Chebium at rchebium@gns.gannett.com.
    Published: August 08. 2007 3:10AM

http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/p ... 80365/1006

Of course King Corzine will not do anything to uphold the law. How many laws and ethics violations has this evil man commited? It is a shame that NJ has become so overrun with illegals- it makes me sick.

As mentioned in the article, King Corzine is only concerned about the illegals' civil rights and providing them housing. I still cannot believe this unethical piece of you know what got voted into office. I was hoping that some day we would be able to get NJ back. Then this evil man was voted in and I cried knowing that NJ was pretty much gone.