http://www.smdailyjournal.com/article_p ... p?id=57889

New illegal immigrants struggle to find work
By Heather Murtagh
Maximo spends his days at the Worker Resource Center in San Mateo looking for work, a task harder than he anticipated before he left his native Guatemala.

It has been nearly one month since the 38-year-old left his wife and four children behind to find work here, and every day he tries to find it.

Maximo, who asked that only his first name be used, is one of the countless men who can be found on the streets of downtown San Mateo each day in search of work. Many of these men spend days without any jobs. They are illegal immigrants who aren’t looking to become citizens. These men came here to work, to send money home and save some money before heading back.

These men are also the ones who will be most affected by the proposed immigration legislation currently in the U.S. Senate. The bill, authored by Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter, R-Pa., would strengthen border control and give many current immigrants the chance at citizenship. On Tuesday, President George W. Bush urged the Senate to approve the legislation by Memorial Day.

Maximo wasn’t focused on laws, however, he just wants to earn money to send his children to school. Where he is from, school costs about $15 per child a month and he wants his children to have that chance. Maximo was an orphan and struggled to find work throughout his life.

“The reason I want my kids to be educated is because if they’re not educated they’re not going to amount to nothing. I’m struggling so my kids will have a better future,” he said through a translator.

Maximo borrowed $5,000 and headed north because it’s easier to find work here. Since coming to San Mateo, he relied on the Worker’s Resource Center to find jobs and is already taking English classes.

The Worker Resource Center opened two years ago as a joint effort between Samaritan House and the city of San Mateo to help those looking for work and in turn keep the men off the city streets. Workers are asked what their skills are and jobs are given out through a lottery. The workers set their wages, usually $10 to $12 per hour, said Samaritan House Executive Director Kitty Lopez.

There is often outreach to get the right information about the center out to the new people. An ever-changing flow of newcomers creates a challenge, she said.

“I think it has been successful. We created a safe place for both parties to meet,” she said.

Even with the center’s success, Maximo spends most days just hanging out with the hope of work. He isn’t alone.

For Abel, who asked his real name not be used to protect his identity, the combination of no work and the pending legislation roused passionate emotion.

“The life of an immigrant is hard. It feels like the state doesn’t give justice. ... People come here to work. We’re not here to do criminal activities. We’re here to help this country grow. We’re all willing to follow laws but we’re not allowed to,” he said.

Like Maximo, Abel is looking to help his family. His money is taxed in the process and he said he’s trying to play by the rules.

Instead of passing legislation, Abel would like to see law makers sit down and work with immigrants to find solutions.

“When they make the laws, they make the immigrant people suffer. One day Bush and Schwarzenegger should be here and see what it’s like to find a job out here. The U.S. needs us and we need them,” he said.

Not all those looking for work head to the resource center, some can be found wandering around by Third Avenue.

For two years Gregorio, who asked his real name not be used to protect his identity, tried to build up some money to take back home to Guatemala. Every day he tries to get work on his own, but it’s hard, he said.

“Sometimes I’ll work one day and it won’t be until 15 days later before I work again,” he said through a translator.

In those situations he has to choose either to pay rent or eat. He often must not eat anything for days, he said. Gregorio, who doesn’t speak English, often loses work because he can’t understand what someone is asking. He has done many different types of manual work from construction to gardening, but watches jobs go to others who speak some type of English.

As he waits for a car to pull up, police cars drive by or stay in sight. Gregorio explained the police stay back until one of the workers gets in the car with a potential employer. Afterward a cop may follow them for a while before pulling the car over and arresting the workers. This has happened to Gregorio once. But this has yet to change his work ethic. He continues to search for work seven days a week trying to save money so he can go home.

“Ultimately we’re here to work. We’re going to stay here until things go good,” said Gregorio. “We’re not going to be here forever. Eventually we’ll go back.”

Heather Murtagh can be reached by e-mail: heather@smdailyjournal.com or by phone: (650) 344-5200 ext. 105. What do you think of this story? Send a letter to the editor: letters@smdailyjournal.com.