Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Nebraska-Illegals May Drive Legally Soon

http://www.nebraska.tv/news/local/5770556.html

Illegals May Drive Legally Soon
    February 12, 2007 Monday 7:30pm
    A new bill could put illegal immigrants behind the wheel of a car legally.

Nebraska legislators are considering a bill that would give illegal immigrants so-called driving certificates with out having to provide social security numbers.

The bill would help reduce cost for many legal residents who get into fender benders with illegal immigrants who drive illegally, without insurance.

Story Created: Feb 12, 2007 at 7:42 PM CST
    There's also a video with this story.

http://www.ketv.com/newsarchive/10989927/detail.html

Bill Would Allow Illegal Immigrants To Drive Legally

POSTED: 11:52 am CST February 12, 2007
    UPDATED: 5:05 pm CST February 12, 2007

LINCOLN, Neb. -- A Nebraska lawmaker wants to give illegal immigrants a permit to drive.

The proposal was before a capitol committee on Monday.

Sen. Ray Aguilar of Grand Island has introduced a bill, LB 266, which would allow illegal immigrants to obtain so-called driving certificates without having to provide Social Security numbers.

Aguilar said doing so would help reduce costs for many legal residents who get into fender-benders with illegal immigrants who drive illegally, without insurance.

The hearing room was packed with people speaking both for and against the measure.

"I cannot afford to get hit one more time," said proponent Mark Darby. "If this bill will remove uninsured drivers from the state of Nebraska, it needs to happen. This is not about immigration."

"I don't believe we should grant a sense of legitimacy to someone who violated our federal laws to be in this country," said opponent Robert Jones.

The committee hasn't decided yet whether to send the bill to the full unicameral for debate.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Really?

The bill would help reduce cost for many legal residents who get into fender benders with illegal immigrants who drive illegally, without insurance.
    Really? That's an interesting proposition! So tell me Nebraska, you will pay my higher insurance premiums for THREE YEARS, after an Illegal smashes into my car without insurance, and my insurance company foots the bill for me?

I would suggest personally suing (any Nebraska lawmaker) in small claims court for outstanding damages caused by accidents of Illegals behind the wheel! And charge them for aiding and abetting Illegal Immigration! Throw 'em in jail with their illegal "constituents", and see what happens.

The more I read and hear, the better it gets......
    Title 8,U.S.C.§1324 prohibits alien smuggling,conspiracy,aiding and
    abetting!

A better law would be:

Nebraska legislators are considering a bill that would throw illegal immigrants into jail before being deported 500 miles inside of mexico.

HOW STUPID CAN YOU GET!!!!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/200 ... 623640.txt

Bill would give driving cards to illegal residents
    By NANCY HICKS / Lincoln Journal Star
    Monday, Feb 12, 2007 - 06:25:22 pm CST

Supporters of a bill that would allow Nebraska residents to get a driving privilege card even if they are illegal residents, said the issue is public safety, not immigration.

But opponents, including several legal immigrants, believe the issue is immigration and laws should be followed.

Ivonne Jones, a legal immigrant from Brazil, said she can understand the desire to come here for opportunities and a better life, but “sneaking across the border is wrong.”

“It’s unfair for those who have waited for years to come into the country and have to go through the process,” to then give illegal immigrants the “gift” of the driving card, she said.

Senators are committing an “act of treason” if they pass a bill that lets residents get a type of driver’s license without using a Social Security card, said Susan Smith, an opponent of the bill.

It is an attempt to subvert the federal immigration act, Smith told senators on the Legislature’s Transportation and Telecommunications Committee during a three-hour hearing Monday.

“No one made it easier for me,” said Margit Payne of Valparaiso, another first-generation immigrant from Germany, who said she had to learn English before she could get a driver’s license or get a decent job.

“They already have done wrong,” she said. “They already came under the fence or over the fence,” while she waited her time to get into the country. “Why don’t they have to go by the same rules as all the other nations,” she asked.

But supporters downplayed immigration, which they said is a federal issue.

The Nebraska issue is public safety, said Sen. Ray Aguilar of Grand Island, sponsor of LB266.

People who want a driving privilege card will be required to pass the driver’s test and are more likely to insure their vehicle, he said. And he asked senators to sort through the emotion and deal with the “daily reality of residents of our state.”

An illegal immigrant who now lives in Omaha said he came to this country 13 years ago “to make a better life for my family.” People who need driver’s licenses are working, are going to church and they want to be part of the solution, said Luis Ortiz Rosales.

Because he can’t get a driver’s licenses, he also can’t get insurance for his car, he told senators.

When asked why he didn’t become a citizen, Rosales said, “There is no way I can do that. It’s no choice for me.”

Many undocumented immigrants who got driver’s licenses before the law changed in 2003 requiring Social Security cards, are coming up for license renewals, said Omaha insurance agent John Barrientos.

“We have people who want to follow the law. Yes, they broke the law to come here. There are people without documents. If there wasn’t, we wouldn’t have many people working in the packing houses,” he said.

And until the country changes its immigration law and allows people to immigrate here legally without paying tens of thousands of dollars, we are always going to have this problem, Barrientos said.

Aguilar has said he doesn’t expect the measure to gain passage but he wants the issue to be discussed.

Reach Nancy Hicks at 473-7250 or nhicks@journalstar.com
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)