Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

NE-Woman: Immigration Wouldn't Arrest Me

Woman: Immigration Wouldn't Arrest Me
    Immigrant Sought To Begin Naturalization Process
    POSTED: 9:09 pm CST February 24, 2010
    UPDATED: 1:09 pm CST February 25, 2010

Comments (44)

OMAHA, Neb. -- A Schuyler woman who has lived in the United States for 17 years and tried to get arrested in hopes of getting on the road to American citizenship said immigration agents wouldn't take her in.

Jazmin Marino's attorney, Bassel El-Kasaby of Omaha, said he felt that given her background, she had to get creative in order to get on track to naturalization. He said once Marino is arrested and on record, the process of citizenship can begin. After the attempt was unsuccessful, he's announced plans to file a lawsuit.

Marino moved with her family from Mexico when she was just 5 years old. She said their problems started when they tried to begin the naturalization process.

"My parents got their work permits taken away," she said. "My dad got deported."

She said the problem was the result of botched paperwork filed by a lawyer who has since been disbarred. After graduating from high school in Schuyler, learning English as a first language and raising a child, her road to naturalization was closed.

"It's really hard for the family to keep going on," Marino said.

She turned to El-Kasaby, an Omaha attorney specializing in immigration. He said he felt Marino had only one possibility left.

"In years past, people would turn themselves in to immigration and immigration would process them," El-Kasaby said.

The two went to Omaha's federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement Office to have agents arrest Marino. El-Kasaby said he had even contacted an agent about it in advance.

"I told them that, 'I'm here. So is my client. She's undocumented. We're both in the building. She would like to turn herself in,'" he said.

The agents refused to arrest her.

"I think it's not right," El-Kasaby said. "Part of the reason is probably that they do not want someone like my client to seek relief."

He said part of ICE's mission is to arrest people who are in the United States illegally.

El-Kasaby said he's filing a legal action in federal court, asking a judge to intervene.

ICE officials said they couldn't comment on the case because of the pending litigation.

http://www.ketv.com/news/22664868/detail.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

So the only path to citizenship in these warped minds is for her to clog up the court system for years demanding amnesty ala Obama's auntie.
    And if she arrived at 5 and has lived here for 17 years, she should only be 22 or 23. And she has the pre-requisite anchor baby in place!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Schuyler, Gibbon, Lexington, NE are full of illegals. Grand Island has our share thanks to Swift.