Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

New Texas driver's license rules draw lawsuit

This isn't much of a suprise to me.

New Texas driver's license rules draw lawsuit
    By Diana Washington Valdez / El Paso Times
    Posted: 01/15/2009 12:00:00 AM MST

EL PASO -- The Texas Civil Rights Project filed a lawsuit Wednesday in Austin against the Texas Department of Public Safety over new driver's license rules for immigrants who are not U.S. citizens or permanent legal residents.

James Harrington, director of the nonprofit foundation that promotes civil rights and economic and racial justice, said the rules, which went into effect in October, discriminate against Hispanics and people of other nationalities, and place an unfair financial burden on certain immigrants, including victims of domestic violence.

Harrington, who represents the plaintiffs, also said the rules "create a danger to the public safety because (the new rules) force people to drive without insurance. (They) are ill-conceived, unconscionable and counterproductive."

In response to the lawsuit, Department of Public Safety spokeswoman Tela Mange said, "We do not comment on pending litigation." Information was not available on how many people might be affected by the rules.

A hearing for a temporary injunction against the state agency's new rules is set for Wednesday at the Travis County Courthouse.

Ray Rojas, executive director of Las Americas in El Paso, said his office often represents immigrants who are affected by the new rules.

"The state passed this law without fully comprehending the magnitude and duration of the immigration process," Rojas said.

Under the new rules, which include people with special cases pending before U.S. immigration

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    authorities, immigrants must show proof of work authorization from the federal government that is for longer than a six-month period or lose their license or not be able to receive one.
    They also must renew their license every six months and pay the $24 renewal fee each time. A regular Texas driver pays $24 to renew a license once every four years.

However, Harrington said, the federal government cannot always provide a formal extension of the work authorization for a period that coincides with the state's six-month rule. And the state won't accept informal letters from the federal government.

"This is especially a problem with abused immigrant women who have petitions pending for legal status in the country under the Violence Against Women Act," said Amanda Hill, Texas Civil Rights Project's director of community outreach and development. "This is an enormous burden ($192 over a four-year period) for single mothers who are generally making the minimum wage and supporting their children."

One of the three plaintiffs in the case filed in Travis County District Court lost her license of 18 years because of the new rules. The plaintiffs included two natives of Mexico and a native of Honduras.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_11457252
    We see so many tribes overrun and undermined

While their invaders dream of lands they've left behind

Better people...better food...and better beer...

Why move around the world when Eden was so near?
    -Neil Peart from the song Territories&

Harrington, who represents the plaintiffs, also said the rules "create a danger to the public safety because (the new rules) force people to drive without insurance. (They) are ill-conceived, unconscionable and counterproductive."

OK, I get it...so the fact that someone lost their license due to a DUI, FORCES them to have to drive illegally. Or the fact the grocery charges too much FORCES me to have to steal food...or maybe that the govenment takes too much of my tax $ FORCES me to have to cheat on my taxes...and so on.

Stupid way of thinking. Uncle Sam grow some balls and have some tough love.

...the rules, ...discriminate against Hispanics and people of other nationalities, and place an unfair financial burden on certain immigrants.
    Translation:
    Hispanics: Highest population of illegal aliens in the US, specifically from Mexico (Pew Hispanic Center study) and insulting statement about Hispanic Americans and Immigrants.
    People of other nationalities: Foreign nationals.
    Certain immigrants: Illegal Aliens, which are not immigrants.

Can this guy speak English? He's very confused.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by ronny

OK, I get it...so the fact that someone lost their license due to a DUI, FORCES them to have to drive illegally. Or the fact the grocery charges too much FORCES me to have to steal food...or maybe that the govenment takes too much of my tax $ FORCES me to have to cheat on my taxes...and so on.

Stupid way of thinking. Uncle Sam grow some balls and have some tough love.
    You are absolutely right. How many of these minimum wage people would be able to afford insurance anyway? Insurance for an automobile is pretty expensive. Especially if you just moved to Texas and had no previous driving history. These illegals don't give a crap if they have a license, inspection sticker, insurance or what ever. They don't care about our laws and have proved that already by coming here illegally.
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

Their points are not even close to valid!!!! The law doesn't state having anything against a certain Race of people! It applies to all people!! Why do these cases even get heard???? MADNESS!!!! I wish that the state could counter sue the plaintiffs!!!
    Work Harder Millions on Welfare Depend on You!

Taxes: Land of Confusion

I am really ticked off with my home state, Taxes for passing this law. Like much of the general population, I did not know about it or care about it, until now that it effects me.

However, I have paid thousands of dollars of Federal Government fees waited almost a complete year to go through the immigration process and how my wife can not legally drive here because of some H/S law that her Form I-94 must be issued with an original validity of at least one year and have 6 months remaining before expiration.

We have the visa, the marriage license, a social security number, etc. There is no reasonable explination not to issue her a license that is valid through her I-94 expiration. I am not against common sense laws, but this is simply not one of them.

jkbrill, I believe your wife can still use her valid DL from whatever country she came from. We have tourist, visting businessmen, etc. that use their DL from their home countries to rent and drive rental cars while here. While you are using a foreign DL you are supposed to have the proper documents proving your right to be in this country. The problem with illegal aliens is they don't have the proper documentation to back up their DL (if they even have a DL).

Correct, in Texas you can drive legally with a foreign driver's license. Check the DPS for list of acceptable countries and rules.

The changes are good changes because out of status illegal aliens were getting licenses that looked just like citizens.

Also, the visa could be revoked prior to the expiration, that's why the law is written the way it is written.

Also,
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    Correct, in Texas you can drive legally with a foreign driver's license. Check the DPS for list of acceptable countries and rules.
    So that invalidates their argument that they are forced to drive without license and/or insurance. They can simply drive using their Mexica drivers license.

The reason they want a Texas drivers license is that they can obtain many other forms of identification using the DL as proof of citizenship.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieMay
    The reason they want a Texas drivers license is that they can obtain many other forms of identification using the DL as proof of citizenship.
    B I N G O!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast