http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/ ... 12a72.html

New round of immigrant marches slated

Web Posted: 04/26/2007 10:02 PM CDT

Hernán Rozemberg
Express-News Immigration Writer

Shaken by a nationwide barrage of government workplace raids, immigrants and their advocates acknowledge their political movement has lost influence but insist it's not a one-hit wonder.
Attempting a repeat of last year's surprisingly massive rallies and marches calling for an overhaul of the U.S. immigration system, they will stage rallies and marches in many cities Tuesday, including San Antonio.

But the thousands of arrests and deportations of undocumented workers in ongoing raids have muted immigrant advocates, who readily admit they don't expect turnouts similar to last year.

Federal immigration agents don't make random arrests, said Nina Pruneda, spokeswoman for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement in San Antonio. Cases where people, such as speakers, publicly say they're in the country illegally will be handled "on a case by case basis," she said.

Unprecedented demonstrations in 2006 followed a colossal march in Los Angeles of an estimated 500,000 people. In San Antonio, which saw much less activity than other large cities, the May 1 march attracted around 18,000 participants. Some organizers said they'd be happy with 5,000 this time around.

As they did last year, organizers are asking people to gather for a rally at Milam Park at 6 p.m. and then walk a few blocks to Travis Park, where another rally will be held.

The turnout this year is not the only unknown factor. The fissure that developed last year among advocates over protest tactics has surfaced again over whether to support or oppose an economic boycott and walkouts by high school students.

In San Antonio, churches and some labor unions want workers to go to work and students to stay in school, then gather for the evening rallies.

But other advocates, who see themselves as part of a younger and more grassroots effort that jump-started the marches last year, think strikes, boycotts and walkouts will cause more impact.

One of the lead groups organizing Tuesday's rally and march, the Southwest Workers Union, has called for a "general strike," encouraging people to skip work, employers to close up shop, students to stage walk-outs and everybody to avoid buying anything — even encouraging Mexican shoppers who typically cross north for shopping to stay put.

Not shy about controversy — even willing to court it — the union is calling for immigrants to bring the flags of home countries.

The idea is to show the diversity of the immigrant community, said Ché López, the union's co-director. But the group is making no similar call for participants to also carry the U.S. flag, a move sure to draw critics who argue that migrants care more about home than truly assimilating into their adopted country.

"We realize not everybody's going to support us," López said. "That's OK. But one thing we realized from last year is that the community has to take the lead."

Some people will heed the call, saying that despite widespread fear, immigrants need to show their face now more than ever.

Since gaining U.S. citizenship, Rosa Jaco hasn't had to worry about being deported, but she still distinctly remembers her harrowing border-crossing trek from El Salvador 22 years ago. So the least she can do is lend her support to others trying to attain their American Dream, she said.

On Tuesday, Jaco will close her family-operated store, Frutería Los Amigos on Roosevelt Avenue, and take her husband and four children to the march.

A senior at Edison High School has gathered at least a dozen friends to head to Milam Park on Tuesday as soon as school ends.

The student will be participating as his own advocate — ready to graduate this spring, his future college and work plans remain uncertain because he's in the country illegally.

"My dad doesn't want me to go because it might get us in trouble with immigration," he said, asking his name not be printed. "But I haven't done anything wrong. I'm not a criminal. I'm a good student."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I see the buzz words "sustainable development" who do I think of? THE UN>

From the web site of the southwest workers union:

mission statement
To empower people of color, workers, youth and grassroots communities through education, local leadership development, training, hands-on organizing and mobilizing. We strive to build membership based organizations, coalitions and networks to gain power to achieve environmentally safe and sustainable communties, jobs and fair wages with dignity and justice.