Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

New Immigration Bill Introduced in Georgia

New Immigration Bill Introduced in Georgia

February 4, 2011
    WJBF-TV
    By Brett Buffington

Amy Kiel owns Hogie Joe's, a popular downtown Thomson restaurant, known for Steaks, Burgers, and good times. She says at least 30 percent of her time is taken up filing out paperwork on her almost 20 employees.

"Taxes, payroll, taxes and more taxes." says Kiel.

She says, at her business, she's not really worried about illegal immigration.

"I check. Everyone is required to provide a state issued ID and a social security card. I assume that's enough, I also register everyone with the Department of Labor. There are many steps we have to go through, we pay taxes on everyone of our employees."

But many state lawmakes claim, that's not enough.

House Bill 87 will require businesses, like Hogie Joe's, that employ more than five people to use the Federal Employment Eligility Verification System, known as E-Verify.

The system checks current and future employees to immediately ensure they're in this county legally. The bill says companies that don't agree to use the system will not get a business license.

Georgia voters we found had mixed opinions.

Aaron Messick says, "I mean, if you don't do everything right, if you just come over here illegally, then you know you don't really deserve to get a job or be a citizen. So you know you should do what you have to do to be able to get your job and all that goes with it."

Lee Ivy says, "It goes in to more so of a hypocrisy, were you're forced to do it, otherwise you can't do what you want to do. If I got a business license, and I go through the proper channels to get a business license, no one should be able to tell me how to conduct my business if I take the right steps."

Kiel says, her business isn't going anywhere, so if the bill passes, they'll immediately sign up. "We'll do what is necessary to keep the government off our backs, so we'll do what we have to do."

http://www2.wjbf.com/news/2011/feb/04/n ... r-1425908/

Re: New Immigration Bill Introduced in Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by American-ized
    Georgia voters we found had mixed opinions.

Aaron Messick says, "I mean, if you don't do everything right, if you just come over here illegally, then you know you don't really deserve to get a job or be a citizen. So you know you should do what you have to do to be able to get your job and all that goes with it."

Lee Ivy says, "It goes in to more so of a hypocrisy, were you're forced to do it, otherwise you can't do what you want to do. If I got a business license, and I go through the proper channels to get a business license, no one should be able to tell me how to conduct my business if I take the right steps."

Kiel says, her business isn't going anywhere, so if the bill passes, they'll immediately sign up. "We'll do what is necessary to keep the government off our backs, so we'll do what we have to do."

http://www2.wjbf.com/news/2011/feb/04/n ... r-1425908/
    Wheres the mixed views?
    Well Aaron thinks if you aren't legal you don't deserve a job or citizenship.
    Lee talks about "taking the right steps" which if passed this would be a right step that she'd be required to take. After all its illegal to employ illegals.
    Kiel just says they'll do whatever is required.

Sounds like support all around to me.

here is a summary of HB 87
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopicp-1176210.html