Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

NE-Governor: Feds need to take action

Governor: Feds need to take action
    By Tracy Buffington/Executive EditorSaturday, Aug 02, 2008 - 01:36:45 am CDT
    It’s time the federal government address immigration issues, Gov. Dave Heineman said Friday.

Speaking to the Fremont Rotary, the governor talked about the broad issue of immigration. He would not offer a comment specifically on Fremont’s recently defeated proposed ordinance.

"This is a very serious and difficult and emotional challenge," he said. "The reason Fremont is dealing with it and other cities are going to and the state is dealing with it is because the federal government has failed to address this issue.

"Pure and simple, they’ve got to secure our borders, they’ve got to decide what they’re going to do with the

12 or 13 million illegals that are here right now and then we need to find a more efficient, effective and speedier way for legal immigration."

Heineman said he would introduce a bill this next legislative session dealing with the issue.

"We’re going to deal with it again at the state level this session," he said. We’ll introduce a bill again that very simply says, ‘If you’re here legally, you’re entitled to state and local benefits; if you’re not, you shouldn’t get them.’"

A similar bill was introduced last session, but the Judiciary Committee blocked it from advancing. That move was one that Fremont City Council member Bob Warner said prompted him to seek a local ordinance that would have banned harboring, renting to or hiring illegal immigrants in the city.

The governor said instead of taking its August recess, Congress should remain in Washington and address issues such as immigration, energy and the financial crisis.

"The federal government has to resolve this issue," Heineman said. "They have to resolve the energy issue and the fiscal crisis that we have at the federal level. I would argue that instead of going on vacation for the month of August that they ought to say there and get something done on all of these issues.

"It’s easy to say secure the border, and we’re making progress there. We can develop a better system for legal immigration," he added later. "But the challenge they have got to deal with is we have 12 to 14 million illegals here right now. You have to decide who’s going to be legal and how they will become legal and who isn’t. Quite honestly, and I don’t mind being perfectly candid, they’re afraid to do it."

But he added it is a federal issue, one that needs a unified resolution.

"We can’t have 50 states and thousands of cities doing it differently," he said. "It’s a tough decision, I realize that. But make a decision."

Still, Heineman said he understand why people want to immigrate to the United States.

"America is the land of opportunity," he said. "I’ve had a chance to travel all over the world as governor. For all the criticism of our great country, where do people want to come? To places like Fremont, Neb., to New York, California or wherever it may be because we’re the land of opportunity and freedom.

"But I will also share with you that Nebraskans and Americans believe in legal immigration, not illegal immigration. We’re compassionate, but when someone is here illegally, it creates all sorts of problems and challenges for us. So we have to solve the issue."

http://www.fremonttribune.com/articles/ ... 238340.txt
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

We already HAVE laws in place, what the government needs to do is ENFORCE THEM! Anyone here illegally must be deported and banned from re-entering for at least 10 years. Birthright citizenship should be repealed. Make legal immigration a smoother process and only let in immigrants who we NEED and can help the economy. We don't need any illiterate, unskilled laborers!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

‘If you’re here legally, you’re entitled to state and local benefits; if you’re not, you shouldn’t get them.’"
    This is a "No Brainer". Now after years of the NE Treasury being gutted by Illegals can they get it done ? Big Business is making a good profit of the taxpayer all around this country , while the camber of commence deals from the bottom of the deck imo .
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

This is a NEBRASKA article - NOT CALIFORNIA!!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzm1
    This is a NEBRASKA article - NOT CALIFORNIA!!
    Your right , I'm wrong . Feel better now ?
    Had Fremont on my mind and made a simple mistake .
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

12 or 13 million illegals that are here right now and then we need to find a more efficient, effective and speedier way for legal immigration."
    I have one question...Why do we need "efficient, effective, and speedier ways for legal immigration?" This issue is not about legal immigration. Further, does this country really need any more emigrants from mexico? I mean honestly! There are caps in place for every other country in the world regarding how many we allow into our country annually. Is mexico the exception?

Why not enforce existing immigration law? If your pulled over and it's determined you are in this country illegally, then you are deported. There is no sanctuary policies, no excuses that immigration is a "federal issue!"
    Your simply deported if found to be here illegally. If that were being done across this country, there would be no need whatsoever for additional polices to combate this problem...

Oh, and we close that border so they cannot come back! That's how you deal with this issue!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Another comprehensive immigration supporter working for big business for cheap, illegal labor. Enforce the laws. We already accept 1-2 million legally each year.

These immigrants come the right way, wait a very long time and go through the time consuming important process. Oh, did I also forget to say they actually respect America and it's people, learn the English language and history!! THEY ALSO PAY THEIR FAIR SHARE OF TAXES AND DON'T COMMIT IDENTITY THEFT TO STEAL AN AMERICAN TAXPAYERS JOB.