Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NC: Carrboro El Centro Latino closes it doors

BY KRISTIN COLLINS - Staff Writer
    CARRBORO -- A nonprofit that served Orange County's Latino population for a decade closed its doors this week, saying the recession had taken a heavy toll on its funding.

El Centro Latino provided English classes, after-school childcare, employment assistance, interpretation and other services to the Spanish-speaking community, which makes up about 6 percent of Orange's population.

It closed Wednesday after its board of directors decided it did not have enough money to continue operating. The group relied on contributions from individuals and small businesses, as well as private and government grants - all of which board members say had fallen off steeply.

"It has been a wonderful nonprofit that has provided so many good services to the community," said Paula Gildner, a UNC-Chapel Hill researcher and board member. "It was just the recession. It's hit a lot of nonprofits hard, especially small ones like ourselves."

Gildner said the board has not given up on El Centro. It did not dissolve the organization and plans to hold a community meeting in January, bringing together county leaders, the Hispanic community and funders to talk about whether the group can continue any services.

For now, Gildner said, only the after-school program, run in cooperation with UNC-CH, will continue. English as a second language courses also will continue through Durham Technical Community College, though they will no longer meet at El Centro's office. The group's three full-time employees lost their jobs.

A group of Hispanic leaders spurred the creation of El Centro in 1999. It was among several service centers that sprang up in the Triangle as the Hispanic population surged, offering guidance, education and cultural events to people isolated by language and cultural differences. Similar centers still operate in Durham and Siler City, and Raleigh remains home to the statewide advocacy group El Pueblo.

"This is a huge loss for the community," said Chris Moran, director of the philanthropic Interfaith Council for Social Service, which shared an office building with El Centro. "Latinos need to have a place where they can come to and feel safe, where they can express their needs in their first language. Now where are those folks going to go?"

The group's tax reports show that its grants and donations had been declining for several years. In 2007, the most recent year for which tax reports are available, it took in about $190,000 in contributions, down from about $250,000 in 2003. In the past few years, the group sought out cheaper office space and went through several changes of leadership. An interim director, Ilana Dubester, had been running the group since April.

Needs remain

Board members say employees worked hard with limited resources to provide a safe haven for recent immigrants. In the past year, they were deluged with clients looking for help finding jobs, Gildner said.

Many say they hope El Centro eventually will reorganize with more secure funding.

"The needs are absolutely still there," said Richard Gugelmann, a pediatrician who left El Centro's board about three months ago. "And everybody there is dedicated to trying to help, but at the moment they just can't."

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local_ ... 13989.html
    287(g) + e-verify + SSN no match = Attrition through enforcement

"This is a huge loss for the community," said Chris Moran, director of the philanthropic Interfaith Council for Social Service, which shared an office building with El Centro. "Latinos need to have a place where they can come to and feel safe, where they can express their needs in their first language. Now where are those folks going to go?"
    A place where they can feel safe? Now that's an interesting statement to make. Safe from what I wonder? Why would someone who is in this country legally need a place to go where they feel safe?

In a any event, if they are here illegally they can simply go home. That's where they can go!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Agree, NoBueno. The land where roads are paved with gold and dreams cannot be threatening to many -- unless you have broken in here. Then, please be afraid.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Good to know Orange County is cracking down. I've heard the Carrboro public schools are filled with kids speaking only Spanish.

Quote Originally Posted by NoBueno
    A place where they can feel safe? Now that's an interesting statement to make. Safe from what I wonder? Why would someone who is in this country legally need a place to go where they feel safe?

In a any event, if they are here illegally they can simply go home. That's where they can go!
    Well, if they're illegal aliens, they need to gather, pack, gas-up and go home to their land of citizenship where they speak their "first language".

If they're legal immigrants, well, if they don't feel "safe" here, then they should return to their land of citizenship.

If they're US citizens, well, why don't they make English their first language and instead of "expressing their needs", go get a job and take care of their own needs.

What a bunch of whiny people, huh? I'm not impressed with El Centro, sounds like a bunch whiners serving a bunch of whiners, and I'm glad they closed down, what a waste of taxpayer money. Who knew? A silver lining from the recession.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

illegal aliens need to just get the hell out of this country.period! I am glad to see this place close it's doors to the population of illegal aliens! just need more of the same to happen
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

That is a huge gain in the community for them to close the doors.
    That's one small step for man........

Tony Asion, take note. El Pueblo may continue to receive taxpayer monies in the form of government grants, but it won't be the streamlined and fanfare replete funding you have been used to. Americans, and North Carolinians in particular are waking up to the way their funds are spent and to that I say, "Halleujah! It's about time!"

As more and more folks find themselves out of work, and those remaining on the job continue to pay into state coffers, you can bet that lobbying attempts to get continuance of previously funded programs is going to draw not only scrutiny but the ire of those who have been unknowingly contributing to their own detriment.

I say shine the light on ALL such organizations and shine it brightly with laser-like precision!

When the dust settles and the smoke clears, let the private donors fund these programs entirely without taxpayer money. They are free to pursue their own ideals so long as they do it within the confines of the law and without bureaucratically extorted funds.

Mark this down....I am not against charitable giving. Heck, I might even contribute personally if I know the money is exclusively used for those here legally. The problem is, such groups and organizations turn charity for ethnic minorities into a battle cry for amnesty and support of people coming here illegally. That just ain't right!

Hey Kristin Collins, maybe the reason donations are down isn't because of the economy, but because people are starting to understand they are funding illegal aliens?