Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

National Guard Unit Split on Border Plan

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060520/ap_ ... onal_guard

National Guard Unit Split on Border Plan By LYNN BREZOSKY, Associated Press Writer
    1 hour, 18 minutes ago

WESLACO, Texas - In the Rio Grande Valley, an area known for both blended cultures and intense U.S. patriotism, National Guard soldiers recently back from Afghanistan are taking stock of President Bush's plan to use their ranks to patrol the Mexican border.

Bush has promised that 6,000 National Guard troops would help out to secure the border. The deployment would last two years, with no clear end date, according to a Pentagon memo obtained Friday by The Associated Press.

"This is one battalion that can always be counted on," said Maj. Albert Lara. "Military service is a big tradition in Hispanic communities."

But not all his soldiers were as eager to get right back to work building triple-layer fencing and handling other logistical duties.

"Today's a last day for a very long time," 24-year-old Spc. Joe Pena said, his companions nodding in shared relief on Friday when they marked the official end of their yearlong deployment. "We're not looking to wear this uniform much longer."

Pena says he disagrees with having the National Guard patrolling the border.

"It's not the right thing to patrol the border, 'cause that's not what they're for," he said. "You're taking people from high-stress areas; you're putting them somewhere they don't belong. People are going to be getting killed. It could be detrimental."

But Lara said the Guard is ready for such duty.

"Our training prepares us to do a lot of things, whatever the case may be. We've proved we can adapt," he said. "That's what makes us better than active duty — we bring our civilian skills. Yes, we have a military mind, but we also have a civilian mind."

The Pentagon's one-page "initial guidance" memo to Guard leaders in border states does not address the cost of the mission or when soldiers would be deployed. But high-ranking officials in the California National Guard said they were told Friday that deployments would not begin before early June.

While the document says troops would remain under governors' command, it also indicates a high degree of federal control. It states that the National Guard Bureau's Army and Air Directories "will serve as the states' focal points for force-planning, training, organizing and equipping their forces."

Guardsmen in "all other states, territories and the District of Columbia" will serve a supportive role, according to the memo.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry and Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano said they would support deployment to the border. California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said he has not decided whether to participate, and New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson has criticized the plan.

Among Guardsmen in Weslaco, some said they were ready to sign on.

"As a matter of fact, I volunteered yesterday," said Spc. David Garza, 41. "I don't want to sound corny or anything, but I do believe in serving your country. ... Here we've got a security thing going on the border and here's an opportunity to do it again."

Garza said their time in Afghanistan was busy. They spent 12- and 16-hour days assisting combat infantry and going out on patrols. Being divorced, with teenage sons and a job that would wait for him, he said he might be more available than others to serve.

The recent deployment could be a plus, he said.

"Every infantry soldier you have here is fit," he said. "Some would say let's not wear them out. But some would say this is the perfect unit."

Pena and a group of younger soldiers said they joined the Guard for the educational benefits and chuckled at the Guard's mantra of "one weekend a month."

"It was a long weekend in Afghanistan," 20-year-old Abel Samaniego said.

Narciso Zapata, 25, has spent the past three years serving in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan, the first year with the Army. He got married five days before he was deployed.

"Three tours, three years," he said. "I'm glad to be back. I think it'd be nice to spend time at home, spend a little time with my wife."

He said he didn't agree with sending the Guard to the border but would go if asked.

"I think the federal agencies are doing an excellent job," he said. "I just don't see the need for it. I think a lot of it has to be political."

___

Ah, the new military. Take a vote to see if you should deploy to a new area.

I have to remind myself these are not the good old days. I served in the regular Army in the 50's. I can just see it now in the old days. I say to my 1st Sgt. "hey Sarge I don't agree with the reasons for our next deployment, so I don't think I want to go" and he says get your ***** & truck and keep your ***** shut. (Self edited to meet forum rules) {MOD EDIT now}

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican
    Ah, the new military. Take a vote to see if you should deploy to a new area.

I have to remind myself these are not the good old days. I served in the regular Army in the 50's. I can just see it now in the old days. I say to my 1st Sgt. "hey Sarge I don't agree with the reasons for our next deployment, so I don't think I want to go" and he says get your ***** & truck and keep your ***** shut. (Self edited to meet forum rules){MOD EDIT now
    Yep, my husband was in Viet Nam, and still in the Guards....the older ones seem to me, to be more patriotic.

But I worry, that Bush putting them on the border without guns, one of those drug lords will shoot at them.
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

But I worry, that Bush putting them on the border without guns, one of those drug lords will shoot at them.
    Moosetracks, my opinion this is really a big risk for Bush. If any Guardsmen are hurt because they cannot defend themselves, then you will really hear a big outcry from the American people. Also, really big risk is any terrorist act that might occur that is traceable to the terrorist coming across a weak border. I really believe this could be the last straw leading to impeachment.

"This is one battalion that can always be counted on," said Maj. Albert Lara. "Military service is a big tradition in Hispanic communities."
    this statement seems to be out of place to me
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

Mamie, I agree his statement seems out of place. Why would a Major in the Guard even find it necessary to make that point. I think he is trying to say that he feels the soldiers that are Hispanic will do their duty they are supposed to do anyway. If it's not a problem then why bring it up?

MOOSETRACKS wrote:
    Yep, my husband was in Viet Nam, and still in the Guards....the older ones seem to me, to be more patriotic.

They certainly are, Moose. Most of our Vets would have gone right along with our youngsters. My husband was actually excitedly waiting for his "notice" as quite a few in different specialties were called up.

A little humor: I just emailed my adopted soldier tonight about these guys wanting to go with them. I told him that "THE ONLY EXTRA THINGS THEY'D NEED WOULD BE OXYGEN & EXTRA BLOOD PRESSURE MEDS."

LOL
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)