Like Tree2Likes

Thread: NC: Bill that would deport illegal immigrants who drive drunk being reconsidered

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NC: Bill that would deport illegal immigrants who drive drunk being reconsidered

Bill that would deport illegal immigrants who drive drunk being reconsidered

Posted: Mar 09, 2012 5:20 PM EST Updated: Mar 09, 2012 5:20 PM EST

The bill was named for Scott Gardner, a father who was killed on Highway 130 in Brunswick County over seven years ago.

WSFX
    BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC

Lawmakers are reconsidering a bill that would crack down on illegal immigrants who drive drunk.

The bill was named for Scott Gardner, a father who was killed on Highway 130 in Brunswick County over seven years ago. He was with his family, on their way to Sunset Beach, when a drunk driver crashed into Gardner's car.

His kids weren't seriously injured in the crash, but his wife, Tina Gardner, still remains in a vegetative state.

The drunk driver who hit them was an illegal immigrant, who had several prior DWIs on his record. Ramiro Gallegos was charged with second degree murder and DWI.

Representatives Sue Myrick and Mike McIntyre re-introduced the Scott Gardner Act in Congress this week. If passed, it would immediately deport illegal immigrants who are busted for drunk driving.

Bill that would deport illegal immigrants who drive drunk being - WSFX - FOX Wilmington, NC
    Last edited by HAPPY2BME; 03-10-2012 at 04:07 PM. Reason: edited for format

It better pass! We constantly hear about illegal drunken drivers with previous arrests. Obviously being arrested doesn't phase them one bit, they just keep doing it over and over again. DEPORT THEM! ALL OF THEM! How many lives could have been saved had our existing laws been enforced?

The following is the written statement from Congressman McIntyre's testimony about the Act:

Chairman Gallegly, Ranking Member Lofgren, members of the Subcommittee, I am honored and privileged to have the opportunity to testify before you today about the “Scott Gardner Act,” H.R. 3808. I would also like to thank my good friend and colleague, Congresswoman Sue Myrick, for inviting me to speak on this very important bill, which strengthens our national immigration laws and preserves our public safety.

I have been an original co-sponsor of the “Scott Gardner Act” since Congresswoman Myrick first introduced this legislation in 2005 in response to a tragic accident which took place in my congressional district. On July 16, 2005, 33-year-old husband and father, Scott Gardner, was driving to the beach in Brunswick County, NC, with his wife Tina, and their two young children in tow. Their summer vacation was over almost before it began when their car was struck head on by a drunk driver. Only a few hours after being airlifted to New Hanover Regional Medical Center, Scott lost his life and his wife remained in critical condition. She would linger in a vegetative state for years. His children, though suffering only minor physical injuries, were robbed of their father for the rest of their lives.

The drunk driver was a repeat offender and an illegal immigrant, an individual who should never have been in this country in the first place. He had five prior arrests, all DWI’s, and one of those times, his blood alcohol content was three times the legal limit, a transgression which earned him only 30 days in jail.

Mr. Chairman, there is no greater evidence that our immigration system is broken than when an illegal alien, who is a repeat offender and who has earned himself a felony for all intents and purposes, is able to not only remain in our country, but to continue committing the crime for which he has earned a felony.

The Scott Gardner Act would ensure that DWI is grounds for mandatory detention and deportation of illegal aliens. Specifically, if a state or local law enforcement officer apprehends an individual for driving under the influence, the officer shall use a federal database to verify the legality of the individual’s status within the country. If it is determined that the individual is within the country illegally, the officer is authorized to detain or transport the alien to federal custody whereby he or she shall be removed from the United States. The bill would also improve communications between Federal, State and local law enforcement agencies, and it would allow those agencies and law enforcement to collect immigration information in the course of their normal duties.

The tragedy that the Gardner family experienced was completely preventable, but our broken borders allowed an illegal immigrant with five prior drunk driving charges to not only remain in the United States, but to continue driving and going about his normal business. I thank Congresswoman Myrick for her leadership in reintroducing this bill, and I look forward to working toward its passage. We must make serious changes within our immigration system now so that we never lose another life to a criminal who doesn't deserve rightfully to be in our country.
    The Act was reintroduced for the fourth consecutive time in the 112th Congress on April 8, 2011. On Wednesday, the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Immigration Policy and Enforcement held a legislative hearing. The next step will be a markup of the bill in committee. A date for the markup had not been set at the time of this post.

He was with his family, on their way to Sunset Beach, when a drunk driver crashed into Gardner’s car.

Bill that would deport illegal immigrants who drive drunk being reconsidered | Crime | West Brunswick News
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This should be a Federal Law!

ADDED TO ALIPAC HOMEPAGE with amended title ..

http://www.alipac.us/content/nc-bill...onsidered-244/

Moved to

Last edited by HAPPY2BME; 03-10-2012 at 06:09 PM.
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

RELATED DEPORT THE ILLEGAL ALIEN DRUNK DRIVERS KILLING AMERICANS News ..

CA - Gallegly Supports Deportation of Illegal Immigrants With DUI Convictions

Yet, there are numerous documented cases of illegal immigrants who receive convictions for drunken driving and then are not deported. Although these illegal immigrants have no right to be in our country, they remain in the United States. They are simply released and often go on to drink and drive again. This problem can’t continue to be ignored.

In a recent and egregious example, Carlos Martinelly-Montano drove while drunk, crashed into an oncoming car, killing one passenger and critically injuring two others. According to an ICE report, Montano had been arrested for drunken driving twice and reckless driving once. In two of the three cases, his immigration status was never checked – even though he was convicted and sent to jail for the first offense.

Even when he was placed in ICE “custody” after his second DUI arrest, he was released into the streets with a GPS device. However, GPS monitoring doesn’t prevent a released criminal from driving drunk. And we know that drunken drivers involved in fatal crashes are eight times more likely to have a prior drunken driving conviction than other drivers.

God, I LOVE Sue Myrick! She is so freaking outspoken, my only wish is that she represented my district.