Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NE - Taxpayers Sue to Stop In-State Tuition for illegals

IRLI Challenges Nebraska Illegal Tuition Scheme
    PR Newswire

Mon Jan 25, 3:57 pm ET

FAIRBURY, Neb., Jan. 25 –
    Jefferson County Taxpayers Sue to Stop Colleges from Giving In-State Tuition to Illegal Aliens

FAIRBURY, Neb., Jan. 25 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Immigration Reform Law Institute (IRLI) today sued the Board of Regents for the University of Nebraska System, the Board of Governors for the State College System, and the Board of Governors for each of the Nebraska Community Colleges to end the practice of public universities offering in-state tuition to illegal aliens at the expense of Nebraska taxpayers.

A 2006 state law made illegal aliens living in Nebraska eligible for in-state tuition. In-state tuition only covers a part of the expense of university study and is heavily subsidized by public funds. At stake are millions of dollars in improper tuition fees.

Federal law prohibits making illegal aliens eligible for any postsecondary education benefits unless a state gives the same benefits to all American citizens, regardless of residency.

The plaintiffs are taxpayers from Jefferson County. Kris Kobach, IRLI Senior Counsel, will argue the case for the citizens. "This lawsuit not only saves Nebraska taxpayers money, it also vindicates Governor Heineman," said Kobach. Gov. Heineman vetoed the bill in 2005, stating that it would violate federal law, but the Legislature overrode his veto.

In a related case brought by IRLI on behalf of U.S. citizen students, a California Appeals Court held in 2008 that a nearly identical California measure violated federal law and the U.S. Constitution. That case is now pending before the California Supreme Court. Kobach, who is lead counsel in both cases, added, "It is a great injustice when US citizens who have always obeyed the law are charged more in tuition than aliens whose very presence in the United States is a violation of federal law."

Ten states have enacted measures like Nebraska's in defiance of federal law. However, four of those laws have now been challenged in court, including Nebraska's. Oklahoma partially repealed its law in 2007, and bills to repeal the laws in Utah and Kansas have been introduced.

"Through legal action by public interest lawyers or repeal legislation like the bill just introduced by Senator Janssen of Fremont, the states are beginning to step back from open defiance of the Constitution and repudiate unlawful policies that treat illegal aliens better than American citizens," said IRLI General Counsel Mike Hethmon.

SOURCE Immigration Reform Law Institute

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnw/20100125/pl_usnw/DC43232_1
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"........

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    Hey Vortex:

Maybe you should log on to the DREAMACT Portal and tell them to take Nebraska off of their list. I'd do it myself except they ban me everytime I open my anti-illegal alien mouth.

Go ahead make my day . . . .. PULEEEEEEEZ??????

Click here for background information
    Resources

* Do I qualify?
    * In-state tuition
    o California
    o Illinois
    o Kansas
    o Nebraska
    o New Mexico
    o New York
    o Texas
    o Utah
    o Washington

http://dreamact.info/students/in-state
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn