Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

NC: College access for kids of illegal immigrants pushed

http://www.heraldsun.com/orange/10-769162.html

College access for kids of illegal immigrants pushed

BY JAMIE SCHUMAN : The Herald-Sun
    jschuman@heraldsun.com
    Sep 12, 2006 : 6:10 pm ET

CHAPEL HILL -- Former North Carolina Governor Jim Hunt urged some of the nation's top higher-education experts Tuesday to take the lead in ensuring that college is affordable for children of illegal immigrants.

Those children should be able to pay in-state, and not nonresident, tuition at public universities in the state where they live and have attended some K-12 school, Hunt said at "The Politics of Inclusion: Higher Education at a Crossroads," a conference that UNC is hosting.

At the conference, more than 100 educators and policy-makers are examining why minority and low-income students are less likely to go to college than others, and are seeking ways to reverse the trend.

Although it may be risky for college administrators to speak out about increasing access for illegal immigrants, the public will listen to what those leaders have to say, Hunt said.

"I think educators ought to lead this, particularly in North Carolina, where we have this great tradition," he said.

In North Carolina, efforts to let the state's illegal immigrants attend public universities at the resident rate failed last year. But in 10 other states, laws have passed allowing the practice.

States should pass such laws because it is morally right to do so, Hunt said.

"These children are our children," he pointed out. "They're children of God. They ought to be treated right."

Making college more affordable for the growing illegal immigrant population also will help the nation get the educated work force it needs to compete in a global economy, Hunt said.

The idea that it is an economic imperative to increase access to higher education for low-income and minority groups has been a constant theme at the four-day conference, which ends today at the Carolina Inn.

Panelists spent much of Tuesday discussing pressing challenges to inclusion. Today, financial aid officers will have a workshop on putting ideas they have learned into practice.

Hunt's address was part of a panel on "Present Challenges that Threaten the Goals of College Access and Inclusion: Middle-Class Resentment and Resistance."

Charles Clotfelter, a professor of public policy at Duke University, said that middle class families feel squeezed -- and, perhaps, resentful of aid programs aimed at poor students -- because of the rising costs of college.

"Not surprisingly, the middle class might be expected to react and resist," Clotfelter said.

Still, middle class families are not squeezed as badly as low income families on college costs, he said.

At another panel on Tuesday, lawyers discussed a second threat to inclusion: possible changes to laws on affirmative action.

Theodore Shaw, director of the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, told the audience of education experts not to roll over at the attempts of "right-wing ideologues" to curb programs that promote access for minorities.

"We've got to fight these folks, so stand up with us," Shaw said.

Rocco Testani, who leads an education and civil rights group at the law firm of Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP, said universities need to look closely at current laws when crafting policy on racial preference. Officials should structure programs and prepare evidence that are defensible in court, Testani said.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

These folks just don't give up do they?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

yeah right!

I don't know how I am going to afford to send my own kids to college. I don't see anyone beating down my door to offer assistance for tuition!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God

States should pass such laws because it is morally right to do so, Hunt said.
    I guess following our immigration laws, is not moral? With leaders like Mr. Hunt, is it any wonder that North Carolina has the fastest growing illegal alien population in the country?
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

Jamie:

Why was there no source that disagrees with Jim Hunt's plan to give in-state tuition to illegal aliens in your article? You cited several sources. Why did they all support Jim Hunt and the illegal aliens?

You are aware that over 80% of NC's residents oppose this measure?

Where is their voice in your article?

William Gheen
    AMERICANS FOR LEGAL IMMIGRATION PAC
    Post Office Box 30966, Raleigh, NC 27622-0966
    Tel: (919) 787-6009 Toll Free: (866) 329-3999
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Incredible. I shot off an email to the journalist:

* First, thanks for using the term illegal immigrant & not the euphemism 'undocumented'. Unless federal law is changed, they're illegal.
    * Second, children of illegal immigrants, unless born in the US at taxpayer expense, are illegals.
    * Third, some people interpret the 14th Amendment in a historical context & take the jurisdiction clause to mean anchor babies are illegals.
    * Fourth, it would be nice if someone could mention the glaring inconsistency that someone living in SC who has obeyed every law would have to pay out-of-state tuition.
    * Fifth, illegals cheat on their taxes by claiming multiple exemptions & not filing.
    * Sixth, illegals commit identity fraud when they do underpay taxes by stealing perhap YOUR or your children's SS#. I don't think you have to be a parochial middle class puke to get angry when your credit is denied because someone using your number is defaulting on loans. Can you mention the SS dept knows this but won't tell other law enforcement agencies or even you if your number is being abused? A lot of people don't know this because the main stream media won't report it. Want to see the poll numbers agaisnt illegal immigration go higher than the 80% mark? Mention this in every article.
    * Seventh, if you provide more incentives, more will come & then who will pay for it? The resentful & sullen middle class?
    * I used to support Gov Hunt as a life-long NC dem, but he has totally lost me on this one. I was taught obeying the law was a civic responsibility. So to teach illegals about our new civic values we give them treatment we don't provide to other citizens? Unbelievable.

In Florida we had a university student that was trying to have a bill passed to have illegals pay out of state tuition. It has only gotten her into trouble as she was reported to ICE and her family is in the process of being deported. She can stay for now as she is an International Student.

NC: COLLEGE ACCESS

Can anyone tell me if these illegal immigrant college kids have to register for the Government SELECTIVE SERVICE, or do they get a FREE PASS there too?
    I am so tired of the lawbreaker's getting preferred treatment while citizens get shafted.

I think that the illegal college kids do not have to sign up for Selective Service. Anyhow I do not think that many can afford to go to college as they are required to take a minimum of 4 courses, have proof of paid medical coverage and pay a large sum of money in many states. To go to one public Florida university and take 4 courses (one semester) costs an international student approximately $7,000. This does not include books. Illegals are considered international students when it comes to tuition.

http://72.14.209.104/search

Tuition and Financial Support For ‘Illegal Immigrant Children’ –
    The Proposals, the Political Response, and Future Prospects
    James B. Hunt, Jr.
    Board Chair,The Hunt Institute for Educational Leadership and Policy
    Former Governor of North Carolina
    I didn't realize Bazan-Manson, formerly of el pubelo, is vice-chair for the board of directors of la raza.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast