Clary, Moore say illegals should not be allowed at NC community colleges

The Star (Shelby, North Carolina)
October 2, 2009 Friday
STATE AND REGIONAL NEWS
The Shelby Star, N.C.

Oct. 2--SHELBY -- Earlier this week, it was reported State Reps. Wil Neumann and Pearl Burris-Floyd plan to introduce a bill in the General Assembly that would block the enrollment of illegal immigrants in community colleges.

Their Cleveland County counterparts now say they would support such a ban.

The State Board of Community Colleges passed a new admissions policy Sept. 18 that allows illegal immigrants to attend two-year schools if they have received high school diplomas in the United States and pay the out-of-state tuition rate of $7,700 per year. Illegal students may not displace a United States resident from a class or program, the policy states.

"I do not think it's appropriate for illegal immigrants to attend community college," Rep. Tim Moore (R) said Thursday. "The key word is illegal."

Sen. Debbie Clary (R) agreed.

"I don't think it's appropriate," she said. "...They are here in the country illegally and do not need to be able to access government services of any sort."

Illegal immigrants are not currently admitted in North Carolina's 58 community colleges. The new policy, which the state board approved in a 16-1 vote, is being codified through an administrative rules process that can take up to one year.

"It will be a hot issue," Neumann said, "but I think in these tough budget times, to ask the citizens of North Carolina who are out of work to continue paying for illegal students is unacceptable."

Neumann and Burris-Floyd, Republican lawmakers from Gaston County, were primary sponsors of House Bill 294, which would have banned community colleges and state universities from enrolling illegal immigrants. Introduced in February, the bill stalled in the House Education Committee and won't be heard next year.

"I cosponsored House Bill 299 that would have barred illegal immigrants from attending community college and I still stand by that," Moore said.

Moore said if he were in another country he would not be allowed to take advantage of government services as an illegal resident.

"I think it should be the same in North Carolina," he said.

To see more of The Shelby Star or to subscribe to the newspaper, go to http://www.shelbystar.com/. Copyright (c) 2009, The Shelby Star, N.C.

For reprints, email tmsreprints@permissionsgroup.com, call 800-374-7985 or 847-635-6550, send a fax to 847-635-6968, or write to The Permissions Group Inc., 1247 Milwaukee Ave., Suite 303, Glenview, IL 60025, USA.

http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/En ... 51&start=4