Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

New H-1B Deal Being Hatched in Congress

New H-1B Deal Being Hatched By Industry, Hispanics, And Congresss
    [Rob Sanchez] @ 8:16 pm

Last week I sent out a newsletter warning that a deal is being worked out on Capitol Hill to pass a large H-1B increase. Since then, things have been silent in the media but that doesn’t change the fact that there is still a substantial effort to pass through an increase. Unfortunately there is only circumstantial evidence that a deal is being negotiated but I thought I would share with you what I know so far.

Bill Gates is going back to Washington DC next week to lobby for an increase. If there wasn’t a deal before, there will be when Gates throws his money around. His timing can’t be coincidence–right after the big primary and just about when Congress critters go groveling for campaign money for the next election.

I have communicated with Roy Beck at NumbersUSA and he assured me that the threat of an H-1B increase is very, very real.

Compete America sent a letter to Congress urging them to “consider a package of urgent reformsâ€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Round ten of a fifeteen round "Fight"

The challenger is looking for an upper cut and maybe a low blow to take the citizen to it's knee's..

but the contender although weakend refuses to go down for the count
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We'll have to keep a close eye on Baca's 5-year visa amnesty scheme proposal. He can try to redefine the terms and reframe the debate, but the bottom line remains that this is yet another amnesty scheme.

AirborneSapper7 wrote:

The challenger is looking for an upper cut and maybe a low blow to take the citizen to it's knee's..

AirborneSapper7--your comments are a joy to read!
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    AirborneSapper7 wrote:
    Quote:

AirborneSapper7--your comments are a joy to read!
    I am trying to find humor some where in this toxic mess or I would lose my mind

Here's how the situation is covered in the Indian press.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/art ... 839056.cms

US Inc to lobby for increase in H-1 B visas

5 Mar, 2008, 1150 hrs IST,
    Urmi A Goswami, TNN

NEW DELHI:
    The April 1 deadline and an election year have given American industry renewed vigour to lobby for an increase in the annual quota of temporary skilled worker (H-1 B) visas.

Microsoft founder Bill Gates is among industry chiefs headed for Capitol Hill to lobby for this increase. Alongside, Compete America, a coalition of industry, research and education institutions, have also begun pitching for an increase in the annual quota.

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services will start accepting applications for temporary skilled worker (H-1 B) visas from April 1 for the fiscal year 2009 that begins on October 1. As was the case in the past couple of years, it is expected that the annual quota of H-1 B visas will be exhausted on the first day itself. At present, the quota is at 65,000 visas a year.

Of this, 6,800 visas are set aside for Chile and Singapore as per their trade agreements with the US. This leaves 58,200 H-1 B visas for applicants from the rest of the world.

Experts say as this is an election year, not merely the presidential race, but also for the Congress, the industry may be able to persuade lawmakers to actively consider an increase. There are also reports of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus introducing a new immigration reform bill. This would focus on illegal immigrants, but hike in H-1 B numbers could be tacked along as well.

There seems to exist a support for this line of action within the American legislature. Both Democrats and Republican leaders in the US House of Representatives are of the view that any effort at immigration reform should take into consideration the need to ensure that “the best and brightest in the United States and around the world are able to contribute to innovationâ€