Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NC: More concerns about illegal immigrants

More concerns about illegal immigrants

James R. Churchill
    Published: September 2, 2008

Morganton, N.C. - The letter written by George Ali (The News Herald, Aug. 3) deserves applause, not an oblique reprimand. His final statement, that anything said does not apply to legal immigrants, expresses my thoughts explicitly.

The letter "What do we really know about illegals" (The News Herald, Aug. 11), along with six other questions posted by the author, are what I'd like to respond to.

We know that illegals are what they are. They are mostly poor and uneducated people whom I have sympathy for, but this is a sovereign country and they are breaking our laws by coming here illegally. They want a better life, as our ancestors did, but, contrary to what our ancestors did, they are coming here and taking advantage of what our ancestors and we as citizens have worked all our lives to build.

There are some illegals who pay into Social Security, but many are doing so by using fraudulent documents. This is another law they are breaking. There are 40,000 who came here illegally, fraudulently got into our Social Security system, went back to their countries and are receiving benefits from the Social Security fund. This will help to empty the coffers of Social Security so that many of our hard-working citizens may not live to enjoy a benefit they've worked for all their lives.

I definitely do not think we should be grateful that illegal aliens come into our country, poor or not. The only ones I can think of that might be grateful are the ones who enjoy the benefits of cheap labor and possibly the elite .

I'm sure there are many citizens who have enough to meet their needs. I'm inclined to believe that most fall into the category of middle class and poor. The way I visualize the situation, the more illegals allowed to come here, the further down the social and economical ladder the middle class and poor will go.

We as citizens are all guilty of breaking laws, whether it be taxes, traffic or even felonies. This is our country, after all, and if we break the law we pay the price. These people break the law by coming here and many break the law afterwards and we pay the price for that as well.

It is and should be difficult to come to this country legally. As hard as it is, 50 percent of our population growth is due to legal and illegal immigration.
    Undoubtedly, many of the legal immigrants don't speak fluent English.

There's no doubt in my mind that most of the illegals speak hardly any at all. As I've stated before, just take a trip to Wal-Mart on any given weekend and enjoy the feeling of being in a foreign country.

I'm not real sure what the illegals do for entertainment when they're not working, but I do know those that work work very hard and their employers are enjoying the benefits. It has been said that they are like modern-day slaves. My question is, do we as Americans want our country to return to slavery?

Editor's note: According to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, the United States annually admits about 420,000 legal permanent residents ("green card" immigrants). The department estimates that more than 700,000 people each year illegally enter the United States and take up undocumented residence.
    http://www2.morganton.com/content/2008/ ... s-opinion/
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Yeah! me too. Repeat this a million time to our elected officials and just maybe they might get better opinions for our side of this illegal criminal alien invasion.
    Editor's note: According to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, the United States annually admits about 420,000 legal permanent residents ("green card" immigrants). The department estimates that more than 700,000 people each year illegally enter the United States and take up undocumented residence.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)