Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

New bid launched for college aid to undocumented students

California is TOTALLY BANKRUPT and guess WHO (ONE BILL, "GIL") wants Californians to PAY FOR MORE ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT EDUCATION!!!! WHAT A BUFFOON!!!!!!!

Sacramento Bee
    January 11, 2011

A new push to allow longtime California residents who are undocumented immigrants to receive college financial assistance was launched today by a Los Angeles lawmaker.

Assemblyman Gil Cedillo is counting on new Gov. Jerry Brown, a Democrat heavily supported by Latino voters last year, to be more receptive to the issue than former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, a Republican who vetoed similar measures last year.

Cedillo's bills would apply to undocumented immigrants who have attended California high schools, adult schools or technical schools for three years or more, graduated or attained an equivalent degree from them, and filed an application to legalize their status.

Cedillo's Assembly Bill 130 would make such students eligible to apply for financial aid from a pool of money that is private but administered by state colleges and universities.

AB 130 also would allow community colleges to waive fees for low-income undocumented immigrants who meet the bill's residency, attendance and other requirements.

Cedillo's companion measure, Assembly Bill 131, would allow such students to compete for taxpayer-funded financial aid, such as Cal Grants.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlat ... z1AkyM3ITD

If they pass it I hope they don't expect the rest of the country to bail them out of bankruptcy. A loan from the Fed is not an option either.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Gee,here I thought they working to get California's budget back into shape. Guess we were wrong. Since they want to fund illegals
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Given the timing, I have to ask myself, "Are these two stories related?"

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-224237.html

Re: New bid launched for college aid to undocumented student

Quote Originally Posted by American-ized
    California is TOTALLY BANKRUPT and guess WHO (ONE BILL, "GIL") wants Californians to PAY FOR MORE ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT EDUCATION!!!! WHAT A BUFFOON!!!!!!!

Sacramento Bee
    January 11, 2011

A new push to allow longtime California residents who are undocumented immigrants to receive college financial assistance was launched today by a Los Angeles lawmaker.

Assemblyman Gil Cedillo is counting on new Gov. Jerry Brown, a Democrat heavily supported by Latino voters last year, to be more receptive to the issue than former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, a Republican who vetoed similar measures last year.

Cedillo's bills would apply to undocumented immigrants who have attended California high schools, adult schools or technical schools for three years or more, graduated or attained an equivalent degree from them, and filed an application to legalize their status.

Cedillo's Assembly Bill 130 would make such students eligible to apply for financial aid from a pool of money that is private but administered by state colleges and universities.

AB 130 also would allow community colleges to waive fees for low-income undocumented immigrants who meet the bill's residency, attendance and other requirements.

Cedillo's companion measure, Assembly Bill 131, would allow such students to compete for taxpayer-funded financial aid, such as Cal Grants.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlat ... z1AkyM3ITD

Mr Schwarz
    never Mind low -income for the illegal immigrant they should Not get any thing at all. why should californians pay for this . they have kids going to college also they don't get any help
    My Grand Son also att college & he has 3 job & no one help him
    so why should wE hELP THEM let them all go home
    NO Amnesty No Amnesty
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We termed him out. He is the main reason a lot of Califorians voted for term limits. Too bad that didn't apply to all the bills be had on the record for his community.

When they apply for instate tuition is doesn't say they have filed an application to legalize thier status - it says they will when they can. This gives them a loophole. Many haven't or don't intend to file to become legal until CIR is passed. They have no intention of coming out of the shadows and risking being deported.

Take nursing, because of funding California Universities are taking 20 to 30 applicants out of the 200-400 applying every year. So we give a seat to an illegal that cannot or may never work in the United States. If you check the point system on selection they give additional points for speaking Spanish and being from a low income family.

Plenty of interesting comments at the source link of the article.

Added to Homepage:
    http://www.alipac.us/article-5993--0-0.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

California lawmaker revives bill to give undocumented students access to financial aid
    By Matt O'Brien

Bay Area News Group

Posted: 01/11/2011 08:12:53 PM PST
    Updated: 01/11/2011 10:09:15 PM PST

A bill that would grant undocumented California students access to financial aid for higher education is being revived in the state Legislature this week.

The California Dream Act would allow students who are illegal immigrants to benefit from the same financial aid as other California students attending the state's public colleges and universities.

Assemblyman Gil Cedillo, D-Los Angeles, introduced the bill Tuesday based on one he first proposed as a state senator in 2006. The previous version passed in the state Senate and Assembly but was vetoed three times by former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, a Republican, who said it was too costly given the state's precarious finances.

Supporters hope they will have better luck now that Gov. Jerry Brown, a Democrat, is in office.

"He did say before November, before the election, he would sign it," Cedillo spokesman Conrado Terrazas said. "We are hoping that he will follow through."

Cedillo this year is splitting his proposal into two bills, one of which he said "will not cost one cent to the state of California." That bill, AB 130, would make students who are illegal immigrants eligible for the community colleges' Board of Governors fee waiver and other student aid programs administered by the public institutions they attend. Since the aid packages come out of a private pool, making more students eligible does not increase the cost to the state, Cedillo said.

A separate bill, AB 131, would allow undocumented students, if they are California residents, to apply for Cal Grants, a state-funded program that gives low-income students as much as $4,370 a year if they enroll in the California State University system or up to $11,124 a year in the UC system.

The move comes a day after Brown announced $12.5 billion in planned budget cuts, including about $1.4 billion in cuts to higher education.

Republican state lawmakers have not seen the bill yet but are likely to oppose it, as they have in the past, said Jann Taber, spokeswoman for state Senate GOP Minority Leader Bob Dutton of Rancho Cucamonga.

The state Dream Act would help undocumented students become productive members of society, said Kate Jeffery, director of student financial support for the 10-campus UC system. "For that category of student, it would fill a big gap," she said.

If his bill is approved, Cedillo said California would be the third state to offer financial aid to undocumented students, after Texas and New Mexico.

www.mercurynews.com

I saw this on the news this morning, I couldn't believe it. Why don't they hear us?????? I don't want my tax dollars paying for Illigal Immigrants in any way.....Im frustrated, angry, and have just plain given up on CA