http://www.delrionewsherald.com/story.l ... c446c42e3a

New agency heads at Border Patrol

By Jennifer Killin
Del Rio News-Herald

Published November 1, 2005

Following the recent re-assignment of the chief and deputy chief of the Del Rio Sector of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency, an acting chief and deputy chief have been assigned to the area.

A press release sent to the News-Herald Oct. 12, stated that the-then chief Paul M. Berg and deputy chief Brent L. Easton were being re-assigned to areas outside of the Del Rio Sector pending “administrative matters.�

The acting chief has been named as Kevin Stevens, who has been with the Border Patrol since 1980.

Stevens is a native of Maine and was raised on the East Coast, and served as a police officer before joining the Border Patrol.

Stevens' assignments include Fort Hancock, Texas, Buffalo, New York, and Fort Fairfield, Maine. Stevens has also served with the Border Patrol’s tactical unit in El Paso, the central regional office in Dallas, was assigned as patrol agent in charge at the Nogales station in Tucson, Arizona, and served as assistant chief at sector headquarters in Tucson, and senior associate chief in the Border Patrol’s main headquarters in Washington.

Stevens has been married for more than 30 years and has three children all of whom he is proud to say protect the United States in various career fields.

The acting deputy chief is Randy Hill. Hill was born in Nebraska, but his father was in the Army, and he grew up in El Paso.

“I guess you could say I’m a transplanted Texan,� said Hill.

Hill joined the Border Patrol in 1978 and his first assignment was in El Paso. His credentials include assignment to the Border Patrol’s tactical unit in El Paso, deputy of administration in the national firearms unit with Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), which Hill says was part of the Border Patrol at that time, he was then reassigned to El Paso as deputy chief of the special operations alliance national counter drug task force, and is currently listed as the deputy chief of the El Centro Sector in California.

Hill has a wife and three children.

The pair has been in Del Rio just over three weeks, and say they have received a wonderful welcome from the community.

“I was really impressed with how friendly everybody here is, they have been real receptive to us,� said Hill.

While Stevens said he did not know the length of his tenure as interim chief, he added that the mission of the new leadership would be to continue to allow the Del Rio Sector to work in the outstanding manner it always has.

When asked what, if any, changes the acting chief planned on making in the Del Rio Sector, Stevens replied that he is still learning the operations of the sector.

“Of course with any new leadership comes some changes, but from what I’ve seen in the short time I’ve been here, those changes will not be significant,� said Stevens.