Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NC Couple Busted In Connection With Fake ID Ring

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/7883070/detail.html

POSTED: 1:59 pm EST March 10, 2006
    UPDATED: 5:56 pm EST March 10, 2006

EAST SPENCER, N.C. -- Officials said a couple in Rowan County were providing illegal immigrants from all over the country with fake North Carolina driver's licenses.

U.S. Immigration officials and detectives from Rowan County said they've charged two people in one of the most complex illegal ID scams they've ever seen.

Police said they arrested Jorge Cruz-Torres and Ma Edith Maciel-Quintana. Federal agents found Dozens of ID cards, Social Security cards, North Carolina drivers licenses were confiscated along with $20,000 in cash. They also seized thousands of dollars of equipment used to make the fake IDs, including cameras, computers, printers and laminators from the couple's home on East Division Street in East Spencer.

Benny Craige has lived across the street from the family for five years.

"I've grown attached to them. I feel bad about it I really do," said he said.

Craige said he had no reason to suspect anything. He said the couple lived quietly with four children in their house.

But according to detectives, neighbors missed a lot. Immigration agents in Charlotte called it the largest illegal card making scheme they've ever seen in our area.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents said thousands of the cards could be in the hands of illegal immigrants, or even terrorists.

Rowan County Sheriff George Wilhelm said Friday's bust is bigger than its impact on Rowan County.

"It's on the local level, state level and the whole United States level of IDs. These IDs can be gotten here and be taken anywhere in the United States and used," he said.

Officials said the two suspects are being held at the Rowan County Detention Center under $100,000 bail.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This just goes to show what a major problem we have in this country
    "My ancestors gave their life for America, the least I can do is fight to preserve the rights they died for"