Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Napolitano decides on immigration bill, but won't act yet

Napolitano decides on immigration bill, but won't act yet
    Mike Madden
    Republic Washington Bureau
    Jun. 27, 2007 01:41 PM

WASHINGTON - Gov. Janet Napolitano said today that she has made a decision on whether to veto or approve an Arizona bill to crack down on businesses that hire undocumented workers. But she said she won't announce her decision until next week, when the Senate is expected to be done working on federal immigration legislation.

Napolitano, a Democrat, came to Washington to help lobby for passage of the bill. After a speech this morning, she said the outcome could influence how she handles the Arizona legislation - but not the decision she has made.

"I'm going to act on that on Monday, so I don't want to tip my hand on that at this point," she said. "I have decided what I'm going to do. How I articulate that may change based on what happens this week in Congress."

The proposed state law would suspend and eventually revoke the business licenses of firms that knowingly hired undocumented workers. If Napolitano signs it, it would become one of the strictest state laws in the country dealing with workplace enforcement.

Napolitano emphasized that she has supported sanctions against companies that employ undocumented workers, but also highlighted some possible problems with the Arizona bill.

The bill under debate in the Senate this week could make the state proposal moot if it passes. It would allow most undocumented immigrants to get legal status, require employers to verify the work status of their workers and allow foreigners to come here temporarily for jobs in the future.

Sens. Jon Kyl and John McCain, both Arizona Republicans, helped craft the bill, working with the White House and a bipartisan coalition.

After her speech, Napolitano headed to Capitol Hill to try to persuade some liberal Democrats to support the immigration bill despite misgivings from many labor unions over the temporary worker programs.

"What happens if this bill doesn't pass?" Napolitano asked. "Nothing good."

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... 627ON.html
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...

You guys in Arizona need to do a recall and get this old bag out of the governship. We did this in California just a few years ago and got rid of a whimp we had as governor.
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>